MOT CLass

thomasplc

Keithl - 2018-05-11 10:56 AM

Correct.

But only as long as the Body Type on the V5C (logbook) is correctly listed as Motor Caravan.

Keith.

Edit: And confirmation from Gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

To qualify a motorhome for a Class IV MOT test, I believe that it’s not imperative that the vehicle’s V5C carries “Motor Caravan” in the document’s Body Type field.

There’s a long piece about MOTs for motorhomes here

https://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/motorhome-mots

and (within the VOSA dialogue) it’s highlighted that there’s no direct link between the regulations the DVLA works to when UK-registering a vehicle and the regulations that govern MOT testing.

My understanding is that Class IV MOT testing currently relates to motor vehicles in EU categories L5e, L6e, L7e, M1, M2, M3 and N1 that MOT-test Classes III, IVA, V, VA, VI, VIA or VII do not apply to, and also to American pickups.

So it’s not the V5C’s Body-Type datum that actually qualifies a motorhome for a Class IV MOT test - it’s the fact that the vehicle is in the EU M1 category.

It has also been mentioned in other past discussions on this subject, some going back several years, that the MOT tester should test the vehicle in the class appropriate to its 'as presented' state.

So for example if you take a van that has been converted correctly to a motor caravan / campervan / motorhome it should be tested as a class 4.

If you take a van that has a couple of windows fitted and a mattress on the floor, a portable two burner gas stove and a washing up bowl on the floor it will be a class 7.

'

I am sure that there can be no question that the OP's Hymer will be 'presented' as a motor caravan and will be a class 4. ( unless all of the internal fittings have been stripped out. :-D

Harvey

I did take the trouble to read it, thankyou, this was just a reminder that things have moved on.

????

Incidently I took my moho in for a test last week although it wasn't due for a while, as the test has been stiifened up from this weekend, so I have another year before I have to worry about the new regulations.

Archived