MOT's extended by 6 months

Keithl

This extension does not apply retrospectively; my MH's MOT expired 1/3/20 and I SORNed the MH shortly before then.  It seem I still have to get it MOTed before I can re-tax and start driving it again.

It's going to stay SORNed for now.

StuartO - 2020-03-25 11:46 AM

This extension does not apply retrospectively; my MH's MOT expired 1/3/20 and I SORNed the MH shortly before then.  It seem I still have to get it MOTed before I can re-tax and start driving it again.

It's going to stay SORNed for now.

Stuart,

I did say it only applies to MOT's due on or AFTER 30th March so yours is not extended.

Keith.

PS And here is what to do if your MOT expires or or before 29th March... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-before-30-march-2020

PPS My MH MOT was due on 12th April but I have already had it tested and it passed!

The gov uk site says:

This page tells you what is happening if your car, motorcycle, light van or other light vehicle MOT due date is on or after Monday 30 March 2020.

They don't make it clear what is classed as a light vehicle. If you're motorhome is 4000kg and classed as heavy I assume you still need to obtain an MOT.

This link lists the MOT test Classes

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

and it will be seen that all “Motor caravans” (irrespective of their maximum overall weight) are Class 4 - the same Class as cars, goods vehicles (up to 3,000kg design gross weight), quads, etc. So I’m pretty sure that the 6-month extension will apply to all motorhomes.

If in doubt (and if applicable!) contact the MOT centre that normally carries out the test on your motorhome and ask them.

According to the notes on the Gov.uk site DVLA's online vehicle check will show vehicles benefitting from the extension as either having a current MOT or being exempt (can't remember which), so if you want further reassurance then looking on there after your MOT expires should provide it.

Archived