MS Autoroute wanted

Bulletguy

Have you previously installed it on a previous laptop? The licence is limited to one desktop & one laptop. However, when I changed laptops it worked OK for me, my is a download version, Did have real grief with it at first, downloaded it and wouldn't install on anything tried all the patches then found out you can only install directly from the download - bl**dy ms. Mines running in Win 10.

There are some patches for Win 8 that is supposed to cure installation problems with Autoroute have you applied them?

lennyhb - 2018-02-24 9:26 AM

Have you previously installed it on a previous laptop? The licence is limited to one desktop & one laptop. However, when I changed laptops it worked OK for me, my is a download version, Did have real grief with it at first, downloaded it and wouldn't install on anything tried all the patches then found out you can only install directly from the download - bl**dy ms. Mines running in Win 10.

There are some patches for Win 8 that is supposed to cure installation problems with Autoroute have you applied them?

The disc i have Lenny is a copy which ran perfect on an old laptop (with XP), so was pleasantly surprised when it successfully installed on my Win 8 desktop. I bought another smaller laptop (also on 8), installed it on that and it worked.....then stopped a few weeks into a trip which was damn annoying and i've not been able to get it to load since. So that's where i'm at now.

I've tried a few download versions to the laptop but had no success and knowing the originals are no longer available, wondered if anyone might have a copy they don't use.

Interesting you got yours working on 10 as my desktop came with the option of a free upgrade to 10 but i held back on installing it as past experiences have resulted in losing programmes and i didn't want that after all my software was working perfectly. That one issue i have windows.....upgrades! Hate 'em for that! It's just a sales drive for MS.

For Lenny, I have Autoroute 2013 (the last edition published) on laptop and desktop, both Win 10. Laptop was updated from Win 7 to 10, and AR ran/runs flawlessly under both. Previous desktop was Vista, and AR was installed on that and ran without problem. Present desktop is Win 10, and AR installed and runs without problems. I have numerous AR files that I have transferred from one computer to another, across Vista, 7, and 10, and all open and function satisfactorily.

For BG, I now only have my 2013 installation disk (no earlier ones), and I'm afraid I'm keeping it! :-) I'm still using MS Money '97, now under Win 10, and that needed no "legacy" tweaks to run as well as ever. Its only fault is that the help files don't function and there is no update for these under 10, but as I now know my way around it, it doesn't matter!

Have you tried looking for a copy on the web? Amazon had some sellers of Autoroute a while back, though I think all the 2013 editions had then sold. Unless you intending using it for navigation, older versions should be fine for general route planning. Some newer roads will be missing, but few roads get dug up completely, so a route generated by an older version of AR should still give adequate guidance from A to B, albeit your sat nav will know a better way - but then, they always do, don't they! :-D

Gave up with AR a few years ago, I find Google maps easier to use except you can't easily set up multi waypoints, but their mapping is better. Only use that now. Got an original boxed unopened copy of AR somewhere along with the GPS. I'll have a dig and see if I can find it

A fair few people have come across these problems. There is a long thread which I tried to help on FACTS here. http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/86-computer-help/196690-autoroute-2013-licensing-initialisation-error-0xc004d301.html

Have a read through. Some of the suggestions like running the installer as Administrator may work for you but nothing worked for the OP but it was Windows 10 I think.

I have 2010 and 2013 but I Cant even remember where I got them. I dont have a disk anywhere I am sure. Both run ok on Windows 8.1.

I Dont think a different installer disk will help.

You may resolve it or you may not. Its a head scratcher I am afraid.

Brian Kirby - 2018-02-24 5:57 PM

For BG, I now only have my 2013 installation disk (no earlier ones), and I'm afraid I'm keeping it! :-) I'm still using MS Money '97, now under Win 10, and that needed no "legacy" tweaks to run as well as ever. Its only fault is that the help files don't function and there is no update for these under 10, but as I now know my way around it, it doesn't matter!

Have you tried looking for a copy on the web? Amazon had some sellers of Autoroute a while back, though I think all the 2013 editions had then sold. Unless you intending using it for navigation, older versions should be fine for general route planning. Some newer roads will be missing, but few roads get dug up completely, so a route generated by an older version of AR should still give adequate guidance from A to B, albeit your sat nav will know a better way - but then, they always do, don't they! :-D

Yes looked for an original but all show as "out of stock unavailable". I use it for A > B route planning as it's good mapping, quick to load and easy to navigate around. The year date doesn't really matter (the one i have on my desktop is 2007!!) as i'm only using it point to point and i don't know any towns or cities which have totally disappeared....not in Europe anyway!

ColinM50 - 2018-02-24 6:05 PM

Gave up with AR a few years ago, I find Google maps easier to use except you can't easily set up multi waypoints, but their mapping is better. Only use that now. Got an original boxed unopened copy of AR somewhere along with the GPS. I'll have a dig and see if I can find it

Well i will definitely buy it from you Colin if you can lay your hands on it....pm me if you find it.

Google maps is ok except you can't access it offline and that's an absolute essential for me.

We still love AR the versatility of it and the amount of different parameters you can set, Google maps will never get anywhere near it and you can load all your POI's into it. We use it with a Bluetooth GPS receiver alongside the satnav makes it easy to avoid those roads you just don't want to go down in a Motorhome, also if you do go wrong you can see your way out without the satnav taking you round in circles.

Note for Brian:

Found AR 13 constantly crashed in Vista and we are still using MS Money 2001, runs perfectly in Win10 all our accounts for the last 25 years are on it. :-D

Worth at try if you have older software such as Aroute, Quickem, Memory map that ran ok on XP but not on Win10.

Uninstall older / original versions

A clean out of the registry using CCleaner , this removes old registry links that have become corrupted. Some might not have administrator rights.

Reinstal AS ADMINISTRATOR

Find the ?.exe file that runs the application, change the security to allow all users to run as administrator and set compatibility to XP or Win7.

Seems to have worked for my older applications on Win10.

I have no idea why, as a user with admin rights, you have to install as administrator , then run as an administrator. Seems a rather convoluted way of running apps, but works fairly well.

Failing that, setting up a new user with admin rights, sometimes solves things, no idea why !

Generally Msoft being a Pain in the proverbial.

Rgds

Ps I might have a copy of Msoft streets somewhere, I will take a look.

Sorry BG, seems it's been thrown out. SWMBO saw me digging through the 'pooter cupboard and asked what I was looking for. Explained all to her, well enough, you never let 'em know everything do you? and she said, "oh that old junk, threw it out a couple of years ago". So sorry about that it's gone.

lennyhb - 2018-02-25 9:27 AM

We still love AR the versatility of it and the amount of different parameters you can set, Google maps will never get anywhere near it and you can load all your POI's into it. We use it with a Bluetooth GPS receiver alongside the satnav makes it easy to avoid those roads you just don't want to go down in a Motorhome, also if you do go wrong you can see your way out without the satnav taking you round in circles.

Agree Lenny and i've never understood why it was dropped. Maybe sales fell off with the apps people get on smartphones now but 1) i'm not a smartphone user and 2) would totally detest squinting at portions of mapping on a little 5" phone.

Being a map fanatic i carry many physical mapping to countries with me in my van as i love opening them out on a table and reading them.....something which seems almost anathema to today's youth! I still have all OS maps for UK as well. To me Cartography is a work of art i can admire.

tonyishuk - 2018-02-25 4:53 PM

Worth at try if you have older software such as Aroute, Quickem, Memory map that ran ok on XP but not on Win10.

Uninstall older / original versions

A clean out of the registry using CCleaner , this removes old registry links that have become corrupted. Some might not have administrator rights.

Reinstal AS ADMINISTRATOR

Find the ?.exe file that runs the application, change the security to allow all users to run as administrator and set compatibility to XP or Win7.

Will take a look at that Tony and see what it does.

ColinM50 - 2018-02-25 5:13 PM

Sorry BG, seems it's been thrown out. SWMBO saw me digging through the 'pooter cupboard and asked what I was looking for. Explained all to her, well enough, you never let 'em know everything do you? and she said, "oh that old junk, threw it out a couple of years ago". So sorry about that it's gone.

Criminal!! 8-) (lol)

Wow your wife would have divorced me ages ago then as that's something i can't do. I gather "stuff"! Thanks for looking anyway.

Has anyone tried Copilot on a PC ?

Having a web wander around , it seems that you can load pois by using CSV format files,

Could not find any info if you could use a sat finder with it. My old Autoroute would use my Garmin handheld as a locator.

Rgds

Edit, seems to be free download for trial on the Copilot site.

Archived