Maesgwastad Cemetery lock broken in Welshpool parking row

ham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-38676770

A lock on gates at a Powys cemetery to stop motor homes blocking the entrance has been forcibly removed with people continuing to park there.

Powys council started to lock the gates at Welshpool's Maesgwastad Cemetery because of unauthorised parking.

Hearses had not been able to exit and enter for funerals.

The council said the gates were locked with three vehicles inside earlier this month, but by the next morning the lock was removed and the vehicles gone.

The incident was reported to Dyfed-Powys Police, and details of vehicles locked in the cemetery will be passed to the officers if the gates are forced open again.

John Powell, cabinet member for cemeteries, said: "It is extremely disappointing that the security lock has been forcibly removed and will have to be replaced.

"We have had incidents where motor home-type vehicles have parked within the cemetery for several days without moving.

"Hearses have struggled to enter and exit the cemetery on days when a funeral is taking place because cars have parked along the edge and on the turning circle while mourners are having to park a considerable distance away due to nearby residents parking at the cemetery."

Not at all nice to cause a nuisance at a cemetary by "wild camping" there and maybe some will think they deserved to get locked in.

But it is sensible for a council employee (we must presume) to lock the gate without giving adequate notice when it would have been easy to do that?  They could have put notes on the windscreens announcing the intent even if there was no-one in when they knocked.

Two wrongs don't make a right.  Maybe they deserved to have their lock broken.

Parking in a Cemetery for several days is simply not on, If I had been the council worker i would have immobilized the motorhomes until they returned. Then fined them.

Even in the outer Hebrides parking obstructing a Cemetery is not on. What were the pillocks thinking about !

This January 2016 article may well explain why it has proved necessary to lock the gates of Maesgwastad Cemetery overnight.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2016/01/20/families-dismay-as-sheep-get-into-welshpool-graveyard/

GOOGLE maps reveal that the cemetery’s right-hand entrance-gate used to be in disrepair (as shown in BBC News photo) but was fixed later. There is also an image of a large (quite posh) Sprinter-based panel-van conversion parked facing downwards at the top of the slope where the Ford-based van is in the BBC News photo.

As in all walks of life there are some among us that just do not know when to stop. They seem to think if their van will fit it's OK to camp or park and have no consideration for anyone but their selfs. It's no good trying to explain anything to them as they are to stupid to understand. Rant over 8o|

Hi, could it just be that the motorhomers were àctually paying their respects to a ffamily person in the cemetry., gone to get some flowers etc.

Certainly stupid to obstruct cemetry access,.

I expect that we will be heading north later in the year, and will almost certainly visit my wifes family graves in the process . There is very little parking space, and very narrow road access, , certainly not suitable for overnighting, from what I recall, the parking area is simply a widened part of the road , and is not gated, so wont get locked in. If there should happen to be another funeral at the time of our visit, we would be obliged to move.

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2017-01-20 9:15 AM

Hi, could it just be that the motorhomers were àctually paying their respects to a ffamily person in the cemetry., gone to get some flowers etc.

To quote from the BBC News article

“..John Powell, cabinet member for cemeteries, said: "It is extremely disappointing that the security lock has been forcibly removed and will have to be replaced. We have had incidents where motor home-type vehicles have parked within the cemetery for several days without moving...”

Rayjsj - 2017-01-19 6:34 PM

Parking in a Cemetery for several days is simply not on, If I had been the council worker i would have immobilized the motorhomes until they returned. Then fined them.

Even in the outer Hebrides parking obstructing a Cemetery is not on. What were the pillocks thinking about !

Parking in a cemetery AT ALL is not on. Wild Camping? This would be laughable if it were not so insensitive and downright selfish.

David

Let me first say I don't condone any inconsiderate parking, esp in cases such as this where families have enough to deal with.

The article quite clearly states that locals park their vehicles in the same place, and the photo seems to show a van and car, the person who locked the gate will know what vehicles where parked there and yet no statement is made as to what vehicles where parked there on that night.

As an aside, when we see a sign with words such as "These gates will be locked at 8pm" we always joke that it would be secure parking for the van.

colin - 2017-01-20 10:27 AM

Let me first say I don't condone any inconsiderate parking, esp in cases such as this where families have enough to deal with.

The article quite clearly states that locals park their vehicles in the same place, and the photo seems to show a van and car, the person who locked the gate will know what vehicles where parked there and yet no statement is made as to what vehicles where parked there on that night.

As an aside, when we see a sign with words such as "These gates will be locked at 8pm" we always joke that it would be secure parking for the van.

I agree completely.

I would also add that locking the gates overnight would not be a problem to anyone in a motorhome/camper. A local would be desperate to gain access to his vehicle so that he/she could get to work in the morning. A local is also more liable to have the tools to get past a good padlock.

The BBC News article contains the following statements

1: Powys council started to lock the gates at Welshpool's Maesgwastad Cemetery because of unauthorised parking.

2: We have had incidents where motor home-type vehicles have parked within the cemetery for several days without moving.

3: A lock on gates at a Powys cemetery to stop motor homes blocking the entrance has been forcibly removed with people continuing to park there.

4: The council said the gates were locked with three vehicles inside earlier this month, but by the next morning the lock was removed and the vehicles gone.

There is nothing in the article that specifically says that the three vehicles that were locked into the cemetery prior to the lock being broken were motorhomes, though the article could certainly be read that way (and may well have been deliberately written to suggest that was the case).

Nevertheless, there’s no doubt whatsoever that motorhomes have parked on the cemetery’s entrance-road inside the gate for (as I said above) a Sprinter-based PVC appears there on GOOGLE Steet View.

Archived