Maybe its not a myth?...............

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been shown conclusively that the cost of enough sedative gas to knock out occupants is astronomical, it's just another Daily Mail pathetic scare story, remember the role of newspapers is to sell newspapers, and if someone leaves their van open, drinks too much vino and gets robbed, a good insurance scam is to claim gassing.

First heard this 10yrs ago,didnt believe it then,but did meet a guy who claimed he was shot at on a empty stretch of road by a couple of guys who had tried to flag him down by pointing at the back of his vehicle as if there was a problem.He was in a converted mercedes truck and ignored them he claimed as the overtook they fired three shots from a handgun at the front of his truck then sped off.He showed us the holes,one was in the top of the windscreen,other two had creased the wing but not penetrated,dont know if its true but he was pretty shook up,this was in Spain travelling down to Malaga

Brians articule is 8 years old. Maybe they deleloped a new gas, since then??

i must say that I have to agree, it would take a lot of gas to fill a van, Though you do hear of people getting killed by carbonmonoxide poison from faulty boilers.!!

proof that France should keep tighter controls of the illegals getting in, and not just help them to come to UK!!!

PJay - 2014-07-11 8:57 AM

....proof that France should keep tighter controls of the illegals getting in, and not just help them to come to UK!!!

Hmm... "Proof"..eh?.

So "illegals" who have supposedly jumped(umpteen?) borders and are without a pop to p*ss in, are obtaining newly "developed" anaesthetic gases, just so that they can rob the occasional motor-homer..? Really..?

Although I'm surprised it's taken 8 posts to be honest.....

Don't fret, Dave will be a long with a "vote Ukip" in a minute....

Brians articule is 8 years old. Maybe they deleloped a new gas, since then??

UK!!!

I also note that the Royal College only give a " categorical assurance " that it could not be ether.

They say that the use of other gases are " unlikely " - they don't say impossible.

Having first heard of such attacks some 25 years ago ( or more ), on a campsite in south west France,

I have an open mind on the subject - but it has not stopped me from touring.

;-)

Muswell - 2014-07-11 10:36 AM

proof that France should keep tighter controls of the illegals getting in, and not just help them to come to UK!!!

And how would you control 2750 km of land borders?

... especially when we can't with a channel in between.

;-)

Guest Had Enough

I've just had a minor operation under general anaesthetic. Prior to the anaesthetist coming to my room nurses took my blood pressure and checked my heart. The anaesthetist then paid me a visit and asked other questions about my general health.

All this is because keeping someone in that limbo between life and death requires five years of medical training and, during the operation, the anaesthetist uses all his skills and his expensive monitoring equipment to ensure that you are not given too much or too little of whatever gas and drugs are keeping you free from pain without stopping your heart.

But despite all the obvious evidence to the contrary, we still have people who think that the kind of petty thief who is at the lowest end of the criminal food chain is capable of procuring sophisticated anaesthetic gasses and introducing just enough into a motorhome to send an adult to sleep but not kill a child.

We still have people who can't work out why no one has ever found an abandoned gas cylinder after these robberies, and to fill a motorhome with enough gas would take very large cylinders.

We still have people who can't work out why criminals with such sophisticated and expensive anaesthetic materials, and with the skills to administer just enough of them, are targeting caravans and motorhomes. Possibly it's because of the vast wealth in them in jewels, money and other valuables? Mmmmm, have to think about that one!

For God's sake folks, stop and think for five minutes!

Guest pelmetman

I found this bit the most interesting ;-)...............

"A police spokesman said: ‘They release a knockout gas through van air vents or windows – and can then rob the vehicle without anyone knowing. It’s been blighting this area for years.’

There have been previous reports of British motorhomers being targeted in this way and the Foreign Office has issued warnings."

Would the DM have invented the police spokesman?............and I'd imagine the Foreign Office would have such a warning on their website? :-|..................

pelmetman - 2014-07-11 10:51 AM

I found this bit the most interesting ;-)...............

"A police spokesman said: ‘They release a knockout gas through van air vents or windows – and can then rob the vehicle without anyone knowing. It’s been blighting this area for years.’

There have been previous reports of British motorhomers being targeted in this way and the Foreign Office has issued warnings."

Would the DM have invented the police spokesman?............and I'd imagine the Foreign Office would have such a warning on their website? :-|..................

Sorry Dave but this really is a case of engage brain before typing finger. Anaesthesia is dangerous. One is, as HE says, suspended somewhere between consciousness and death. Too little and it doesn't work, too much, and sayonara.

Motorhomes and caravans are not air tight: they all have gas drops and permanent ventilation, and people are of differing sizes and weights so need different doses, so the amount of gas necessary to anaesthetise in a van is incalculable, meaning at least as many attacks as succeed would result in deaths, or early detection.

How many reports has anyone read of mystery corpses being found in caravans/motorhomes, or of people being disturbed by odd noises and waking to smell funny gases? It seems always to be the case that the afflicted miraculously wake up to tell the tale, and complain of feeling woozy afterwards. I find that very strange indeed. That is why I asked the question of the RCoA.

If folk are nervous about being attacked while sleeping in their vans, and want to install alarms for peace of mind, that's fine by me. However, stoking paranoia where the evidence points elsewhere seems unhelpful in the extreme. I seem to remember the Mail has a track record in this area, and the story seems to get re-cycled about this time most years.

Better than any number of alarms, IMO, would be to choose where one stops overnight with much greater care. Then that paranoid fear of things going bump in the night can subside back where it belongs.

As to police spokesmen quoted (anonymously) by newspapers, really? Totally reliable? Selectively quoted to support the annual DM scare story? Experienced in dealing with these incidents at first hand, so speaking from personal knowledge, or just distilling the essence of stories heard before? This is the land of the urban myth, and how they are promulgated. I don't doubt that the people were robbed, I just doubt the circumstances, which I think are just face-saving excuses for stupidity - dredged up to support tenuous insurance claims.

Knockout Gases are also, usually, highly inflammable, a quick squirt into the Fridge Vents of a fridge running on gas, and Kaboom ! End of 'East European' Snatch-it-quick jewel thieves. (jewels !!! in a Campervan.....i'm amazed), Why folk still sleep in service stations after a long drive,I don't know ??

AND fit a small safe, put all of your 'Jewels' passports etc., into that. Then they will have to carry oxy-acetolene gas as well as a large cylinder of anaesthetic gas , NO, on balance it's still a Myth, sorry. Ray

The Mail must be running out of 'All disabled people are faking it, stop their benefits' stories.

PJay - 2014-07-11 9:48 AM

OK this one only 7 years old

Thank you for your recent email which I have forwarded to the College’s Professional Standards Adviser. However, the College’s position remains unchanged.

Kind regards,

Mrs Mandie Kelly

Website & Publications Officer

The Royal College of Anaesthetists 35 Red Lion Square London WC1R 4SG

Guest JudgeMental

OMGG!!!...sell the van!! sell tunnel tickets...OMG....OMG!!!! we are all going to DIE IN OUR BEDS!

( Na worry pelmet, your safe as obviously not a pot to piss in)

Gas attack vis fridge vents..? I was alway told the fridge vents are there to intake fresh air and outlet burner exhaust to the outside. The fridge mounting is supposed to be sealed at the rear to prevent exhaust gasses leaking into the habitation area. There is also supposed to be gas drop ventilation behind the fridge to prevent any gas build up in the unlikely event of a gas leak.

To suggest therefore that sleeping gas of whatever type could be injected via these vents would require the vents to be sealed, or the gas would simply drop out at the bottom, and unless there is a serious fridge fixing problem, no externally applied gas should get into the habitation area via this route.

The floor vents elsewhere in the van would also enable injected gas via alternetive entry points to drop out before affecting the occupants. Just supposing that the attackers arrived with enough stick tape to seal all underfloor exit points, and could inject enough gas, then rummage through the van to find what they were looking for, would they themselves be affected by the van full of gas?

Even if this were to happen, would they then remove evidence of sealing up before hastily departing with their spoils..a highly unlikely scenario.

In alleged gas attack scenarios, surely forensic science could detect trace evidence, and do insurers insist on that kind of evidence before paying out on claims..if not then why not?

Gas can come in bottle size containers, probaby labelled as x percent proof,, surely a much more likely explanation.

tonyg3nwl

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-07-11 11:15 PM

OMGG!!!...sell the van!! sell tunnel tickets...OMG....OMG!!!! we are all going to DIE IN OUR BEDS!

( Na worry pelmet, your safe as obviously not a pot to piss in)

Another advantage of having an old banger Eddie ;-).....................

Archived