Mirror Guard - abysmal customer service!

Solwaybuggier

From time to time, there are discussions online as to whether Mirror Guards are worth buying. I'm not commenting on their product, but Mirror Guard's customer service is utterly abysmal. Use them at your peril!

Back in the summer, we had a (relatively low speed) clash of mirrors in France, which cracked the guard. When we got home, I phoned the company to order a replacement - this was the first week of August. No sign of the guard arriving, so after 10 days I rang again - black guards out of stock, I was told, they were awaiting material, but may have the odd one to send. 21 August, they took the money from my account, so I assumed they'd found one.

On 1 Sept, still no sign so I emailed them to enquire and said I needed it by end of the month at the latest - I got a prompt response (the only time they have ever responded to a query without me chasing them up!) saying it would be 2 weeks, and offering to refund payment. Stupidly, I said to hang on to the money provided I could get the guard within 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks, I rang and was told the material was in and guards would be sent out by end of the week. Still no sign, so on 29 Sept I rang again - the guy (Paul Sydenham, I assume) said it would be sent out that day. No sign of any apology, and when I asked him, in view of delay, to use next day courier service as we were going away, he was unwilling. At which point (conveniently?) his mobile signal broke up! He made no attempt to ring me back.

My further phone calls then went straight to answering machine, but I left a message saying that as he had been unable to deliver by the end of Sept, as agreed, the order was cancelled. Further, that delivery would be refused if attempted. This message was also sent as an email.

On 2 October, the guard arrived and was rejected. I emailed them, accepted that the guard could in theory have been posted before receiving my cancellation, but pointed out that they should have emailed to advise if this was the case. I asked for a full refund within 7 days. No reply.

On 11 October, I sent a further email, asking for confirmation that the rejected guard had been received back, and again for a refund. Again no reply. As of 16 October, I have still had no refund, nor even any response.

In my experience, this company is a total nightmare to deal with. They don't do what they say, you can only contact them via a mobile or email, and they don't respond to messages. If you want to be ignored and treated with contempt, go ahead and use them.

When we get home, I will be starting with Trading Standards, and if that doesn't work I'll be using the small claims procedure (even though that will cost more than half of the refund.)

There is, fortunately, an alternative - Van Comfort stock mirror protectors which I think are of at least a similar standard, and we found their customer service excellent. (I have no connection with them.)

Quite happy with my experiences of the company, although I think they are rather expensive these days.I bought mine about 3 years ago, when they were cheaper. Mine have saved my drivers side mirror at least 3 times, so I have no complaint about the quality of the product. Not had to contact the company since purchase.

My experience of dealing with the “Mirror Guard” company has been 100% positive.

I ordered a set of “Mirror Guard” protectors on-line earlier this year and was contacted shortly after by phone to say that high demand meant there would be a short delivery delay. I was told that I should expect to receive the protectors in about a week and that’s what happened. And, while rolandrat complains about the quality of his “Mirror Guards”, mine are excellent regarding construction, finish and fit.

This earlier thread may be of interest

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Mirror-protectors-I-ll-be-sticking-with-the-originals-I-think-/37984/

It might be worth checking with Van Comfort where their mirror protectors come from.

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/MirrorProtectorGuards.htm

My understanding is that “Mirror Guard” only market their protectors direct and not through third parties. If the Van Comfort protectors are the same products as those marketed as “Mirror Armour” by RoadPro

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/exterior-parts-and-accessories/mirrors-and-lenses/mirror-protection/mirror-armour-for-fiat-ducato-pair-2470.htm

my understanding is that these are copies based on an earlier version of the “Mirror Guard” protector, but have never had any connection to the “Mirror Guard” company. As I’ve said in earlier threads, the quality and finish of the “Mirror Armour” protectors I’ve seen was significantly inferior to “Mirror Guards”.

Derek, I did talk to Van Comfort about their supplier. My understanding is that they source their protectors from a manufacturer who had at one time supplied to Mirror Guard, even though from what the latter said they now make their own. Certainly the Van Comfort protectors have foam pads, where I believe the new-style Mirror Guards have a foam shell inside. Having compared them, the quality, thickness and weight of the Van Comfort product seems at least as good as MG.

I was disappointed that my Mirror Guard casing fractured, and lower mirror broke, in a collision with another MH where we were doing 35 mph, he may have been going slightly faster, although I accept there is a degree of unpredictability in these matters.

My post wasn't designed to revisit earlier threads about respective quality, though, but rather to highlight their appalling approach to customer service.

Their service is awful, I'm still waiting for a vat invoice, a year after I took delivery, he told me he was too busy to provide a vat invoice, which he legally has to if he's vat registered and you request one, hope he's not chargeing vat when he's not registered

Not wishing to appear confrontational as I am genuinely perplexed as to why anyone would bother to buy these mirror protector things, as last time I checked they cost in the region of an exorbitant (IMO) £120 (actually just confirmed that as still around the cost) see

http://www.outdoorbits.com/motorhome-mirror-guards-c-156_245_486.html

when a brand new plastic mirror back is around £4.99 to £9.95 with free postage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281406343067?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=kwd-75951445386&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

and a new complete mirror can be bought for £69.95.

Now to me, in the very unlikely event that I had to renew a broken case, (never had to in over 45 years of driving) I could buy some 20 new cases or 2 complete new mirrors for the same money, so that is why I am so perplexed!!

Bas

Solwaybuggier - 2015-10-17 8:11 AM

Derek, I did talk to Van Comfort about their supplier. My understanding is that they source their protectors from a manufacturer who had at one time supplied to Mirror Guard, even though from what the latter said they now make their own. Certainly the Van Comfort protectors have foam pads, where I believe the new-style Mirror Guards have a foam shell inside. Having compared them, the quality, thickness and weight of the Van Comfort product seems at least as good as MG....

There’s a history to this that I don’t intend to revisit, but I’m pretty sure that what Van Comfort told you is incorrect. If you want the full story I suggest you speak to Mirror Guard about it.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-10-18 8:06

There’s a history to this that I don’t intend to revisit, but I’m pretty sure that what Van Comfort told you is incorrect. If you want the full story I suggest you speak to Mirror Guard about it.

Since he won't reply to emails or answer the phone to me about refunding what he owes me, I fail to see why he would regale me with his views on this! And frankly after the misleading statements I've had so far, nor do I see why I would believe a word...

The main point of the post, in any case, was their approach to service, not the product as such.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update - I went to the CAB Consumer Advice line, who were extremely helpful (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/ ) and they also advised trying to get a refund on my debit card via chargeback from the bank (Lloyds.) That worked - so I've got the money back. It's worth remembering that there may be some comeback if you pay by debit card - not just credit card.

Just a slight feeling of regret that I can't now take Mirror Guard to court for the debt, and I can't imagine the bank will pursue that sort of amount with any great determination!

Archived