Miserable attitude

Barcobird

Having taken delivery of our new Motorhome we wanted to go off for a couple of weeks to make sure everything was working and in order.

We headed off for the Lake District and as the van is designed with self sufficiency in mind we wanted to wild camp.

That's the first laugh, everywhere you go you are either presented with height barriers or extornate parking prices. Overnight parking oh dear, why dont you go to one of our lovely campsites, they have lots of other Motorhomes and its only £25 a night.

We want peace and quiet!

So we headed off to Scotland and what a difference, the people were so warm and friendly towards us. They made places accessible for Motorhomes and realise when there, you are going to spend money, make sense to me.

I was just wondering what other Motorhomers opinions and attitudes to this subject was, I guess it is more a question for the wild campers than the lovers of campsites.

I found the same last year and in 2014. Very anti mh, perhaps because of the National Park Authority. I couldn't believe it when I found a muddy clearing in the woods being used as a car park which had parking meters!

Scotland is much better but there are signs that the anti mh brigade are taking over. The restrictions around Loch Lomond are worrying and a sign of things to come.

mikejkay - 2017-03-22 1:05 PM

Scotland is much better but there are signs that the anti mh brigade are taking over. The restrictions around Loch Lomond are worrying and a sign of things to come.

I'm not convinced that the restrictions in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are either evidence of an anti motorhome brigade or a worrying sign of things to come. The camping management zones cover only 4% of the park and are all on the shores of lochs (not just Loch lomond itself) where there has been a growing problem with camping and firelighting, with Weegie fishermens' encampments set up all summer long.

I don't often pass by L.Lomond but regularly drive along L.Earn, which is now a CMZ, and the camping has been a growing problem over the past decade and had reached breaking point. Caravans moved onto the grass verge in Spring and left there 'till Autumn, cars and vans parked halfway into every tiny pull-in and sticking out dangerously into the road, rubbish everywhere, trees being chopped down for the 24/7 bonfires etc. etc. Basically the once-deserted and beautiful loch shores had become a ghetto.

As a motorhome-owning resident of Scotland I'm really pleased that these restrictions are now in place in these specific areas.

Steve928 - 2017-03-22 1:49 PM

I'm not convinced that the restrictions in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are either evidence of an anti motorhome breeigade or a worrying sign of things to come. The camping management zones cover only 4% of the park and are all on the shores of lochs (not just Loch lomond itself) where there has been a growing problem with camping and firelighting, with Weegie fishermens' encampments set up all summer long.

I don't often pass by L.Lomond but regularly drive along L.Earn, which is now a CMZ, and the camping has been a growing problem over the past decade and had reached breaking point. Caravans moved onto the grass verge in Spring and left there 'till Autumn, cars and vans parked halfway into every tiny pull-in and sticking out dangerously into the road, rubbish everywhere, trees being chopped down for the 24/7 bonfires etc. etc. Basically the once-deserted and beautiful loch shores had become a ghetto.

As a motorhome-owning resident of Scotland I'm really pleased that these restrictions are now in place in these specific areas.

The thing with Motorhomes (and caravans) is that they generally contain everything with which to live (maybe not the smaller van conversions) cooking, toilet shower etc so we don't need to chop trees down or do toilet in the woods. The man with a tent on his back has next to nothing and in my opinion is more likely to leave a trail. Having said that there are a minority of Motorhomers that take advantage, totally selfish and don't care what they leave as they are probably not going back ! Why do people throw rubbish out of car windows, if I put my rubbish on there driveway I am sure they would be far from pleased.

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 2:13 PM

I'm not convinced that the restrictions in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are either evidence of an anti motorhome breeigade or a worrying sign of things to come. The camping management zones cover only 4% of the park and are all on the shores of lochs (not just Loch lomond itself) where there has been a growing problem with camping and firelighting, with Weegie fishermens' encampments set up all summer long.

The thing with Motorhomes (and caravans) is that they generally contain everything with which to live (maybe not the smaller van conversions) cooking, toilet shower etc so we don't need to chop trees down or do toilet in the woods. The man with a tent on his back has next to nothing and in my opinion is more likely to leave a trail. Having said that there are a minority of Motorhomers that take advantage, totally selfish and don't care what they leave as they are probably not going back ! Why do people throw rubbish out of car windows, if I put my rubbish on there driveway I am sure they would be far from pleased.

your point on smaller motorhomes and indeed caravans I find a little miss leading. For a start all caravans are designed for camp sites. That's why motorhomes and campers (small motorhomes) have water tanks built in and are able to carry some water while on the move. (I'm not going to go in to weight issues on some 'vans here) caravans are not deigned to do this. Campervans do have a great many features that the larger vans have usually it's a shower on very small conversions that is missing like the old VW split screen, bays & T25. But most small campers are very well equipped with showers, toilets cookers sinks microwave ovens TVs and so on. Take a look at the early '90s Autosleeper campers like the RamblerGL and Symbol they were better equipped than many larger 'Vans The big advantage of the small camper is it can fit in a standard car parking bay and so is less of a problem to park and the pop top vans have the advantage when it comes to the dreaded height barrier. So I think the smaller 'vans have less of affect on the environment than the larger 'vans.... All things being equal. That should be " all owners being equal"

keninpalamos - 2017-03-22 4:26 PM

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 2:13 PM

your point on smaller motorhomes and indeed caravans I find a little miss leading. For a start all caravans are designed for camp sites. That's why motorhomes and campers (small motorhomes) have water tanks built in and are able to carry some water while on the move. (I'm not going to go in to weight issues on some 'vans here) caravans are not deigned to do this. Campervans do have a great many features that the larger vans have usually it's a shower on very small conversions that is missing like the old VW split screen, bays & T25. But most small campers are very well equipped with showers, toilets cookers sinks microwave ovens TVs and so on. Take a look at the early '90s Autosleeper campers like the RamblerGL and Symbol they were better equipped than many larger 'Vans The big advantage of the small camper is it can fit in a standard car parking bay and so is less of a problem to park and the pop top vans have the advantage when it comes to the dreaded height barrier. So I think the smaller 'vans have less of affect on the environment than the larger 'vans.... All things being equal. That should be " all owners being equal"

My apologies, I know nothing about caravans and therefore my comments were based purely on assumption. Therefore caravans should head off to the nearest campsite as well!

Scotland

I doubt its the size of a van that's the problem, its how many weekend campers you can crowd into it who then overflow into the undergrowth.

Its true that vans contain toilets but a party of revellers will soon overcome its limited capacity.

The restrictions are necessary for so many who think only of themselves. Yes we have visited Scotland but were not thrilled by it and don't aim to go again. There are many colourful views at a fraction of the distance and cost in other parts of the UK.

I think the distinction between caravans and mh's/campers is spurious, onboard water is just a matter of plumbing, and my next bespoke camper will have caravan clean and grey water systems.

The difference is in the number of vehicles in my opinion, so tow a Smart car and you're a tugger as far as I'm concerned.

Wild camping involves a short handled spade, not a 3.5 Ton vehicle, call it free- camping, that's what it is.

Crucial to whatever definition you choose is "the Camper" male or female, and attitude is all. Miserable? Some are , some aren't

Regards

Alanb

The local seaside councils moan about the lack of tourist "footfall" and income yet the vast majority actively discourage motorhome tourism. That's one of the reasons so many on here go abroad, ( and the weather). I no longer stay anywhere in the UK for holidays, I go to places abroad that positively welcome motorhomes and the money they bring. Nothing annoys me more than a vast car park by the seaside that is empty, has height barriers and extortionate fees with likewise extortionate fines for minor infringements.

I will stick with holidays abroad, try it, it is warmer and so much easier!

H

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 1:01 PM

That's the first laugh, everywhere you go you are either presented with height barriers or extornate parking prices. Overnight parking oh dear, why dont you go to one of our lovely campsites, they have lots of other Motorhomes and its only £25 a night.

We want peace and quiet!

So we headed off to Scotland and what a difference, the people were so warm and friendly towards us. They made places accessible for Motorhomes and realise when there, you are going to spend money, make sense to me.

I was just wondering what other Motorhomers opinions and attitudes to this subject was, I guess it is more a question for the wild campers than the lovers of campsites.

It was probably that posh new Pilote MH of yours that put their noses out of joint :-)

That said, Mrs Bop and I have an ongoing business interest in the Highlands and as such we keep an eye on the activity of several different Vicinity Councils.

I do speak with the local councillors a few times a year and I have to admit that they do struggle in getting a correct balance between the feelings/attitudes of the locals to tourists and their need to keep people visiting to help support the local economies.

I have read a good number of Vicinity Council Minutes in the last 12-months and most are now considering the implementation of height barriers or parking restrictions within their small towns and villages. I'm not saying that things will change overnight but some of the locals in some of the Scottish villages are fed up of having HGVs, trucks, caravans and MHs parked in 'their space'.

All the best,

Andrew

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 1:01 PM....................So we headed off to Scotland and what a difference, the people were so warm and friendly towards us. They made places accessible for Motorhomes and realise when there, you are going to spend money, make sense to me.

England has an average population density of 406 people per sq km, whereas Scotland has just 67. That pressure on land means that land prices are much higher in England, and also that demand on the available space is higher.

So, rationing in England is by price: you can find spaces, but you have to pay. This applies equally to car parking after all. In other countries, with lower population densities, parking is often free, even in towns.

Welcome to your homeland, it is as it is! I guess the unsympathetic response is pay, or go elsewhere. It isn't going to change anytime soon, and seems likely to get worse as the population increases.

I live less than an hour from the Lakes and know it like the back of my hand and had boats there for years before the motorhome. It is generally a bit of a rip off and not just the car parks but its arguably one of the most if not the most stunning area in the UK so people will pay the prices. There are plenty of places to wild (or free) park / camp though if your prepared to get off the beaten track a bit, especially this time of year. Crummock Water, Buttermere, Wast Water etc away from the hot spots like Windermere springs to mind and plenty of places away from the lakeside.

www.wildcamping.co.uk is a great site if your wanting to find spots all over the UK.

Last time we where in Lake district national park it was full to the brim, they don't need to be more welcoming, hardly the place to go for 'peace and quiet'.

Scotland is as Brian points out much less populated, but there are still certain areas like around Loch Lomond which now have restrictions due to popularity.

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 1:01

We want peace and quiet!

Hi Barcobird; where exactly did you find your peace and quiet?

Regards

Alanb

hallii - 2017-03-22 7:20 PM

The local seaside councils moan about the lack of tourist "footfall" and income yet the vast majority actively discourage motorhome tourism. That's one of the reasons so many on here go abroad, ( and the weather). I no longer stay anywhere in the UK for holidays, I go to places abroad that positively welcome motorhomes and the money they bring. Nothing annoys me more than a vast car park by the seaside that is empty, has height barriers and extortionate fees with likewise extortionate fines for minor infringements.

H

My sentiments entirely :->

Brian Kirby - 2017-03-22 7:24 PM

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 1:01 PM....................So we headed off to Scotland and what a difference, the people were so warm and friendly towards us. They made places accessible for Motorhomes and realise when there, you are going to spend money, make sense to me.

England has an average population density of 406 people per sq km, whereas Scotland has just 67. That pressure on land means that land prices are much higher in England, and also that demand on the available space is higher.

So, rationing in England is by price: you can find spaces, but you have to pay. This applies equally to car parking after all. In other countries, with lower population densities, parking is often free, even in towns.

Welcome to your homeland, it is as it is! I guess the unsympathetic response is pay, or go elsewhere. It isn't going to change anytime soon, and seems likely to get worse as the population increases.

Brian, I don't know what the population density of France but would think it similar to ours. They welcome Motorhomes with open arms and provide services (Aires) to encourage them as well.

Therefore I guess it's Bon Voyage *-)

Barryd999 - 2017-03-22 8:24 PM

I live less than an hour from the Lakes and know it like the back of my hand and had boats there for years before the motorhome. It is generally a bit of a rip off and not just the car parks but its arguably one of the most if not the most stunning area in the UK so people will pay the prices. There are plenty of places to wild (or free) park / camp though if your prepared to get off the beaten track a bit, especially this time of year. Crummock Water, Buttermere, Wast Water etc away from the hot spots like Windermere springs to mind and plenty of places away from the lakeside.

www.wildcamping.co.uk is a great site if your wanting to find spots all over the UK.

We did use the wild camping site Barry amongst others and did manage to find a few secluded spots off the beaten track. One was Wet Sleddale which had a sign showing our position, listed as a car park and the various trails. This place is very remote and down a long track, nearly 2 miles from the road, so we stayed overnight.

Just after 8 the following morning there was a knock on the door and an arrogant woman ranted on to my wife that we were on private property and not allowed to park or overnight, so why have a carpark that quite a few cars used throughout the day? This lady was from United Utilities, the owners of the land, obviously enjoyed her job and did her best to spoil our day!

snowie - 2017-03-22 9:21 PM

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 1:01

We want peace and quiet!

Hi Barcobird; where exactly did you find your peace and quiet?

Regards

Alanb

Just over the border Alan, along the Dumfries and Galloway coast, no need to go to Loch Lomond etc etc

Two very pleasant stopovers was Glencaple and the other New Abby (sweetheart Abbey)

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 10:33 PM

We did use the wild camping site Barry amongst others and did manage to find a few secluded spots off the beaten track. One was Wet Sleddale which had a sign showing our position, listed as a car park and the various trails. This place is very remote and down a long track, nearly 2 miles from the road, so we stayed overnight.

Just after 8 the following morning there was a knock on the door and an arrogant woman ranted on to my wife that we were on private property and not allowed to park or overnight, so why have a carpark that quite a few cars used throughout the day? This lady was from United Utilities, the owners of the land, obviously enjoyed her job and did her best to spoil our day!

Yes there is no wonder so many of us go over the water. I once pulled into the massive car park at Slapton Sands one early January in a snow storm. It was no longer safe to drive and getting dark. Just us, nobody else. Next morning in six inches of snow some local busy body trudged down from the village with the sole purpose of telling us (politely I might add) that there was no overnight camping allowed. *-) I politely told him I was not camped but parked and had a ticket.

Can you imagine that happening in France? I remember once in some remote part of the Ardeche I think looking for somewhere to park up early evening. We happened on a really lovely picturesque little village and looked for a likely spot. One of the locals came running out and told us to go and park in the middle of the boules court in the centre of the village. :D

]

Brian, I don't know what the population density of France but would think it similar to ours. They welcome Motorhomes with open arms and provide services (Aires) to encourage them as well.

Therefore I guess it's Bon Voyage *-)

according to a website I found on google, the Uk density rate is 650, whilst France is 100....from a personal point of view, I would think that France is highly populated in some areas, but you can still drive for miles (km!) over there and see no life whatsoever....even in some of the villages!

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 1:01 PM

Having taken delivery of our new Motorhome we wanted to go off for a couple of weeks to make sure everything was working and in order.

We headed off for the Lake District and as the van is designed with self sufficiency in mind we wanted to wild camp.

We want peace and quiet!

You've got it summed up! Don't bother with anywhere south of the Scottish border because you won't be welcome unless a "clubbie" paying crazy fees to sit staring at rows of other motorhomes......a bit like being on the forecourt of a dealership but some folk seem to relish this weird fetish..

Scotland is dreamland country for motorhoming where England is just a complete nightmare which treats motorhomers like social pariahs. It's the place to quickly become a manic depressive!

The only other place is anywhere Europe where it's not uncommon to pull in for fuel......and find facilities such as fresh water fill, grey waste dump and sometimes chemical disposal points. And of course a decent cafe serving meals, snacks and quality espresso all at sensible prices.

Barryd999 - 2017-03-22 11:04 PM

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 10:33 PM

Yes there is no wonder so many of us go over the water. I once pulled into the massive car park at Slapton Sands one early January in a snow storm. It was no longer safe to drive and getting dark. Just us, nobody else. Next morning in six inches of snow some local busy body trudged down from the village with the sole purpose of telling us (politely I might add) that there was no overnight camping allowed. *-) I politely told him I was not camped but parked and had a ticket.

Can you imagine that happening in France? I remember once in some remote part of the Ardeche I think looking for somewhere to park up early evening. We happened on a really lovely picturesque little village and looked for a likely spot. One of the locals came running out and told us to go and park in the middle of the boules court in the centre of the village. :D

Each time i leave UK i book Dunkerque then drive just a few miles to Bray-Dune and park up on the Aire there for a couple of days to "sort myself". Masses of room to park, all free, shops and restaurants within walking distance and public bog which i use to save my own tank.

One year in a small town in Austria i was looking around for somewhere to park up. Only place i could find was metered but what the heck, i only wanted some stamps. But just as i'm about to stick some cents in the meter a woman came rushing up "nein, nein, nein"......turned out the first hour was free, then paid whatever after that had elapsed. So instead of just buying stamps, i walked around, bought some "touristy tat" then had a meal and espresso. I spent money there!!

Are you listening to that Little England???

Barcobird - 2017-03-22 10:08 PM

hallii - 2017-03-22 7:20 PM

H

My sentiments entirely :->

My sentiments entirely too.

Archived