Monitoring motorhome remotely against damp

brightspice

I'm new to motorhoming (is this even used as a verb?) and have already suffered the consequences of leaks and condensation causing damp :-(

I was wondering if a (portable/not permanently installed) remote readable temperature/humidity/motion sensor product is being used by anyone? When I'm in the motorhome I can see what's going on, but when it's not in use I’d love an easy way to see what conditions inside are like to guard against developing problems (like new leaks appearing!)

I know I could install a wifi-type thermostat, but this is a 'project' and quite expensive. Besides wifi-thermostats also require mains hook-up, which I've already found isn't always available. I want something simple that works by plugging into the mains/a cigarette socket, uses a Pay As You Go SIM, and allows me to monitor conditions through an app of some kind.

Are we the only ones to suffer from this and does anyone have any pointers? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting my husband to pull together a solution when he next has time on his hands!

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of pouring money into a big metal (or plastic!) box!

I don't know about remote damp sensing, but whatever you use will need to be powered so you may also need to consider a method, possibly a solar panel, to keep the battery alive.

There is much info on solar panels and regulators on here and get the right set up and it works well but get it wrong and either it won't work well or batteries will not last very long.

We always monitored damp by mk 1 nose and eye power and leaving lockers open can help air to circulate. If you had a mains power source I would suggest a dehumidifier to keep it dry but most vans seem to survive the winter without any such luxuries, ours always did.

Condensation causing damp and mould can be a problem and it can be difficult separating that from a leak.

Opening doors on a dry windy day lets the air blow through and if you have doubts a cheap damp meter helps to locate damp spots, but bear in mind that due to the nature of the beast damp spots can be a long way from any leak source and tracing them back can be very difficult.

My van is on my drive and is within range of my home Wifi network and I use one of these -

[url=] https://www.filesthrutheair.com/product/EL-WiFi-TH-High-Accuracy-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor [/url]

This continuously measures the temperature and the humidity levels in the van. It has a rechargable battery that lasts about 4-5 months between charges and it sends its data over my wifi to a central database which is free to access for up to 2 devices. You can view the data from anywhere over the internet and you can also set it up to send you an email if the temperature or humidity goes outside of your preset limits or the battery is running low.

I only use it over the winter months to check the temperature doesn't go too low.

It also calculates the dewpoint temperature (from the ambient temperature and humidity) that I use to warn against condensation. Condensation will form on any surface that has a lower temperature than the dewpoint temperature so I just make sure the temperature is a few degrees higher.

Although not particularly cheap (£100 or so for the less accurate one), it work well.

(forgot the space after url=] )

brightspice - 2018-07-20 9:45 AM

I'm new to motorhoming (is this even used as a verb?) and have already suffered the consequences of leaks and condensation causing damp :-( …………………………...

Leaks are a matter of the quality and condition of the vehicle. Condensation may be related to leakage, but is frequently the result of use. Could you be more specific as to what hase leaked and where, and where and when you experienced the condensation? What you are proposing seems a costly and complex way to detect something that should not, in any case, be happening, and that mere detection will do nothing to cure.

Many thanks to you all for your very helpful advice. Our motorhome is 12 years old and I'm guessing it wasn't used that much by the previous owner. The idea of using dehumidifiers makes sense and I will take a look at the link to the data loggers.

Despite my concerns about damp, we are really enjoying our life on the road and just wonder why we didn't start this years ago!!

Many thanks again for all your advice.

Brightspice, the majority of expensive damage caused by water ingress takes place over a long period of time. This means that it can take a long time for that damage to 'be apparent' on the interior. Sometimes many months.

I would guess that only after damage was well under way, would the interior humidity start to show it and it would probably be too late.

Obviously water suddenly bursting through the roof tends to affect humidity instantly and be noticed quickly but also tends to be quite rare.

I would suggest that rather than an expensive remote monitoring system you put the money towards some how using the vehicle more often, if only to get the supermarket shop now and again.

You can't beat using the vehicle regularly to keep it in the best condition. Not just humidity, but Brakes, Tyres, Engine, Clutch, Gearbox, etc. Especially so if the vehicle is past 5 years old.

One ex customer used to go once a month to a local 'beauty spot' when the van wasn't 'in normal use', just for a cup of Tea in the van and a sandwich/picnic.

It doesn't matter where you go as it's primarily for the benefit of the van and charging up the batteries, etc. just a layby on the A1 will do. Actually praps not, but you get the idea.

Having a quick picnic in the van also means you regularly test the Habitation area items, like gas hob, etc

When you drive the van on occasions like this try and have the Heater on max to 'dry out' the van, even if that means you have to wear Summer shorts, etc in Winter. Maybe take the long way round to give the batteries a good charge.

There really isn't anything that deteriorates a Motorhome more than it being idle for longer periods.

Archived