Motor Home door slams on fingers

ALANSUE

During the recent hot windy weather the side access door of my motor home slammed on my fingers. I have replaced the ball and socket type door stay but it really is pathetic, it has very little resistance againt a strongish breeze.

I used a bit of old wire to keep it open.

is there a better system available which perhaps locks into place when the door is open rather than just the push (and hope) fit I have at present?

Thanks

Alan

There is a wide variety of caravan/motorhome door holders, ranging from the plastic ‘friction’ type to the positive sort mentioned by lennyhb and the one shown on the following link that was used a lot historically.

https://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/caravan-safety-security/356-external-quick-release-door-retainer.html

The tendency for the door to slam in the wind can also be addressed by using a strut (example here)

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/nl5973-caravan-gas-strut?gclid=CMOttPiXhM4CFdQ_GwodcVYLTA

which should at least reduce the violence of the ’swing’.

As the origial door won’t have been designed for it, retrofitting a different type of door-holder (or strut system) may prove to be a real challenge.

Guest pelmetman
EJB - 2016-07-21 9:39 AM

As suggested bungee cords cost little and work perfectly.

So long as you're careful how you release them, as my old man manged to leave a nice little dent in his brand new Rapido ;-) .......

I suppose you could always put a couple of polystyrene door wedges on the edge of the door so it can't slam.

You can either make them or obtain some from Amazon ( but those are made to fit internal doors at home so might be a bit loose on a motorhome door )

;-)

Will86 - 2016-07-21 11:39 AM

Cord of a suitable size. Simple, effective, never fails, no cost.

In windy conditions I just use an 8mm dia rope (same principle as Will86).

The rope has a permanent loop in one end. Just loop it through the internal door handle and round the wingmirror and tie with a slip knot. Never fails, simple and costs peanuts. Assuming, of course, the hab door and wingmirror are fairly close to one another.

pelmetman - 2016-07-21 10:51 AM

EJB - 2016-07-21 9:39 AM

As suggested bungee cords cost little and work perfectly.

So long as you're careful how you release them, as my old man manged to leave a nice little dent in his brand new Rapido ;-) .......

I have one with plastic hooks on the end so it won't damage the van.

yoko8pups - 2016-07-21 12:29 PM

There is a German made thing which looks like a teardrop you can get in DIY shops. I'll try and post a picture.

These are for wedging UNDER doors! Would not be of any use on a hab door, which opens otwards!

PJay

Although the bungee cord ploy is cheap and effective, I find it hard to believe that people using this method attach the cord every time the door is opened. Murphy’s Law dictates that anything that can go wrong will eventually go wrong and Sod’s Law that, when the going-wrong happens, the outcome will be dire (eg. the door won’t just slam, it will slam on your fingers).

Alan asked originally whether there was anything that positively locked the entrance door open. I would also suggest that the retention system should operate automatically and be easily released. A bungee cord fails to meet those criteria, but there are lever-release caravan-door retainers that appear to. This is an example

http://tinyurl.com/gn99k8u

I can’t say it’s pretty, but it looks like it might replace a ball-and-socket retainer OK and it ought to hold a door firmly and be straightforward to release.

Thanks to all, very helpful.

..and thanks to the previous post, Derek, that looks just what I am looking for.

I still think itsamazing that apart from buying our house, the second largest purchase we have ever made costing £56,000 still needs a bungee cord to keep the door open.

Thanks to all once again

Alan

ALAN&SUE - 2016-07-22 8:57 AM

I still think itsamazing that apart from buying our house, the second largest purchase we have ever made costing £56,000 still needs a bungee cord to keep the door open.

That's what happens when you buy a cheap Motorhome if you had spent a bit more like £200,000 on a nice Concorde you would have had a nice stainless steel retainer like the one I linked to. :D :D :D

PJay - 2016-07-21 11:20 PM

yoko8pups - 2016-07-21 12:29 PM

There is a German made thing which looks like a teardrop you can get in DIY shops. I'll try and post a picture.

These are for wedging UNDER doors! Would not be of any use on a hab door, which opens otwards!

PJay

They work very well in the side of the door in my house to stop it slamming

Archived