Motorhome battery.

qwark

Took the motorhome out yesterday to give it a run out. It started first time despite the recent cold weather.

However driving along the battery warning light came on periodically, so I drove for 40 minutes but although the warning light did go off it still came on now and again. Could this be signs that battery is on the way out?

I bought it off RAC , premium battery it says, in May 2015

Thankls for any advice

Qwark

Sounds more like an alternator related issue to me, either that or a poor electrical connection. If the light comes on on tick over but goes out when the revs are increased I’d definitely suspect the alternator. If the latter check the alternator drive belt isn’t slipping first then check the electrical connections are tight.

I would suggest it is more likely to be an issue with the habitation batteries either overloading the Alternator or already having done so in the past.

Most Motorhome Alternator issues are related to habitation batteries past their best?

However, it may just be a poor connection on the 'D+ to the Ignition warning light' circuit? Try isolating the Habitation area D+ circuit, to eliminate that load, and see if that fixes the issue.

More info on the Motorhome and the electronics installed might help further diagnose?

Archived