Motorhome sat nav

cmarshy201

Car radio/stereo systems tend to be designed to operate by switching on/off at the vehcle ignition switch, so when choosing for a motorhome it is important to ensure the radio has an on/off switch on its panel and can be powered from the leisure battery.

Satnav units can only be as good and up to date as their underlying mapping data and this info is inevitably out of date with what's happening on the ground by at least a year when a "new" satnav update is released.  The mapping data about bridge heights and weight limitations is doubtless getting better and some satnavs make potentially good use of it but I would suggest that it's far from infallible.

You have to stay alert to what your eyes tell you about the road ahead anyway, so I've yet to be convinced that satnavs into which you set your vehicle dimensions, which are a lot more expensive, are worthwhile.

We use a Philips CED780 single din motorised touch screen unit in our MH.

It was a present and the screen tape failed outside the warranty which meant no display but everthing else worked. I sourced a cheap used CED780 replacement which is still in use but twelve months ago all the inputs have failed, disc, usb stick etc but the screen, bluetooth, Sat Nav, phone, radio and camera inputs still work.

I wouldn't recommend buying a new one, but if you want a gable they are all singing and dancing self contained system. Pity they aren't better made.

They also do a CED781 don't know if this is any better.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/CED780_05/car-audio-video-system

HTH

B-)

cmarshy201 - 2017-02-10 9:58 AM

Hi people, can anybody recommended either a single din stereo system or just a sat nav that actually does work when size/weight restrictions are input for a motorhome,so many out there that don't do what it says on the tin.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Chris

Personally, I would avoid any "built in" sat-nav, and stick to stand-alone models. First you can take a stand alone out of the van when you want, which can be useful, either for updates or to navigate on foot/bike. Second, sat-nav technology is still evolving, so liable to rapid change, whereas stereos are a mature technology that, with the possible exception of digital radio, is unlikely to change much in the foreseeable future. No point having to re-cycle your stereo because the sat van element no longer functions adequately.

Re vehicle sizes, as Stuart has said, none are foolproof. Do bear in mind that none of the units, from whatever source, use mapping that contains actual road width data. All the mapping contains is data on legal restrictions based on vehicle height, width, and weight. There are thousands of miles of narrow road around Europe - some down to little more than the width of a motorhome and not equipped with frequent or generous passing places (I know this! :-)), that carry no actual width restrictions. The only way a truck type sat-nav can avoid such roads is by avoiding minor roads in favour of major roads. This is logical, but there are many miles of perfectly good, quiet, wide, minor (at least secondary) roads that are perfectly usable with a motorhome. Thus, such sat-navs are likely to propose longer, less scenic, routes, as a way around this blind spot in their mapping.

OTOH, Michelin maps do contain an indication of road width, as well as applicable restrictions, so a quick consultation of the map will show the risk of being routed along a narrow road between points A and B. When setting up the route on a sat-nav, all that is required is to check the sat-nav's route against the map, and then input a waypoint or two to pull it down the wider roads.

No-one, IMO, should ever just stick the destination into a sat-nav, and then follow its directions blind. I'm assuming here that anyone using a sat-nav will be undertaking trip a bit more demanding, in navigational terms, than merely cruising motorways - where destinations are clear, and junctions signposted well in advance with good pictorial signing.

Agree with everything that Brian has stated. A free standing plug in cigar lighter, type much better.

We use a Tom Tom in the van. In our car we have a built in Sat nav, and it is more trouble that it is worth, and that's in Uk! Would hate to rely on it abroad!!

You should still have GOOD maps with you, and preferably a good navigator!!

Keep it simple!

PJay

Thanks for all your responses. I currently have a single din unit with igo primo GPS and as PJay said its more trouble than its worth and always freezing with an "out of memory" error just when you need it. As suggested I think I'll go for a stand alone sat nav,easier to update/use in car etc. There's a motorhome show coming up soon in York, probably have a ride up and look for a good deal :-)

Hi folks

I have posted comments in the past about sat nag devices.

Currently, I have a Snooper Ventura Lite, but that is about to be pensioned off, as I have , perhaps foolishly, just ordered a Garmin Camper 6 inch device, due to arrive tomorrow.

I am also experimenting with a download of Copilot onto my Samsung tablet, this is free but basic, but works ok. Unfortunately, tha sound volume of the voice directions,requires an additional audio amplifier, which I have built up from a cheapo maplin kit. That in turn requires a separate battery pack.

I have found out that it is possible to add your own poi information, and have done that for caravan club, and for camping club sites

The tablet also has ACSI, and both clubs apps loaded., and when I get the britstops book, I will put some of those on it as well. ( THAT requires creating a csv data file from the book info.)

Previously, I have ued a mio (free with van ), and a uk mapped tomtom device, but adding pois was more of a problem, and mapping was out ofdate.

My first device was the original Garmin Quest, but its limitation was memory size and age of maps.

Once the garmin device arrive tomorrow , I will investigate it thoroughly, and pass comments in due course.

As of today, my impression is that the tablet is so much more flexible, than a dedicated device, and maps, datafiles etc can easily be added.

Tonyg3nwl

Tony

using the i pad, can you see the road as you go along? IE as on Tom Tom? My driver insists on following the TT map, and does not often look at road signs!! I usually work out a route , and note towns we need to head for, AND I do read the road signs ! Hence we often have to go around roundabouts, more than once!!

PJay

Will be sticking with TT, As we know it

Hi, regarding the question, can I see the tablet , the answer is yes, as I have arranged to mount it centrally over the dasboard mounted radio, which is so old it no good.

There is however the potential worry as to how it might be considered in relation to mobile phone laws ,.

A conventional position for satnav would be either lower righthand corner of windscreen, or adjacent to reversing mirror, either of which could partially obscure drivers view.

By mounting tablet centrally hiding the dash mounted radio, it doesnt block forward vision via windscreen., but it might be argued that it can take eyes or the road as if I were adjusting the radio.

My copilot in left hand seat can see the 10 inch screen and watch the map, whereas normally I just pay attention to the voice directions, but could glance at the screen if necessary.

I hope it never come to a legal argument. !!!!!!!.

Tonyg3nwl.

I bought the Garmin Camper 660 just before we left for France and Spain. It seemed good in UK except it insisted on a different route to get to the campsite in Folkestone. In France it was very good and the ACSI database appears to be very accurate. It steered me impeccably through Bordeau even carefully avoiding an underpass that was too low for our MH. In Spain, however, it thinks my speed limits are 80 and 100 which is contrary to the information I have dated May 2014. The speed limit gong kept going off which is a shame as I do like to know when I have crept up over 'proper' speed limits. Also, instead of picking a route running South East on a road I have used before, it insisted I drove South and then East, adding quite a bit to the journey. OK, that was my fault as there is a feature that allows you to look at your route and make alterations as you see fit. Garmin feel it is my responsibility to report 'faults' to their mapping company (!) but there is no way to change the speed limit information except to switch to car mode, thus defeating the Camper element. It will proably be OK in the end.

michaelc45 - 2017-02-14 8:34 AM...............It will proably be OK in the end.

It will not. Not because there is anything intrincally wrong with the make or model of your sat-nav, but because inaccuracy is inevitable.

There is a considerable lag between changes on the ground, the mapping of those changes, and the distribution of those changes to your machine via map updates. This is especially true of speed limits, which are changing all the time.

My advice would be to turn off the audible speed warnings on your sat-nav, and rely on the Mk 1 eyeball. There are always speed limit signs. Only when you fear you may have missed a limit sign, have a look at the limit appearing on the sat-nav screen, and proceed with caution until the speed of other road users, or a limit sign, confirms the limit in force.

It is noticeable, for example, that in France there is a move to introducing 70kph limits on approach to conurbations, to progressively reduce speeds from the national 90kph, to the urban 50kph. Many of these have yet to be mapped so, if relying on the sat-nav for speed limit information, one might easily breach these 70kph zones on approach to towns/villages.

There is a new camper-specific Garmin about to be released called the Camper 770.  It comes with lifetime maps for UK and Europe, so you can udate itseveral times per year.

It does all sorts but the key features are that it has its own WiFi connectivity, so you can update it without linking to a computer and he mapping includes all ASCI sites.  It also links to a smartphone to provide hands free and you can link a reversing camera to it.  You can download routes from your computer using Garmin's free Base Camp planning software.

It looks like a really useful camper-specific satnav has now arrived and even at £350 I'm tempted.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/570175

Best thing I ever did was to buy a stereo with satnav, not many in single DIN and they have to have a motorised screen which I'm not a fan of.

Our is a Double DIN Clarion unit, it has got the setting for large vehicles but I always use it on the car settings as I don't want to be directed down main arterial roads all the time. We tend to plan routes on Autoroute then transfer them to the satnav, that's if we bother to do any planning.

It's nice having the stereo, satnav and reversing cameras all operating through the same unit, no mess of trailing wires.

Just taken the Clarion out of the van (fitted a cheap ebay one in place) ready to fit in the new van. I would never go back to separate units.

We have the Garmin 660LMT-D and have nothing but praise for it. We also have the in-built TomTom in our Ducato which is useless and have had many other satnavs over the years. Of course we never totally rely on a satnav but research where we are going beforehand plus we have a good knowledge of Europe having driven over there for many years.

As for speed limits in Spain - they are not so simple and vary greatly dependant on the vehicle you are driving and the type of road you are travelling on - have a look the following for an accurate source of information

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/going_abroad/spain/speed_limits_en.htm

Our motorhome is a PHGV so greater than 3.5 tonnes and our Garmin accurately warns us of both speed limits and weight limits even to the point of where I know where we are and know the width and weight limit and know that despite our dimensions we will get through OK (some sites are on narrow access roads with weight restrictions). Other than that no problems (yes, I know the warning 'bong' can be annoying but it is not there for long unless you really have gone wrong).

Alan

Archived