Motorhomes with scooters

Ipetchey

What's best, a motorhome with scooter (around 100gk) in garage or motorhome with scooter on rack on back? Pros and cons of each?

Currently we have a 6m motorhome with push bikes on the back, but we want a scooter. Current motorhome not suitable as we will overload the back axle (sv-tech have advised that even with air suspension we can not get the rear axle uprated sufficiently).... So looking for a replacement.

Max length 7.5m (driveway restriction). Max price around £40k (but prefer closer to 35k, so looking at new or a few years old. Must have a fixed double bed at back of van. So thinking of either French bed layout with scooter carrier or transverse bed with garage under.

Any help appreciated. Any advise on motorhome models to look at from users that scooter.

Ps. Not interested in trailering a scooter. Think this option leads to a caravan!!

Ian and Leigh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ian and Leigh and welcome to the mad house.

We have done both (rack and garage) and by far the most sensible is the garage if at all possible.

1) A rack substantial enough to carry a 100kg bike is going to a have a very hefty weight itself. Possibly nearly as much as the bike depending on where it can be fitted to. Some vans have only chassis extensions from just behind the back wheel to the rear of the van which are not man enough for the job of attaching a bike rack so you end up with a lot of extra steel just to get from the chassis to the back of the van.

2) The further away from the back wheels you add the load the more effect that load has on the rear axle and the greater effect it has on steering as the weight is brought off the front axle. So getting the weight forward is better.

3) Even with a good bike cover your new pride and joy is going to get mucky.

4) Leaving a 2 or 3 grands worth (depending on your choice of scooter) of bike on show is an open invitation to some of the light of finger brigade.

5) It is usually much easier to secure a bike in a space with 4 sides than it is on a rack. You will spend a good deal of your holiday just covering and strapping down your bike on a rack and then undoing it all again to use it.

As for a 'van to put it in - I don't think you will find a new one, in the price range you quote, capable of carrying a bike in a garage but there many second hand ones about. Be carefull though as some 'vans with a garage will leave you in the same position as you are now as they may not have a floor in the garage capable of carrying a 100 plus kg bike - try and find out what the original manufacturer spec was.

One of the reasons we like the Frankia is that the garage can be specified as a single or double. This is the same size space but has a large rear door and one side door for loading on a bike and a divider separating the rear part from the front part which has a door on either side of the 'van. The benefit is that you don't have to climb over the bike when it is on board to get to all the rest of your goods and chattels. Also it has a checker plate floor and a strong alko chassis which is sufficient for our 125kg Honda SH125.

Not sure what type of van you have in mind..but if I needed to lug a scooter about,I'd be looking at a garaged MH on a twin RWD chassis...

Something similar to these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-CHAUSSON-WELCOME-28-/280973425893?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item416b523ce5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-09-Ford-Transit-Kentucky-2-4-Tdci-140-motorhome-garage-Rimor-/230871802503?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item35c1082287

(..I know plenty of people manage with fwd but to me a heavy load carried behind the axle,requires RWD)

Hi,

This is my experience over the past 5 years.

Van,Chausson Welcome 75 with a double bed which can be raised or lowered over a large double entry garage.

Scooter,Piaggio Liberty 125cc.with large diameter wheels.

Van Max Load 3500kg.Rear Axle Max Load 2000kg

Weight when loaded with driver,passenger,scooter,30%water,summer clothes and food and other required items (gas ramps cables helmets etc)

Van 3400kg Rear Axle 1900kg

This measurement was taken on a level entry weighbridge at a local council weighbridge.

I hope this is of interest

Regards.

Guest JudgeMental
Motorhometone - 2012-12-12 4:52 PM

Hi,

This is my experience over the past 5 years.

Van,Chausson Welcome 75 with a double bed which can be raised or lowered over a large double entry garage.

Scooter,Piaggio Liberty 125cc.with large diameter wheels.

Van Max Load 3500kg.Rear Axle Max Load 2000kg

Weight when loaded with driver,passenger,scooter,30%water,summer clothes and food and other required items (gas ramps cables helmets etc)

Van 3400kg Rear Axle 1900kg

This measurement was taken on a level entry weighbridge at a local council weighbridge.

I hope this is of interest

Regards.

exactly the kind of info required, but sadly never enough forthcoming, as then we could have a data base of info......well done

pepe63 - 2012-12-12 5:48 PM

Yep..It'd probably help the OP more, if those who have recommended a specific model of scooter,could also re-post with details of the vehicle they lug it in/on..and what it all weighs in at...? :-S

Pepe: I thought I'd done that?

.....Details of van in profile

......Model of bike in the post

......Weight of bike in the post

......Location of bike in the post

All in 9 words admittedly, but still all there?

Hi,

Our "scooter" is a Suzuki Address circa 110kgs carried on a rear rack

Van is Ace Airstream 600EK on a Duc x250 swb

Weight fully loaded for long term tour with scoo, food, clothes,two batts etc etc and 100% water and fuel :- rear axle 2040kgs!!!!

Ray

laimeduck - 2012-12-12 5:57 PM

Yep..It'd probably help the OP more, if those who have recommended a specific model of scooter,could also re-post with details of the vehicle they lug it in/on..and what it all weighs in at...? :-S

...Well....the model of your van's there,yes..but what about

any garage weight limits?..and axle weights?.. and some real world all-up weights?.. ;-)

(..and if the OP's got to trawl through and make sense of folks' profiles and has start idenifying and checking model spec's,then he may as well of not asked the question on here in the first place..(lol) )

For me it would always be a rack on the back. We have a rear lounge which I would never swap for a different layout so thats how it has to be. Plus Ive seen people struggle getting them in garages. Our bike goes on and off our rack in 30 seconds.

Fitted by Armitage trailers in Ferrybridge its as solid as a rock, built into the Alko Chassis and will take up to 200KG.

Our bike is a 2 stroke Peugeot Speedfight 2 100cc. About 60mph flat out, 70-80 mpg and has been superb but they dont make that model any more which is a shame as its only 95KG.

Van is a Swift Kontiki 640 without about 700 KG payload. Im right on the limit though. There are very few vans that can take a rack and bike. Some of the tag axles should be ok and I think some of the Autotrails and Hymers

pepe63 - 2012-12-12 6:45 PM

laimeduck - 2012-12-12 5:57 PM

...Well....the model of your van's there,yes..but what about

any garage weight limits?..and axle weights?.. and some real world all-up weights?.. ;-)

(..and if the OP's got to trawl through and make sense of folks' profiles and has start idenifying and checking model spec's,then he may as well of not asked the question on here in the first place..(lol) )

Sorry! I was replying to the OP who didn't ask any of these questions.

laimeduck - 2012-12-12 10:14 PM

pepe63 - 2012-12-12 6:45 PM

..but what about any garage weight limits?..and axle weights?.. and some real world all-up weights?.. ;-)

Sorry! I was replying to the OP who didn't ask any of these questions.

(lol) ..Sorry Jeremy but as the OP was after the "Pros and Cons" of lugging a scooter,I would've thought that such things would be amongst the very questions he'd be needing to know the answers to.. :-S

(..especially as these forums are usually awash with posts about payloads(lack of),axle weights,SVtech,Air assistors etc....... ;-) )

I have carried a scooter on a rack for over six years now. I do not agree with Barry that only a few vans will carry a scooter, our last van a 2008 Swift Sundance 530Lp did it with ease and was only a small van. Van had 1900 kg on the rear axle, scooter, Honda Innova weighed a bit over 100kg, rack and towbar around 50kg. The rear axle loading was near its max with very little water carried, when uprated to 2000kg no problem at all, we could carry half a tank of fresh water and had a few kgs to spare. This van was only 19' long with a payload of 3300kg uprated to 3500kg so I think from this their are a lot of vans capable of carrying a scooter, you just need to throw all the junk out you carry around. Whether it is better to carry on rack or garage no idea but agree with Barry here, watching others struggle with scooters in a garage would stick with a rack. Other good scooters are Honda vision at 100kg and if you can carry it the scooter of choice Honda PCX at 125kg.

rupert123 - 2012-12-13 2:51 PM

....Whether it is better to carry on rack or garage no idea but agree with Barry here, watching others struggle with scooters in a garage would stick with a rack..

That's a very good point to bear in mind...and one that I'd also want feedback on,if I was looking at carrying a scoot'... ;-)

I have carried a scooter on a rack for over six years now. I do not agree with Barry that only a few vans will carry a scooter, our last van a 2008 Swift Sundance 530Lp did it with ease and was only a small van. Van had 1900 kg on the rear axle, scooter, Honda Innova weighed a bit over 100kg, rack and towbar around 50kg. The rear axle loading was near its max with very little water carried, when uprated to 2000kg no problem at all, we could carry half a tank of fresh water and had a few kgs to spare. This van was only 19' long with a payload of 3300kg uprated to 3500kg so I think from this their are a lot of vans capable of carrying a scooter, you just need to throw all the junk out you carry around. Whether it is better to carry on rack or garage no idea but agree with Barry here, watching others struggle with scooters in a garage would stick with a rack. Other good scooters are Honda vision at 100kg and if you can carry it the scooter of choice Honda PCX at 125kg.

I dunno Rupert. Ive looked at this quite a lot over the last year or so and I could find hardly any that on paper would take a rack and scooter but to be fair I am limiting my options somewhat by insisting on a replacement van being the same layout as ours (rear lounge).

In the end I was looking at tag axles of which rear lounge models are few and far between.

Barryd999 - 2012-12-13 3:53 PM

I dunno Rupert. Ive looked at this quite a lot over the last year or so and I could find hardly any that on paper would take a rack and scooter but to be fair I am limiting my options somewhat by insisting on a replacement van being the same layout as ours (rear lounge).

In the end I was looking at tag axles of which rear lounge models are few and far between.

One thing I have noticed about this Barry, the newer the van the less payload you get. We bought a PVC after the sundance and intended to carry a scooter on one of those racks with wheels. However the PVC simply did not suit us, to 'pokey' and that nightmare slideing door, so are now looking to get rid and buy another CB. Have not bought secondhand for some years but on checking payloads of new vans are now going to. It would also seem that when makers switched from the old fiat base to the X250 in 2007 payloads also took a hit. We to want a rear lounge and are looking around but it will almost certainly be one a few years old, plenty around with very low mileage.

rupert123 - 2012-12-13 4:20 PM

Barryd999 - 2012-12-13 3:53 PM

One thing I have noticed about this Barry, the newer the van the less payload you get. We bought a PVC after the sundance and intended to carry a scooter on one of those racks with wheels. However the PVC simply did not suit us, to 'pokey' and that nightmare slideing door, so are now looking to get rid and buy another CB. Have not bought secondhand for some years but on checking payloads of new vans are now going to. It would also seem that when makers switched from the old fiat base to the X250 in 2007 payloads also took a hit. We to want a rear lounge and are looking around but it will almost certainly be one a few years old, plenty around with very low mileage.

I think your right. Our Kontiki is 16 years old now but has a payload of over 700KG on a 3500KG Chassis! How is that posssible? Well I also heard that the new payload calculations include more things like half a tank of fuel and water etc but to be honest I just think vans just got lardy. Too many safety features and gadgets if you ask me. Just more stuff that will break down and annoy you. I really did look quite hard a year ago to find a replacement for Hank the Tank but I just couldnt. Not without too many compromises or spending a fortune. Anyway it's like an old glove our van now and after the way it performed all summer where most of it was in the Alps Ill just keep it.

If it aint broken, dont fix it kind of thing. Bloody wheels will drop of now. :-D

Archived