Motorway tolls in Portugal

Don Madge

The system for collecting Portuguese motorway tolls can be a minefield if you are not prepared for them especially if you have used the motorways in France and Spain.

This info only applies to foreign tourists using motorways with electronic toll systems. I've just set out the two systems Easytoll and Tollcard which I think will cover most tourist needs.

EASYTOLL

The EASYToll system is a method for automatic payment of electronic tolls, for tourists and immigrants, with the association of a credit card (Mastercard and Visa) to the license plate of the vehicle.

The driver, not having to leave the vehicle, enters the credit card in the payment terminal and the system automatically associates the vehicle's license plate to the bankcard. The tolls rates owed are directly debited to the account associated with the card.

At the time of sign up, valid for 30 days, a ticket is issued as proof and must be kept.

The sign up has a cost of 0.60€+VAT and each journey has an administrative cost of 0.26€+VAT.

Sign up at the Welcome Points located at the border posts at the following locations:

A28 - Viana do Castelo; A24 - Chaves; A25 – Vilar Formoso; A22 – Vila Real de Santo António

We have used this system at the A22 Vila real and found it simple to use. The system is well signed and should be easy to find. The ticket took a few moments to appear and we had almost given up when it appeared, so don't panic. The credit card was returned almost immediately. Portuguese vehicles only have six digits on a number plate and we noticed that the first letter of our number plate was missing. One can only assume the system can only deal with six digits.

TOLLCARD

The TOLLCard is an "on the shelf" product, activated through an SMS, with a fixed amount to be consumed depending on circulation. This solution allows payment in cash or with bankcard, is valid for one year and your balance can be found on the Internet. It is aimed at tourists and immigrants. The driver can buy a pre-loaded card with 5, 10, 20 or 40 € (with an added service cost of 0.60€+VAT for each purchased card).

After purchasing the card, the driver shall proceed to its activation by sending an SMS by mobile phone with the code printed on the card and the license plate of the vehicle (instructions on the card), so that it is associated with the license plate of the vehicle. You can activate more than one card, with the accumulation of balances. The driver can check the card balance HERE and when the card balance runs out, the customer will receive an alert SMS. The activated balances will be consumed depending on the use of highways with electronic toll collection only and for each journey it´s applied an administrative cost of 0.26€+VAT.

Each card is valid for one year after its activation.

A tollcard that is not activated or damaged can be returned in any CTT office and its purchasing cost will be refunded. The remaining credit can also be refunded if a credit card was used for the payment (as long this was ordered during the sign up), in a 6 month maximum period.

Buy it at CTT post-offices, at Portuguese highway´s service areas or at www.tollcard.pt.

We bought the toll card on line and it has worked very well. I've topped it up twice and we have more than enough credit to get us out of Portugal when we leave. As it's valid for a year I can top it up before we leave home next October.

It takes about 2/3 days for your account to be updated after using the toll road.

Details of toll card here http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/pt/home/

For more info see FAQ's http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/faq-s;jsessionid=8B00F8607DE1D90CE18F90890B0FBB40

Safe travelling.

Don

Charles - 2017-03-22 5:01 PM

Got nothing booked but I think we'll be entering the north of Portugal near Porto and making our way south.

You'll drive thru a lot of Portugal to get to Porto unless arriving by sea

There is another type of Toll that you may come across first then it's the normal take a ticket and pay on exit

I don't usually use tolls but do to avoid the road conditions of some roads in Portugal

I was in Portugal 2 years ago. A friend asked me to accompany him to the main Post office in the centre at Lagos.

After queuing for half an hour we got to the Postmaster and my friend said that he had used the motorway and wanted to pay the cost, to be told. If you have GB plates there is not a charge as they have not got a system in place to charge.

People behind us who were Portuguese made a statement to the fact that they were subsidising the English. My friend was taken back by this so I piped in by informing the group about all the taxes we pay whilst staying in Portugal and that when foreign traffic come to the UK they do not have to pay for most of our motorways. The crowd went quiet!!

AJ46 - 2017-03-23 4:42 PM

I was in Portugal 2 years ago. A friend asked me to accompany him to the main Post office in the centre at Lagos.

After queuing for half an hour we got to the Postmaster and my friend said that he had used the motorway and wanted to pay the cost, to be told. If you have GB plates there is not a charge as they have not got a system in place to charge.

People behind us who were Portuguese made a statement to the fact that they were subsidising the English. My friend was taken back by this so I piped in by informing the group about all the taxes we pay whilst staying in Portugal and that when foreign traffic come to the UK they do not have to pay for most of our motorways. The crowd went quiet!!

That may have been so 2 years ago but I can assure you everyone pays now and what makes you think you should be exempt anyway ?

AJ46 - 2017-03-23 5:13 PM

I thought I made myself clear!! Only going by what happened then and my friend paid nothing. Has there been changes since 2015?

I thought my reply was quite clear !! Now everyone pays!

And what taxes were you and your mate paying anyway? News to me tourists pay a tax.

According to my diary for our last trip to Portugal which was over a 2 month period I paid 443 Euro's. You may not be aware but when you leave Blighty you still pay taxes. Many years back when I travelled quite extensively, on leaving a foreign country I could claim that tax back, but now in Europe we cannot do that, maybe Brexit will give us that benefit. If you still do not know what I am talking about it's IVA or in the UK it's VAT let alone the fuel duty.

Barcobird - 2017-03-23 5:01 PM

AJ46 - 2017-03-23 4:42 PM

That may have been so 2 years ago but I can assure you everyone pays now and what makes you think you should be exempt anyway ?

I was there last year and never paid any tolls for the above reason. The Post Office were unable to charge non Portuguese registered vehicles. A result! the system appears chaotic and variable at best.

AJ46 - 2017-03-24 2:17 PM

According to my diary for our last trip to Portugal which was over a 2 month period I paid 443 Euro's. You may not be aware but when you leave Blighty you still pay taxes. Many years back when I travelled quite extensively, on leaving a foreign country I could claim that tax back, but now in Europe we cannot do that, maybe Brexit will give us that benefit. If you still do not know what I am talking about it's IVA or in the UK it's VAT let alone the fuel duty.

Your reply is about as clear as mud!

Wherever you go in Europe you pay vat ! So if you go out for a meal or fill your van up you dont want to pay vat or if f you do you want it back in England?

Archived