Multi-trip Travel Insurance

Annie18

We have just purchased our first motorhome this year and after a lovely summer in this country are planning to go to Europe in October and return sometime before Christmas. Can anyone suggest suitable travel insurance for multi trips to Europe for long stay...the longest trip being upto 120 days to be on the safe side.

I have type 2 diabetes and my partner is 68. I've spent a long time trying to sort it out online but so far drawn a blank. The websites visited quote for short term or not multi trips..... >:-( . We are planning a trip to New Zealand next year but not in the motorhome. We may possibly insure that trip separately if it proves too expensive to do an annual trip worldwide...

We use this. https://www.nfop.org.uk/

Their reputation for claims payouts is good so much so that the eligibility rules have recently changed and you must now be a member of NFOP for 6 months before you can join so it's no help for this year, but maybe worth a look anyway.

Do you have the EHIC health insurance card, may not be a lot of use in the future depending on Brexit, but many insurers insist you use it to hopefully help with claims cost in the event of urgent or emergency medical care being needed.

Have a look at Nationwide building Society Flexplus. When I began it a two years ago the interest from £2500 in my account helped defray the monthly subscription of £13. I think that has changed for new members.

Vehicle insurance is with Britannia who brought our 'van home from Spain this year when an incompetent garage couldn't repair it. New glowplugs were all that were needed as I kept telling them.

Basic Personal/Health insurance is with UK Insurance who paid quickly for a £250 claim.

Over age 70 and for more than 30 days you have to pay extra. I paid £110 in August that allows 71 days period of travel abroad, for a year. We are both over 80 but with no obvious ailments.

The paperwork from Flexplus is very readable and concise and can be easily downloaded. Allow yourself a couple of days to assimilate its contents.

I'm not used to claiming on insurances so I hope this will be last, ever.

ALAN G - 2018-09-20 7:04 PM

Probably, but ours are minor. It will be easy to ask. UK Insurance is very friendly.

NO it does not and there are a few other restrictions and conditions that are no quite so age related friendly too!

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/P3349_FlexPlus_Worldwide_Family_Travel_Insurance_Policy.pdf

Tracker - 2018-09-20 5:55 PM

Does the NW scheme include full insurance cover for pre existing medical conditions?

Hi Rich, Yes it does, we have our annual travel ins with them., You have to pay extra, if over 70, and for extension . We had up to 90 days, on ours. Having sold the van, I have reduced to 1 month,per trip, as that will be enough for us now . You can cover (or Not) pre existing health issues. We have been with them for many years now. (When the scheme first came out. Was free up until 70) , but still good value for us, in our 80s

Worth looking into, IF you bank with them. I do believe they may have stopped offering to new customers now.,

PJay

• 2 weeks later...
paul_richardson - 2018-09-30 6:45 PMHi Guys,I'm trying to find an insurer who will repatriate my wife, my van and me in the event that I am unable to drive for some reason.We have European breakdown cover that does it all if the van breaks down, but not if I break down.Regards,Paul

I suspect you might be disappointed.  There is a gap between the cover traditionally provided by travel and breakdown cover and it is possible to find yourself caught in the hole in the middle.  But Britannia will repatriate (one way or another) if you become unable to drive and your wife doesn't drive the MH, so try them.

StuartO - 2018-09-30 6:59 PM

I suspect you might be disappointed.  There is a gap between the cover traditionally provided by travel and breakdown cover and it is possible to find yourself caught in the hole in the middle.  But Britannia will repatriate (one way or another) if you become unable to drive and your wife doesn't drive the MH, so try them.

Hi Stuart, I'll give them a ring and see what they have to say.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Annie. You have probably sorted your insurance now but this is what we have done. Husband 78 and me 62. We have used LV for several years now as they cover upto 90 days at a time. When we did a trip of nearly 6 monthe we had to do a Long term single trip " insurance and we did that with staysure. Ccc do 180 days a year but a maximum number of 90 days per trip so only 2 can be done a year so that was limiting. Chris

Hi,

When looking for travel ins. in the autumn of your life it is wise not to just look at the price of the premium.The first thing I check is whether or not the policy covers repatriation,it is surprising how many don't, especially the budget or standard policies.I don't want to sound miserable but the cost of such an exercise if somebody passes away will be huge.

cheers

derek

chris - 2018-10-30 9:11 AM

Agree Derek. LV are Which recommended. Trouble is when over 65 many outprice themselves as they don't want to insure you. Another 2 years before husband is 80. Look out then. We won't get long travel cover then. Chris

Hi Chris

We are BOTH over 80, me with Type 2 Diabetes!. We have cover with Nationwide (UK insurance) Had to pay extra for 90 day extension, but otherwise no problem.

As we no longer have MH, don't need such long cover now, so have 1 month .

Had a letter today, saying that they are changing terms from next year, reducing age extension, from 75 to 70

SO I guess it is going to get harder to cover us oldies. Just as well we have done a lot of travelling in the past, so Uk it will be for us now! I would still like to go to OZ, but don't think I could cope with the flight times !

Unless I win the lottery, then 1st class , would be my option, (Can but dream)

PJay

Hi

Just going through this process ourselves, it’s a minefield.

Have looked at lots of policies small print and most are useless for our needs.

We need winter sports cos we are taking Moho to alps over new year. Also we are visiting Canadaand USA later in the year. Plus we are active so permitted activities are important.

My tips is to check

Activities permitted. Eg Some don’t allow walking over 2000m or 2500m and other oddities eg nationwide

Maximum periods any one trip.

Check if you have any special interests you wish to peruse eg cycling or Winter sports, for instance caravan club don’t cover winter spot over 64 whilst C& CC just don’t cover.( we are both 68 but 69 when we go to Canada)

The two companies that seem to be ok for us ( covering wide range of activities and reasonable time away) are Saga and Trailfinders.

Saga limits to 120 days in a year which is a bit tight. Trailfinders (whom we always use for longhawl) limit 70 days per trip but no overall limit on year that I can see.

With any insurer you have to be careful with declaring previous medical problems and I have had these quotes from both and not a lot of difference.

I am still cogitating on which.

Re my preoccupation with walking altitude, as examples, Kleiner Scheidegg near Interlaken, a popular walking area easily accessed by train, is over 2000m whilst Jungfraujoch also accessed by train, where we have also walked is over 3400m. We have also parked high in other areas of the alps and walked.

Peter

Archived