Mystery water

bodach

I have a 2004 Ducato with 2.0 JTD. Since it is not at my home it has not been run for a month. Arrived this morning and tried to start. Lights all ok but when trying to start made brief attempt and then failed. Automatic assumption is failed battery so called AA. Guy arrived and tested battery which was ok. Starter was duff tho' so took it out for a look. Lots of water ran out so drained it and sprayed in some WD40. Success and it worked but where did the water come from? The van was parked on level ground in a sheltered spot. Drainage could have been blocked perhaps and it is run over into the engine bay.

The van is now at a garage waiting on a new starter motor but the mystery remains. The engine coolant level is normal so where did the water have come from?

bodach - 2017-03-22 4:53 PM

I have a 2004 Ducato with 2.0 JTD. Since it is not at my home it has not been run for a month. Arrived this morning and tried to start. Lights all ok but when trying to start made brief attempt and then failed. Automatic assumption is failed battery so called AA. Guy arrived and tested battery which was ok. Starter was duff tho' so took it out for a look. Lots of water ran out so drained it and sprayed in some WD40. Success and it worked but where did the water come from? The van was parked on level ground in a sheltered spot. Drainage could have been blocked perhaps and it is run over into the engine bay.

The van is now at a garage waiting on a new starter motor but the mystery remains. The engine coolant level is normal so where did the water have come from?

Rain!! I believe you have had your share of the wet stuff, up in Scotland.

You don't say how long you have had van? has it happened before?

PJay

Had the van for 5 years. This has never happended before but previously parked on front down slope which may shed water better. Once the garage gets the starter out they may be able to form an opinion. Leaves could have blocked drainage but no definite evidence of this.

Yes I agree

Rain although the problem was multiplied XX fold when the X250 model was introduce, it also affected some X244 models.

Size of the drain in the screen scuttle on both made them very prone to blockage & overflowing into the engine bay

Archived