New Motorhome layout picker??

ivannam

Hi everyone,

Im a new member to your forums and am hoping to buy my first motorhome in the next 2 - 3 months. Ive spent a lot of time comparing Motorhomes and have finally found a layout that I love. I want a low-profile, fixed island bed, drop down double bed with the bathroom split across the end of the rear fixed bed with the sink at the foot of the bed facing the cab. The Roller Team T-Line 740 2016 is one that has nearly all the requirements i am looking for but I dont want to settle on one without exploring all the other motorhomes that have the same layout. Does anyone know if there is any layout picker website that once you pick your layout it will tell you all the available makes and models that match up? I realised early on that there are a vast array of Motorhome manufacturers and am finding it extremely time consuming going trying to find what I a looking for?

Many many thanks to anyone that replies.

:-D

I always say, when looking at vans, pretend that you are living in it, on a rainy day. Is the layout suitable then, does the cooking interfere with access, . Fixed beds take up space, in small vans. There is no one van suits all, as we are all different . But do remember that , you can't always sit outside, as it does rain, even in Spain

If your first van then try hiring before you buy, as what you think you want, does not always work in practice

Also does your licence cover you to drive it?

Any way welcome to the forum, and do keep asking, as we have all been there, done that, and there are some VERY knowledgeable people on here, who are only happy to help , with suggestions

PJay

I can't think of any manufacturer who does a low profile with a drop down bed, but I stand to be corrected !!!

The drop down bed is normally in the cab area. A low profile possibly wouldn't give sufficient headroom with the bed in the down position and wouldn't have sufficient length for a lateral sleeping configuration.

However, there are plenty of A-class vans which would tick most of your boxes. They tend to be quite long, 7.5m +.

If you are restricted to driving a 3500Kg van, then you need to consider available payload. Your requirement seems to be for a 4 berth to carry 4 people. If that is the case, then you probably need a 4250Kg chassis to accommodate the 4 persons and provide a reasonable payload.

If you want a van to accommodate 2 adults + 2 children, then the Italian vans are very family friendly, which brings us back to Rollerteam. Some French and German vans have bunks in the back for children but not island beds.

Welcome to the forum.

Please be very aware that dealers forecourts are awash with ideal vans that turned out to far from ideal in the real world. It's a very expensive mistake to make and most of us have done it at one time or another!

If hiring for a short break is not for you then why not at least consider visiting a large MH show and looking at a whole range of layouts and maybe wander around the camping areas, or one make groups, and talk to owners of similar layout vans?

As Lenny says living in is very different to looking at so try sittting on the loo, washing in the shower, standing at the wash room sink with the door closed, using the sink, cooker and worktop whilst going through the motions (so to speak). Also try sitting, reading, lounging, watching TV, as some that look good are not at all comfortable for more than a few minutes.

PJay - 2016-05-28 6:26 PM

Fixed beds take up space, in small vans.

PJay

Any piece of 'furniture' takes up space, it's how you use it that determines if it's a waste of space, We use our fixed bed for lounging on as well as sleeping, this means we have two areas to inhabit inside the van as well as a large storage area, therefore, for us, a fixed bed is the best use of space.

Robbo - 2016-05-28 7:04 PM...........................If you are restricted to driving a 3500Kg van, then you need to consider available payload. Your requirement seems to be for a 4 berth to carry 4 people. If that is the case, then you probably need a 4250Kg chassis to accommodate the 4 persons and provide a reasonable payload...................

Strongly agree with the above. Payload stated to be 425kg, but the basis of the calculation is only quoted as MTPLM - unladen weight. Investigate this very carefully!

Whether it will work for you will depend on how you would use it, and for how many occupants. My own reaction is that a payload of 425kg is way too low for practicality on a 4/5 berth van.

Remember that the payload has to accommodate everything and everyone that will go into the van when in use. Just weigh the prospective occupants and see what is left when that is deducted from 425! Remember also that fresh water weighs 1kg per litre, and a van that size should have a tank of around 100 litres capacity, so your payload with a full tank is now 325kg. It may work for relatively short duration use if two of the occupants are children - who, of course grow - but otherwise I have serious doubts that it is a practical proposition for longer term use. Sorry.

Lots of major motorhome manufacturers nowadays offer ‘low profile’ designs with a ceiling-mounted bed that can be lowered manually or (more usually) electrically. The Roller Team T-Line 740

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/roller-team-t-line-740-motorhome-review/900150

is just one example.

Ivannam’s requirements are fairly specific and (to the best of my knowledge) there is no on-line application that would allow that exact specification to be entered and matching motorhomes to be retrieved.

The June 2016 issue of MMM magazine included a Buyers Guide supplement that listed motorhomes by bed-layout with "Coachbuilt ISLAND BED” being one category. Within that category, low profile models with drop-down beds were identified by the legend “LPDD” and the following manufacturers were said to market LPDD designs

Adria

Bavaria

Benimar

Burstner

Chausson

Dethleffs

Fleurette

Florium

Hobby

Knaus

Lunar

Rapido

Rimor

Roller Team

Weinsberg

Wingamm

I’ve no idea whether the MMM listing is complete regarding LPDD motorhomes, or 100% accurate, and it’s not possible to identify from the listing how many (if any) also have the Roller Team T-Line 740’s unusual bathroom layout.

All I can suggest is that Ivannam look at each of the above manufacturers' websites and discard the LPDD models that are too small/large, too expensive, have a less attractive layout to the T-Line 740’s, etc. It may well transpire that the T-Line 740-’s bed/bathroom combination is unique.

I too urge caution - buying a new one as your first motorhome, no matter how convinced you are that you have chosen well, is extremely unlikely to be successful and within a years or two of using it you will have discovered what you failed to anticipate.

Hire and/or buy second hand to start with unless you have money to burn!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a noob at this lark too - and like the same spec you do - apart from the basin facing the cabin bit? not too sure about that. But i do like the island bed, split shower and toilet areas and electric dropdown - i really like the look of the HYMER T CL Tramp 698 - it has island bed, large twin sofa lounge area and roof

mounted, drop down double bed. lovely looking MH :)

Archived