New Petrol locking cap

Thewad

A simple problem you would think, x250 07 Ducato, my old one decided to stay 'locked' could not undo despite trying numerous times, so eventually removed by force :D

I have been using just the shell for a while but need a new one.

Cant seem to fine an after market one anywhere, so rung main dealer and was told they can only sell me another 'shell' of a cap to fit old lock into,this is the bit that's faulty or a complete lock change doors etc and reprogrammed

So my question is does anyone know where i may be able to buy one,

Thank you

This fuel cap (without lock) is said to be suitable for a Ducato X250

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Ducato-Peugeot-Boxer-Citroen-Relay-Fuel-Cap-OE-02-On-1333085080-/282361980279

and this barrel + keys (supposedly) would match the cap

https://www.motor-doctor.co.uk/door-lock-cylinder-lock/fiat/ducato/ducato-platform-chassis-250/10208-150-multijet-2-3-d

If the cap + barrel would marry up and fit your motorhome, you’d have a working locking fuel cap, albeit with a key that did not match your vehicle’s ignition-switch.

(Your best bet might to be a vehicle dismantler who should be prepared to sell you a 2ndhand cap complete with lock and key.)

I’m pretty sure the cap that is advertised is correct as it looks exactly like my Ducato’s.

The lock-cylinder is also advertised here

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/miraglio/8154293?gadw=1&gclid=CI3_hqC31tYCFSEM0wodPhwDWw

and - on the face of it - would also appear to be correct.

(I’ve no idea how easy it is to fit the cylinder to the cap!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Campers,

I was a bit sceptical about the claim that an X250 fuel cap was backwards compatible with one for a 1999 vehicle, so i have just checked.

A cap from a 2007 X250 is the same in all but part number to one that i just took from a 2004 'facelift 2002' vehicle. The earlier vans from 1999 to 2002 used a domed type of cap that i don't think would fit under the later flap.

If the image that you have seen is of a flatish cap with a flat blade to turn it with then i suspect it will be fine, and having a different key for the fuel cap to the one you start the engine with is a great idea, as any Ford owner will tell you!

If it is a steeply domed cap, with ribs all around it; i would not expect it to be compatible with any vehicle after 2002.

NB.

I had a look at the one in the link for 1999 onwards. I think it looks ok but would not bother with the chrome one. The £16.49 model in black should suffice and it's not much to risk. Let us know how you get on...

Ok, I try and explain as best I can, the cap does fit as in it slots into filler but does not turn to give a tight fit then twist key to lock like original.

It locates into filler and you just turn key to lock, I prefer the 'feel' of original, the test will be to see if any leaks on a full tank.

I cleaned rubber seal on cap fitted and removed and there is clearly a 'seal' mark around rubber so fingers crossed.

Only problem as far as up date is, I sold van and it is being picked up today but new owner knows about it, I will give him my other new one from main dealer without lock just in case any problems.

I will ask him to let me know if ok and pass on results

Archived