New Pollution Regulations France

Vernon B

This is a short verbatim piece from a local free-bee newspaper so treat with some caution.

"UK motorists driving to France face fines of up to £117 if they fail to display a new vehicle emissions sticker.

The Crit' Air scheme requires all vehicles to show how much they pollute, on a scale of one to six.

A spike in pollution in Paris on Monday meant all vehicles with a level five sticker were banned from travelling within the city's second ring road, the A86.

The scheme was launched on January 15 but vehicles registered abroad will be allowed to drive in the French capital without the sticker until March 31."

Raises more questions than answers - but I thought you should know,

V

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Useful info.

Seems it applies to vehicles entering Paris at the moment ( but no doubt that will just be a start !)

Stickers cost about £3.50 each - ( so nice little earner there - reminds me of their breathalyzer kits ).

I've read that a website will be available for ' foreigners ' to buy discs, next month.

Googling will direct you to more info as it's been in several U.K. newspapers.

This link is to the Crit’Air website

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

There’a note at the top of the webpage indicating (as malc has said) that it should be possible to order the vignette for a non-French-registered vehicle from the beginning of next month.

The vignette scheme applies to Lyon and Grenoble as well as Paris (though how it will be implemented apparently differs for the first two cities) and its operating principles are summarised here

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

There will be a similar situation in London soon. A few days ago so called 'P' levels were said to be extremely high.

It has a far more reaching aspect than London's traffic. There is controversy running about a new runway at Heathrow or Gatwick.

chris - 2017-01-30 4:02 PM

Well I have just went onto the site and it does not recognise the British number plates so they are not set up for foreign vehicles yet. says it will be ready end of Januaray. Will try again in day or so. CHRIS

Supposedly Wednesday 1 February 2017 is the ‘foreign vehicle’ start-date (see my posting of 26 January 2017 6:36 PM above and the information in the pink section at the top of the webpage accessed by my 1st link in that posting).

Will86 - 2017-01-30 5:23 PM

There will be a similar situation in London soon. A few days ago so called 'P' levels were said to be extremely high.

It has a far more reaching aspect than London's traffic. There is controversy running about a new runway at Heathrow or Gatwick.

..........and I understand that there is a proposed new cruise liner ferry terminal at Greenwich.

Not heard much about that.

I've read that when liners are ' parked ' there the emissions will be the equivelant of over 600 diesel engined lorries parked with their engines running.

So don't feel too guilty about a few trips in your diesel engined motorhome.

;-)

pagey - 2017-02-02 2:14 PM

hi just been looking at this then realised that the french government will now be able to find any persons address in the uk if you should get flashed by a camera or park where you should not ....a can of worms i think

My understanding is that, if you (ie a UKer) apply for an ‘emissions-sticker’, you will need to fill in the form presented to you on the Crit’Air website and upload a copy of the vehicle’s UK registration certificate.

However, although this means that you will have provided data that could allow you to be ‘found’ in the UK via your vehicle’s registration-number if, say, that registration-number were recorded by a French speed-camera, it does not follow that the French authorities now have access to the DVLA’s complete registration-number database. It just means that, where those UK people (or where those people from other non-French countries) who apply for emissions-stickers are concerned, the identification data they provide can, in principle, be used for other purposes (eg. fining for motoring and/or parking offences committed in France.)

Basically, if you apply for a French emissions-sticker you make yourself theoretically vulnerable to follow-up action by French authoriities for offences other than those that involve the emissions-sticker system. But as I’m not going to apply for an emissions-sticker, I shall continue to be ‘invisible' (at least for the time being!) in France as far as speed cameras are concerned.

Just had a dry run at completing an on-line application, which requires:-

"Your registration certificate must be up-to-date, and be sent as an attachment

The attachement must be in .png or .jpeg format and must not exceed 200kB

The Air Quality Certificate will be sent to the address you indicate, after verification of the atachment"

Has anyone been able to create a legible version of the V5 in a 'jpeg file size of 200 KBs or less?

V

pagey - 2017-02-02 5:09 PM

yes Derek me too as the form asks for your name address and email etc i wiil try to obtain one in france as i did in germany in a garage

You may be out of luck, as the Crit’Air website’s FAQ section contains the following advice:

"How do I get a certificate for a vehicle not registered in France?

A specific system is available since February 1st. It have a multilingual interface where you can enter the required information shown on your Registration Certificate and attach a scanned copy of your Registration Certificate.

Can I get my certificate other than online?

Vehicles not registered in France: you can only apply for the Air Quality Certificate online

Can I pay other than by debit card?

Vehicles not registered in France: you can only pay for your Air Quality Certificate by debit card.”

(It might also be useful to know how much of a UK V5C registration certificate needs to be uploaded when applying for a sticker - presumably just the front page, but who knows?)

I tried but, no classification for Motorhome or Private HGV, there is no Co2 figure on my V5 and I cant get an image down to 200kb.

Computer says NO!

I have submitted questions by e mail so will see what the result is but, having tried a dry run my vehicle should get a 2 sticker but the system says 4. I don't like cities anyway but, if its anything like the London zone, I would have to pass through the zone, this is very relevant as I understand Bordeaux is about to join the party!

I scanned in my O2 if V5 on my HP flat bed color scanner as a a4 greyscale document at 100 dpi and saved as a low res jpg and it was <200kb and legible ;)

As I'm <3500 kg, I registered as a private car and was able to leave the co2 value blank. Don't know if I filled it was right tho!

Solwaybuggier - 2017-02-02 7:18 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-02 6:00 PM

(It might also be useful to know how much of a UK V5C registration certificate needs to be uploaded when applying for a sticker - presumably just the front page, but who knows?)

I'd have thought that p2 is the key to confirming the data they want?

I don’t know what you mean by “p2”.

Perhaps you are referring to this, which seems vague to me?

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/demande-ext/cgu/

(As I’m not going to be applying for a French emissions sticker I’ve not wasted my time by going beyond the start of the procedure’s “FORM” stage.)

Archived