New camper to New Zealand

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Yes I'm contemplating buying a new camper 8-)...........................But only because I read, I think on here of someone who did just that and almost covered his holiday costs by selling it in NZ :D.......

I believe there is a firm that actually specializes in such ventures? :-S.........I've had a trawl through old threads but couldn't find them

We would go for about a year hopefully B-).................subject to flogging the house *-)

Guest pelmetman
johnnerontheroad - 2013-03-24 2:59 PM

I would ask on a NZ motorhome forum someone will know if it is true or not.

Good idea.... ;-)

I would guess it must be down to exchange rates, as they must have masses of ex hire vans. Would need to check on base vehicle, all I remember seeing where japanese vans don't recall seeing any ford, fiat, renault or merc vans, but that was 23 years ago, we hired a isuzu truck conversion.

Hi Pelmetman There was an article a bout this in MMM about last Sept time.

It gave the contact details for the guy in NZ and it was done through I think west Country Motorhome I believe they have done a few of these deals.

If I can find the article I will provide more info, unless someone else do's first.

Guest pelmetman

Thanks for the input chaps :-D....................Its just a thought at the moment, as my thinking is if we've sold the house we'll have the dosh, and no point in leaving in the bank for the government to nick *-).........I have recently got in touch with an old shipmate who lives out there, and we have other friends and family who have emigrated, and the country looks stunning from the pictures I've seen.......

I'll have to dig out my old MMM's David, maybe that's where I saw it ;-)

pelmetman - 2013-03-24 5:23 PM

.I have recently got in touch with an old shipmate who lives out there, and we have other friends and family who have emigrated, and the country looks stunning from the pictures I've seen.......

More freebies....... *-) :->

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-24 8:36 PM

.I have recently got in touch with an old shipmate who lives out there, and we have other friends and family who have emigrated, and the country looks stunning from the pictures I've seen.......

Dave

Of course :D...................My CV now reads...........International sponger, armchair anarchist & virtual troublemaker (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2013-03-24 8:47 PM

Dave

Of course :D...................My CV now reads...........International sponger, armchair anarchist & virtual troublemaker (lol) (lol)

You forgot Bigot, ;-) :D :D

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-24 8:53 PM

pelmetman - 2013-03-24 8:47 PM

Dave

You forgot Bigot, ;-) :D :D

Dave

Oh yeah :D............Bigot and professional idiot...............I must be qualified to run for Election (lol) (lol)

Dave,

The article is in the November issue page 181. We had also thought about this but have decided since to do NZ by hireing a car and doing B&B, as we would only be out there for approx 6 weeks, and we have several friends out there to visit.

We had friends that went to Australia for a year they bought a second hand camper out there and when they finished they sold it for what they paid for it.

Guest pelmetman
David Dwight - 2013-03-25 3:00 PM

Dave,

The article is in the November issue page 181. We had also thought about this but have decided since to do NZ by hireing a car and doing B&B, as we would only be out there for approx 6 weeks, and we have several friends out there to visit.

We had friends that went to Australia for a year they bought a second hand camper out there and when they finished they sold it for what they paid for it.

Thanks David ;-)................found it last night.......and they reckon what they sold for the camper paid for their holiday as well B-).....

Just got to work on Sue........as she doesn't like flying anymore :-S

F.W.W.

The Kiwis are great and friendly people but their driving is appalling ! If you can take a dash board camera just in case. The main reason the fatalities are low, is that there are not that many cars on the road.

Investigate hire car insurance in this country, We paid about £40 a year for the insurance the car rental company wants £20 a day for.

If arriving at Auckland, try car/ camper van hire from Juicy http://www.jucy.co.nz Truly awful graphics but the prices are a lot more realistic than Via the commercial airlines.

Any car hire, obviously check for damage, but take a look at the wipers as the go hard in the sun and you only find out the hard way when it rains !

Rgds

Just noticed this thread. First thing to consider is how long you can stay. As a UK resident, you can stay visa-free for up to 6 months. For longer stays, you need a visa, but even then, the maximum is usually 9 months. Here’s a link to a government site that explains it:

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/3816

Our dollar is ridiculously high at the moment so any proceeds of a vehicle imported to and sold in New Zealand will look quite good when converted into UK pounds. If you buy new in the UK and meet certain conditions, you can get the VAT refunded so that’s a real saving. But, you should be aware that although no duty will be imposed on the van when it enters NZ, you will be charged our equivalent of VAT (called GST – Goods and Services Tax) at 15% on the total of your purchase plus shipping plus insurance costs. Once this is paid, you will receive Customs clearance. The van will then be held in bond until it has been inspected by our transport authorities to confirm it is structurally sound and that the odometer has not been tampered with (obviously not a problem with a new vehicle), then inspected by our agricultural authorities to see it has no soil, plant or animal matter in any crevice that could harbour diseases that may threaten our farming industry. This requires the van to be in showroom condition. If it has been used on the road in the UK, the underside and engine compartment will have to be thoroughly steam-cleaned. This can be done here but is best done before leaving the UK. After all that, it cannot be used on the road until it has been certified as complying with NZ vehicle regulations. With a new van, that won’t be a problem, but a used vehicle can be a nightmare. The main problems are rust and accident damage. Any evidence of either results in extensive invasive inspections that can cost a lot of money. Rust in this context doesn’t just mean holes in the bodywork – the slightest hint of surface rust on the underside, perhaps from exposure to the salt you use on your roads in winter, will initiate the invasive inspection. As I said, a new vehicle should be OK. Once the vehicle passes all these inspections, it has to be registered, NZ registration plates fitted, a Warrant of Fitness (equivalent to your MOT) issued, and if it’s a diesel, road user charges paid (this is a tax that for reasons that make no sense is included in petrol prices but not diesel. You buy in advance licences based on distance to be travelled).

All of the checks here are at your cost. I would imagine that the inspection and certification costs would be between $1,000 and $2,000, excluding any remedial work needed. If you use an agency to handle the process, you will have to pay their fees as well. The shipping company will probably offer to handle the Customs clearance, transport authority and agricultural inspections processes, for a fee, but I think you would have to get another agency to handle certification.

The link you were given above will cover most of this process, but I hope I’ve clarified things.

As has been said, you can buy here and sell before you return home. A lot of used vans on the market here are ex-rentals. I’m generally not impressed with NZ conversions used by rental companies. They’re adequate but lack the refinement of UK and European models. The good news is that UK and European vans are now being sold here in increasing numbers, and some rental companies now use them. I can’t comment on how much a van would depreciate (or appreciate if you were very lucky) over a period of use here. The market is totally different from what Colin describes above. European-based vans are very common now, the same platforms being used for NZ conversions as are used in the UK.

Be aware that motor insurance is not compulsory here, but is advisable. AA New Zealand are probably as good as any for this. Bring some evidence of your no-claims history in the UK. Insurance is much easier for non-residents to get here than it is in the UK.

I think it’s a little harsh to describe our driving standards as appalling as Tony has done, although I agree that standards aren’t as high as in the UK. Impatience and lane discipline are the main problems. Drivers of motorhomes are generally disliked and will be targets of abuse (from a small minority of drivers) as they frequently potter along very slowly. As very few (almost none) of our roads are dual carriageway, failure of slow traffic to pull over when they can to let traffic past causes great distress amongst other drivers. UK friends who have hired motorhomes here have had no problems with the standard of Kiwi drivers.

If you have any other queries, I’d be happy to try and assist.

Alistair

alistair - 2013-04-04 1:47 AM

. UK friends who have hired motorhomes here have had no problems with the standard of Kiwi drivers.

Alistair

I'd agree with that. Spent two months driving around both north and south islands and had no trouble at all with any Kiwi drivers.

Maybe some of them are just a bit startled to see someone else on the same road.

We didn't spend much time in cities so maybe that's where the appalling drivers are.

( Just like anywhere else in the world ).

:-D

Guest pelmetman
Patricia - 2013-04-04 8:24 AM

Dave and Sue - what about Troy?

We won't be going until Troy has gone to the dog walk in the sky..........so hopefully a few years yet.....plus we have Europe to wander around first...........I'm just thinking long term as hopefully we'll have quite a few years as gypo's ahead of us B-).........

Just got to sell the house first though *-)

Guest pelmetman
alistair - 2013-04-04 1:47 AM

If you have any other queries, I’d be happy to try and assist.

Alistair

Thanks for the offer Alistair ;-)..........just starting to look into the various options at the moment..........but thinking 6 months is the most sensible time scale B-)

We found the driving quite OK, we found the police tough on law breakers regarding speeding, we were puzzled on seeing so many wooden crosses at 'accident corners', yes many, so nothing was learned! One curious road experience was that when trying to enter a road from a side road no one would give way, and I mean no one, I queried this and was told when a NZ driver is on a particular piece of road he considers it HIS road and therefore will not allow anyone onto it.

In particlular when trying to walk across a road in towns even when the traffic was very slow, no one would give way !

I wonder if Alistair has a comment on that which we found curious

Mrs T

Hi Mrs T (I’m reluctant to call you by the name your profile says is commonly used). The comment about Kiwi drivers “owning” the piece of road they’re driving on is quite valid. Letting traffic in from side roads or pull out of parks, or making gaps to allow lane changes seem to be considered signs of weakness by too many drivers who fiercely protect their bit of roading real estate. Where a side road meets a major road, the side road usually has a give-way sign. In country areas, traffic on the main road is unlikely to stop or slow to let you in, unless traffic has virtually ground to a standstill (rare on our roads) so you have to wait. Where no give-way signs are present, normal give-way rules apply as in the UK, and the same situation can exist. The give-way rules for turning traffic were recently tidied up to be more like the UK and elsewhere, but discourteous drivers are still plentiful. When we first visited the UK in the 1970s, we were amazed how easy it was to enter a busy road from a side road, and to change lanes. The notion of traffic making room for you was totally foreign to us. Flashing headlights usually means “get out of my way” rather than “I’ve seen you – go ahead”. As has been said, we can get away with it because of low traffic densities.

I think the situation is improving. We still have the Neanderthals who bulldoze their way along the roads, but more and more, people are using their indicators and other drivers are responding by letting them in. Here in Christchurch, we had huge traffic problems post-earthquake as many roads became impassable, useable but badly damaged, or closed. The whole central city was closed off for months, and significant parts of it still are. Traffic diverting onto the remaining roads created gridlock equal to the worst the UK can offer. Even now, with some roads still closed, offices now relocated to suburban areas, and vast numbers of road-works sites as the authorities repair infrastructure, we have very bad rush-hours. The upside is that outbreaks of road courtesy are now quite common and changing lanes, or pulling out of parks, driveways or side roads, is now much easier. People have realised that no-one gets anywhere in that situation unless we’re all courteous to each other. Even the flashing of headlights to signal another driver to go ahead is starting to catch on. There are still the inconsiderate oafs, but we’re getting better!

Having shipped quite a few vehicles over the years it seems that great research should be undertaken. We also would like to import a European MH but the law in Australia has been changed, so that's us out.When I lived in NZ the restrictions were breathtaking. The Lord Mayor of Auckland imported two fire appliances for the city, a personal gift,he was rich. BUT due to a small firm in Upper Hutt building CKD American lookalikes the two fire engines had to be re-exported to the Pacific islands. In Australia car enthusiasts rarely buy Kiwi cars because it is so tricky and expensive. Caveat Emptor,but good luck.

Archived