Noisy wElddis water pumps

bond38

Ours (2008) was noisy certainly.

In case you didn't know, there are 2 types of water pumps/systems:

- a pressurized one where a pump pressurizes the system until it cuts out at a preset pressure often around 1 or 1.5 bar. The taps used are then standard ones just like taps at home. As pressure is released through the open taps the pump cuts in to build it back up and continues for a few seconds after the taps are closed.

- a system where each tap has a microswitch which triggers a submersible pump in the tank each time a tap is opened. The pump runs only when taps are physically open.

Our Elddis had the latter type and, yes, there was a very audible whirring of the pump each time a tap was used. I've no idea whether current models retain the same system though.

I was able to reduce my pump noise considerably by careful padding of some of the pipes. The vibration of the pump seems to rattle the pipes against things over quite a distance. The pump will be a common unit so the Autoquest shouldn't be any noisier than many other vans.

I actually prefer a pump that I can clearly hear to be working. With a pressurised system (which yours probably is) when the water runs out it slowly goes very quiet and won't stop until it dies!

We had a pressurised system in our 2011 Elddis caravan. You could hear the pump but it wan't noisy. But it was a great system and always gave a good pressure through every tap. It also has the best shower I have ever used in a motorhome/caravan.

Archived