Nordelettronica NE237 module and solar panel connection

DickB

My 2013 Adria has the NE237 controller which has a 3 pin socket (JP7) where pin 1 is negative, pin 2 is car battery and 3 is service battery. There are 20 and 15amp fuses in the latter 2.

I haven't needed solar so far and have managed 2/3 days off power with sometimes only a short drive which seems to fully charge the batteries.

There is nothing in the instructions about the max input from solar, or if it is a raw output from the solar or if a controller is needed first. Can anyone advise?

My inclination is to connect solar via a controller directly to the service batteries which is what I have had on my boat without any problems. Is this likely to be a problem?

It's unlikely to have a built in solar controller, more likely to be for the output from the controller to keep track of all power going in and out of the batteries and share the charge between service and engine battery. If you wire directly to battery you bypass this functionality. But, I could be wrong since I don't know NE237 and haven't read the manual.

DickB - 2019-05-13 6:02 PM

My 2013 Adria has the NE237 controller which has a 3 pin socket (JP7) where pin 1 is negative, pin 2 is car battery and 3 is service battery. There are 20 and 15amp fuses in the latter 2.

I haven't needed solar so far and have managed 2/3 days off power with sometimes only a short drive which seems to fully charge the batteries.

There is nothing in the instructions about the max input from solar, or if it is a raw output from the solar or if a controller is needed first. Can anyone advise?

My inclination is to connect solar via a controller directly to the service batteries which is what I have had on my boat without any problems. Is this likely to be a problem?

You need to add a dual battery Solar regulator, The max output of the Solar regulator should be 15A/200w

The connector just gives you easiy access to the wiring of both the Starter battery and Habitation battery and the charge will show on the NE266 display.

Many thanks to you both for the quick responses; all is now clear. When I am back in the UK I will be investigating solar panels and controllers. The info in similar threads and Allan's website have already helped enormously.

• 3 weeks later...
Alan, my solar controller is connected to my NE237 unit via the 12v input connections ie where the starter and leisure batteries are plugged in. Would it be better connected via the J7 plug and if so where can I obtain suitable plugs for that J7 socket?

Archived