North Coast 500

cleddytanhouse

cleddytanhouse - 2017-04-08 8:29 PM

In today's Times newspaper, there is an article on the above route around the North of Scotland. The author of the article used a T5 camper. Does anyone know if the route is suitable for my 7.6m long Autotrail?

We did it last year in a 6 metre Auto-Sleeper Warwick Duo without noticing any problems at all. The route itself is on main roads, so no difficulty there as HGV use them all the time.

We are planning to visit those parts in our Stargazer in may, so hope to see how it has changed since our last visit many years ago with caravan in tow.

Please arrange for mozzies to be kept indoors, and the weather to be calm bright and sunny, not the strong winds of prsvious visits.

Tonyg3nwl

Did it last September, some of the route is on single track roads with passing places but no problem at all.

If the weather is nice I would recommend a day trip to Orkney from John O Groats. We used the Campsite next to the ferry terminal, but you can leave your van in the car park there.

Wonderful scenery, stunning white beaches and blue sea, we also stayed at Sango Sands, Durness, loved it there.

Enjoy your trip.

We here on Skye are noticing a huge increase in traffic year on year. In winter months we are spoilt by the ability to get from A to B very quickly with no traffic to speak of. Summer, however is becoming a nightmare for us locals. Slow moving visitor traffic nose to tail and no one pulling over to allow us to overtake and go about our business.

Can I make a plea, please, that rear mirrors/cameras are used on a regular basis and if there is a traffic build up, that pulling into a layby is regarded as good form.

On single track roads, this is especially important, but take care. There are some big potholes in some of the pulling-in areas which we locals know about but visitors may not, especially if filled with rainwater.

In addition, never, ever, be tempted to pull onto a grass verge. Chances are it will be peat bog and you'll sink into it. Mobile cover is not brilliant, and recovery wagons may be difficult to summon.

We are hoping to do the NC500 later this year but can I ask you guys how long it took to travel the route.

I appreciate the fact that any motorhomer could spend only a few days or even 3-months enjoying the NC500 but we'll only be able to secure about 10-days at once this year.

Would this be enough time to get something out of the trip.

Cheers all,

Andrew

I would like to suggest that if you are doing the NC500 that if you are looking for an overnight stop then you you consider diverting off the route to the Old Harbour at Kinlochbervie. Last August they opened an Aire with 5 electric points on the harbour side.

To get to turn right just before you enter the new harbour area and drive passed the Spar shop about 150 yds. You pay at the Shop which is quite well stocked. Spent a pleasant 48hours there last September watching them bringing in the Crabs and Lobsters which apparently were destined for Spain.

By the way one tip is keep your fuel tank topped up as you follow the NC500 because when we went there was no fuel in Durness and Tongue.

Doug

DJA - 2017-04-12 10:35 AM

I would like to suggest that if you are doing the NC500 that if you are looking for an overnight stop then you you consider diverting off the route to the Old Harbour at Kinlochbervie. Last August they opened an Aire with 5 electric points on the harbour side.

To get to turn right just before you enter the new harbour area and drive passed the Spar shop about 150 yds. You pay at the Shop which is quite well stocked. Spent a pleasant 48hours there last September watching them bringing in the Crabs and Lobsters which apparently were destined for Spain.

By the way one tip is keep your fuel tank topped up as you follow the NC500 because when we went there was no fuel in Durness and Tongue.

Doug

Doug,

That sounds fantastic. I'll check it out on the map tonight.

Very many thanks,

Andrew

Bop - 2017-04-12 1:02 PM

DJA - 2017-04-12 10:35 AM

Doug

Doug,

That sounds fantastic. I'll check it out on the map tonight.

Very many thanks,

Andrew

Just for information, the aire at Kinlochewe is is £15 per night.

A lot of good advice there for drivers going to the north west , deffo more and more traffic over the years , the poor car park at old man of stoer is bursting, aim for early in day late in the evening , last year I saw a tourist coach , euro plates north of Ullapool I hope he was turning right at ledmore junction ? Oh but what a lovely part of the uk , whatever the weather and the midges

DJA - 2017-04-12 6:16 PM

HI

It was £10 per night when we stopped there last September just after it opened. Have just found the Kninlochbervie community website and it appears they have raised it to £15.

And in 2014, before it was even £10, it was a great free wild camping spot. Progress eh..

CAPTURE.JPG.e54affea01f82d7ba31b9804947572fb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As for Midges

Some years ago, we came across a product that some locals have been using for years – we tried it and it is an excellent midge repellant and it is actually nice to use on your skin. It must be the best kept secret in the fight against midges. The product is called, Skin So Soft – dry oil body spray. It is produced by Avon and its use against midges was, it seems, a complete accident! It is not marketed as a midge repellent but as a beauty product. Yes – it has a feminine aroma but that does not deter the male forestry workers nor the British Army from using it ! Have a look on their website www.avon.uk.com

Archived