OBD port lock

TeamRienza

I have been considering installing a port protector like, or similar to this.

Link to Amazon

I am slightly concerned on two counts. They appear to need to ‘cut’ channels into the port with non tamper screws. I have done some research but cannot find fitting instructions to clarify this, and secondly the one or two reviews would suggest there is the potential for damaging the functioning of the port by the screws.

Any one got first hand experience of fitting and using this or similar. Your views would be welcome.

I already use a stoplock pro, a long hasp padlock on the steering column ‘cv’ joint, a secured reversed drivers seat and a strikeback alarm.

Davy

(Edit: Link shortened - Keithl)

I wouldn't touch the lock on the Amazon link with a bargepole. I don't know what base vehicle your MH is, but for any age of Transit or an X290 Sevel van from 2014 I would recommend one of the model specific OBD locks from Trade Vehicle Locks.

https://www.tvl-ltd.co.uk/content/ecuobd-protection-device

No tampering with the vehicle connector is required other than uncoupling it from its bracket, assembling the lock casing and loom protection around it and securing it to the recommended location with the provided security fixings. Full instructions are provided.

More difficult to advise for the X250 vans as the OBD connector is integral to the body computer casing on those vehicles, but TVL may well have a solution.

I have fitted one of these to my 2018 Ducato PVC. The instructions are a bit confusing - I received useful advice from the Motorhome Fun forum on the fitting technique.

Actually it's very straightforward, you screw two self tapping screws into the centre line if the OBD socket - well away from the pins. The location of the screw points is determined by the housing that locks over the top of the OBD port. The screws have security slots machined into their heads and without the tool that comes with the kit you will not be able to remove them. Just don't lose that tool!

There is a credit card sized ticket that has the number of your key and if you want a spare, or a new key you must send a picture of the card to the manufacturers in Germany. They will supply a new key for about £35

Driventemple - 2019-11-17 12:46 PM

I have fitted one of these to my 2018 Ducato PVC. The instructions are a bit confusing - I received useful advice from the Motorhome Fun forum on the fitting technique.

Actually it's very straightforward, you screw two self tapping screws into the centre line if the OBD socket - well away from the pins. The location of the screw points is determined by the housing that locks over the top of the OBD port. The screws have security slots machined into their heads and without the tool that comes with the kit you will not be able to remove them. Just don't lose that tool!

There is a credit card sized ticket that has the number of your key and if you want a spare, or a new key you must send a picture of the card to the manufacturers in Germany. They will supply a new key for about £35

Unfortunately that is a good example of what I meant when I said on another recent thread that law-abiding people don't think like thieves when they consider security.

Whilst I haven't seen one of those "protectors" in the flesh, looking at the instructions and your description it appears that an adapter plate (plastic or metal) slots into the centre slot of the plastic OBD socket and is held in place by two "security screws" to form the bracket that the protective cover attaches to.

So basically two screws tap into the plastic body of the OBD socket as the retainer for the cover plate. I don't think I would need the special tool to remove the cover if I was a thief. I'd just prize the whole thing out with brute force.

Don't underestimate the capacity of a thief to cause damage. If they need to remove trim panels to gain access to components they don't worry about having the correct drivers for the fixing screws, they just rip the whole lot off by force.

Once they have accessed the OBD socket and used their override device, they need to disable the steering lock and switch on the ignition. The vehicle owner does that with his or her key. The thief more often than not just rips off a few trim panels and either pulls the cylinder out of the ignition lock or smashes the casing in seconds using brute force and the homemade tool he's brought along for that purpose. See the attached photos for just a couple of examples that I've seen. If they are prepared and equipped to forcibly dismantle the ignition lock in a matter of seconds, don't think a shield secured into plastic by a couple of screws is going to stop them for long!

That's why I recommend the TVL OBD lock. For not a great deal more than the cost of the device you've linked to, you get a thick steel box with a security locked cover which totally encases the OBD socket and is in turn secured to a substantial structural part of the vehicle using shear bolts or similar secure fixings.

Is it 100% secure? Of course not. A thief with a drill could get into it or remove it given enough time, but he'd need to have bought the drill with him in advance and it would take a lot longer than removing the cover of the other device. It might in the circumstances just be easier to drag the vehicle onto a recovery truck, but I'm afraid I wouldn't spend £70 - £100 on that German OBD lock when a more secure item that is going to cost a lot more time to overcome is available for not a lot more money.

Just my observations as an ex-professional who has examined literally thousands of recovered stolen vehicles or parts thereof!

1639750862_IgnLockDamage2.jpg.94ad01689d6e41b22fc9e39ed30165b4.jpg

815680693_IgnLock3.jpg.d7d9bcccc7fc980009600cc4563ca8e7.jpg

Deneb - 2019-11-17 2:09 PM

Unfortunately that is a good example of what I meant when I said on another recent thread that law-abiding people don't think like thieves when they consider security.

Whilst I haven't seen one of those "protectors" in the flesh, looking at the instructions and your description it appears that an adapter plate (plastic or metal) slots into the centre slot of the plastic OBD socket and is held in place by two "security screws" to form the bracket that the protective cover attaches to.

So basically two screws tap into the plastic body of the OBD socket as the retainer for the cover plate. I don't think I would need the special tool to remove the cover if I was a thief. I'd just prize the whole thing out with brute force.

All parts are metal and the screw heads are reccessed into the cover. I don't think we are trying the make our 'pride and joys' totaly secure. I just want the would be thief to move on to someone else!

obdcover.jpg.aa68efcaa6194fe8d7d3ca3984f369f9.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far, with a particular nod to Deneb whose past experience I value.

I know there is no right answer or infallible method of security, but I do believe in the layering system to inconvenience, slow down or put off a potential thief. I currently have 7 layers of security, some visible and some not, but am conscious that the van could be trailed onto a low loader but think that to be fairly unlikely.

I am also conscious that I am substantially more at risk of a burglary in the great scheme of things and take appropriate actions to lessen or mitigate losses.

It does seem though that vehicles (mine is Fiat based) have an unnecessary weak point in the OBD port and it would make sense to block this.

I have formulated what I think I will do into two possible solutions.

1. Fit a full steel keyed box such as the link, although I need to check compatibility as most info is ford based. My van is an A class so need to ensure it would fit easily.

https://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehicles/fiat/ducato-2006-present/ducato-2006-present-obd-port-protector

2. I may simply fit a dummy OBD port with the real one relocated using this piece of kit.

https://www.dummyobd.com/shop/fiat-dummy-obd-port-relocation/

No doubt thieves are aware of such moves so I might consider fitting one of the screw covers to the dummy port to draw their attention to the decoy rather than have them rip the dash to bits looking for the relocated port.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Anti-Theft-Immobiliser-Socket-Interface/dp/B07MMV98YS/ref=sr_1_10?crid=FN1VBDZ8ZVEE&keywords=obd+port+lock&qid=1574005333&sprefix=Obd+port%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-10

Any views or preferences welcomed.

Davy

I too have adopted a layered approach with Proplates on the doors and a Thatchem class 1 alarm.

I would caution moving or physicaly altering the look of the OBD port as Garages may be unwilling to plug their expensive diagnostic equipment into a dubious looking socket? The advantage of the cover is that before going in for a service the cover is removed and everything appears normal.

slowdriver - 2019-11-17 6:56 PM

A naive question but what are the comparative levels of security offered by Proplates compared to to the Heosafe system of additional locks on the rear, sliding and cab doors

http://www.heosolution.de/GB/index.php?

Proplates are not locks, they just prevent the standard Ducato door lock from being bypassed with a narrow screwdriver punched up and under them, trggering the door release.

The Heosafe system IS a lock and thus much more expensive.

TeamRienza - 2019-11-17 3:45 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, with a particular nod to Deneb whose past experience I value.

I know there is no right answer or infallible method of security, but I do believe in the layering system to inconvenience, slow down or put off a potential thief. I currently have 7 layers of security, some visible and some not, but am conscious that the van could be trailed onto a low loader but think that to be fairly unlikely.

Davy,

I can tell you have put some thought into this now :-)

The Protectavan/TVL OBD lock (they are the same company, just retail and trade websites) relocates the OBD socket under the lower dash panel just above and to the right of the accelerator pedal bracket. It is bolted to the dashboard subframe and van body by replacing the existing subframe mounting bolt with a shear bolt. I would imaging that most A class vans still use the Fiat subframe or a similar version as it is the skeleton onto which the dashboard assembly is mounted.

The OBD socket is not altered in any way, other than being fully enclosed and internally secured within a steel box, and it's wiring shrouded from the box back to the loom. Just unlock and remove the front of the box for servicing and tell the technician where to find the connector. It was no problem for my local Fiat Pro dealer and in fact most light commercial vehicle workshops will have seen similar devices before. They can however have issues with connecters which have been obviously modified or had their wiring altered, as they risk possible damage to their expensive diagnostic equipment if something is not right.

I fitted a "dummy" OBD socket in the original bracket, having relocated the genuine connector inside the TVL lock, but I just cut one from a scrapped Ducato and taped the wiring into the existing loom so that it appears to run into the loom although not in fact connected to anything.

My concern with the type of dummy connector that you linked to is that by plugging it in to the original, but relocated connector, a thief only has to follow the cable back to find a connector that he can plug his override device into, unless you secure the junction in a tamperproof steel box.

I have no connection with TVL by the way, other than having had discussions with their staff at conferences. But they are well informed about the common weak points on different vehicles, and the products they produce to prevent them are well designed and implemented. If you look at the products they manufacture for different models of vehicle on their website, you will get a feel for the weak points of different vehicles, such as the door wiring looms on Transits, ECU shields for Sprinters, etc.

I do agree with Driventemple on the use of Proplates and a good alarm system independent of the canbus and operated separately to the vehicle door locks or remote fob, as part of a layered approach. I also use a TVL Pedalbox which we carry in the van (it serves as a footrest for my wife in the passenger footwell when not in use) and a Disklok when the van is parked up at home.

Proplates are not locks, they just prevent the standard Ducato door lock from being bypassed with a narrow screwdriver punched up and under them, triggering the door release.

The Heosafe system IS a lock and thus much more expensive.

Thank you -yes I appreciate that additional locks are more expensive - but maybe more effective as they are an additional barrier and an additional visible barrier. Personally given the complexity of fitting either proplates or HEsafe locks , if you are cack-handed (I am), I am going to end up paying someone to install either of them and I'm interested therefore in what people think is the most effective barrier.

A naive question but what are the comparative levels of security offered by Proplates compared to to the Heosafe system of additional locks on the rear, sliding and cab doors

As Driventemple has said, Proplates prevent manipulation of the factory door locks by sliding an implement behind the handle or punching through the door skin. If you have an alarm system that is turned on or off automatically by locking or unlocking the doors, manipulating the locks through that vulnerability can also disable the alarm.

Fiat now fit internal lock shields on the newest Ducatos at the factory.

Heosafe locks are secondary door locks that work in addition to the factory locking. Whilst they have an obvious function, there are some possible downsides to consider.

The external locks make it obvious when locked that there is no-one in the van, and they might result in very expensive damage if someone attempts to force them by levering them off of the vehicle. They are not as securely mounted as more expensive commercial locks such as the Armourshell.

If you have factory deadlocking and Proplates, there is little to be gained by fitting additional locks in any case, particularly on a van with plastic windows.

You have to make up your own mind as to the benefits and risks of various types of security. My personal view is that Proplates present an obvious deterrent to what is probably the most common method of quick and unobtrusive entry to vans in service areas and similar places, but additional external locks can advertise both that you are not in the van and that you may have something worth stealing inside. Attempts to overcome them might result in very expensive body damage to the van, although probably more so on a commercial vehicle as on a motorhome a potential thief would be more likely to just go through the windows!

Deneb - 2019-11-17 8:20 PM

As Driventemple has said, Proplates prevent manipulation of the factory door locks by sliding an implement behind the handle or punching through the door skin. If you have an alarm system that is turned on or off automatically by locking or unlocking the doors, manipulating the locks through that vulnerability can also disable the alarm.

Fiat now fit internal lock shields on the newest Ducatos at the factory.

Heosafe locks are secondary door locks that work in addition to the factory locking. Whilst they have an obvious function, there are some possible downsides to consider.

The external locks make it obvious when locked that there is no-one in the van, and they might result in very expensive damage if someone attempts to force them by levering them off of the vehicle. They are not as securely mounted as more expensive commercial locks such as the Armourshell.

If you have factory deadlocking and Proplates, there is little to be gained by fitting additional locks in any case, particularly on a van with plastic windows.

You have to make up your own mind as to the benefits and risks of various types of security. My personal view is that Proplates present an obvious deterrent to what is probably the most common method of quick and unobtrusive entry to vans in service areas and similar places, but additional external locks can advertise both that you are not in the van and that you may have something worth stealing inside. Attempts to overcome them might result in very expensive body damage to the van, although probably more so on a commercial vehicle as on a motorhome a potential thief would be more likely to just go through the windows!

Most helpful. I take your point about visible deterrents not actually deterring but inviting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Driventemple

Interested in where you purchased your Proplates from?

Also the Internal Lock Shields, when did Fiat start to introduce these?

Called Swift a couple of days ago to check with them if our motorhome has them fitted, they supposedly checked with their technical people and called us back saying they did not have Internal Lock Shields fitted to our motorhome which is a Fiat Ducato 2018 model.

I wonder if this is correct...

tmdgts - 2019-12-04 7:08 PM

Hi Driventemple

Interested in where you purchased your Proplates from?

Also the Internal Lock Shields, when did Fiat start to introduce these?

I purchased the plates on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-relay-fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-07-onwards-door-handle-pro-plate/143285993976?hash=item215c82c1f8:g:2FcAAOSwoZJb9afU

I don't know when these were introduced or even if they are fitted to UK vehicles as my van is a German import.

There are several suppliers of ProPlates and they vary in design and price. Many however will be resellers of the plates produced by Protectavan/Trade Vehicle Locks, which in my opinion are the best design on the market as they include a fully boxed internal shield/strengthening plate for the lock mechanism and handle mountings.

Protectavan are the retail arm of Trade Vehicle Locks, who only sell to the trade.

https://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehicles/fiat/ducato-sept2006-present/ducato-sept-2006-present-proplate

I'm not sure how long Fiat have included their own internal shielding, although looking at the design of it I think it is possibly intended as much to strengthen the handle mounting area of the door as to protect against lock manipulation. I would imagine it has possibly been fitted since late 2016 when the euro 6 vans were introduced. My euro 5 van was built after the line had been converted to euro 6 production and whilst it didn't have the door plates, there are some other areas where modified parts have been fitted that shouldn't be on a euro 5 van.

But if the plates are fitted to a van built for the German market, I would say that they would almost certainly be included on UK spec vans. By that I mean panel vans, as cabs and chassis for coachbuilt conversion are not usually built to full UK spec, even if RHD.

One benefit of the aftermarket proplates though, besides strengthening the handle mounting area of the door skin and having probably the best internal lock shield design, is that being externally visible they may prevent a thief from deforming or otherwise damaging your door before they realise that the lock is shielded internally ;-)

pepe63 - 2019-12-06 9:34 AM

...and after all of these various "locks" have been fitted, the vast majority of MHs (even PVCs) will still have some plastic windows that can be yanked open with a little more than a sturdy screwdriver?.... :-S

Which is why locks should only be part of a multi-layered security system and not relied on alone.

But from the point of security on aires or when wilding, where the quiet undetectable entry method of choice is manipulating the cab door lock with a small blade inserted under the handle surround, I can't see a snatch and grab thief contemplating a more noisy method of entry in forcing a window, or the occupants sleeping through him climbing in through one; whereas many people remain undisturbed by the cab door being quietly opened and the pro-plates prevent that method of entry.

A good perimeter alarm system would also notify the occupants once the door was unlocked or opened, but a poor system that works from the door locking system would also be disabled when the lock was manipulated.

A thief manipulating a door lock in about the same time it takes to use the key is also likely to go unnoticed in even a busy street or car park, whereas forcing a window and climbing though it is again likely to attract more attention.

If you've left your van in a remote area or a storage location with little security, then a thief with all the time in the world is unlikely to be discouraged by most preventative measures, including alarms or pro-plates.

As previously said, it is for each owner to determine the risks and any measures they wish to implement.

pepe63 - 2019-12-06 9:34 AM

...and after all of these various "locks" have been fitted, the vast majority of MHs (even PVCs) will still have some plastic windows that can be yanked open with a little more than a sturdy screwdriver?.... :-S

True. But not relevant, since the purpose of an OBD lock, being discussed here, is not to prevent entry.

Its purpose is to prevent, or at least significantly delay, a thief from starting the vehicle, which is a different problem.

It is very clear from the discussions above that a very determined thief, will, with plenty of time, be able to steal pretty much any vehicle. The cordless angle grinder is an excellent tool for any wannabe tea leaf and will, with time, solve most problems he or she confronts. So defense has to be about layers of security and encouraging the potential perpetrator to seek out easier targets. An OBD lock is part of that strategy.

• 2 months later...

Came across this thread while looking for other alarm info, so waking it up again...

So, having read the pros and cons of the various OBD locks, isn't the electronic sort better, e.g. this one from Protectavan: https://www.protectavan.co.uk/content/electronic-obd-immobiliser

I note there's no price for it, so perhaps that's the answer to my question :-)

Graham

I eventually opted not to fit an OBD lock after the advice here and some of the reviews on Amazon.

The kit you are looking at was, if I remember, available through other sites if you dig about. Quite expensive if I recall and obviously needing a bit more work to install.

I think if I was to proceed, I reckon I would go down the hidden switch to fuel pump type of modification, but lethargy has set in.

Davy

Just remove the OBD port completely, I think there's only 4 wires.........cut them and just reconnect with a chocolate bar connector when the port is required by you or a garage. Put a sticker on the driver door window.....THERE IS NO OBD PORT IN THIS VEHICLE.....REMOVED.

Works so far, and it's cheap.

Archived