Oil capacity

bikey

Hi all

Changed oil today handbook for Fiat Ducato x290 130 multijet says capacity 5.9l

Warmed up engine drained oil removed filler cap and filter left to drain for 2 hours

Replaced sump plug fitted new filter and filled with 5l of oil

Started engine and left ticking over for 15 mins to circulate oil, switched off and left for 2 hours to settle

Checked dipstick and level was on the top full mark, checked again and same result

So do I go by hand book and put in another .9l as handbook says or go by the dipstick and leave as is

I have noticed when having van serviced at a garage it has been overfilled by the dipstick

Any theories among you knowledgable folks would be appreciated

Ps I have changed oil hundreds of times in my lifetime but have never had this before

Cheers Brian

Does the 5.9 L include oil filter and did you change that?

I always used to fill the new filter with oil before fitting it to reduce the time running with no oil pressure.

I would go by the dipstick, ensuring it fits tightly and snugly in it's tube.

Was the van on sloping ground as that might leave some oil in the sump?

Does the new oil look as clean as new oil should look, given that it will tend to blacken quite quickly as it circulates and picks up carbon?

bikey - 2021-11-16 6:57 PM Hi all

Any theories among you knowledgable folks would be appreciated

Ps I have changed oil hundreds of times in my lifetime but have never had this before

Cheers Brian

I've changed mine every year for 9 yrs now and it's never taken the full amount

Although 5.9 litres is the quoted capacity including the filter for the 2.3 litre multijet engine, my two nearest Fiat Pro dealers only add 5.4 litres at an oil change, as do I. That leaves a slight margin below the full capacity mark on the dipstick which is important on modern diesel engine vehicles to allow for the possibility of rising oil level due to oil dilution with fuel during DPF regeneration cycles, and the extra half a litre will from experience cause the level to rise above the maximum level mark on the dipstick.

If the level is excessive with only 5 litres of oil added to an empty sump and new filter, I also wonder if the vehicle was level, either due to a gradient of the surface it was parked on, or an excessive nose down attitude due perhaps to an adjustable (air assisted) rear suspension system?

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, yes the van was exactly level hence the use of planks to raise the front end,

Have decided to add a further .25litre taking the total to 5.25litres.

This gives me peace of mind knowing it will not be under filled or to far over.

Thanks again

Brian

Interesting. Have a look at this string, especially the last post in which I rounded up. https://tinyurl.com/42hy2my4

Your experience suggests to me that either the dip-sticks on this generation of Ducatos are inaccurate, or the measured quantity of oil stated in the manual is incorrect.

That various garages seem to have commented that they do not fill the sump to the full, measured, extent, plus my own experience with the conflict an over filled sump caused with the on-board, electronic, oil level readout (and its effect on the general warning light), suggests to me that the manual is wrong and the dip stick is correct.

The simplest explanation seems to be a typo in the manuals that has never been spotted. Perhaps Fiat should be contacted for comment? Something is clearly wrong.

...there are a few rumours around (and the odd Google hit) that a number of Ducatos left the factory with the wrong dipstick.

Certainly, the X/290 has had two different oil capacities on ostensibly similar (though not the same) engine.

My 2015 'van (2.3 150) had a service capacity of 5.9 litres, the current 'van (2.3 150) has a service capacity of 6.3 litres.

bikey - 2021-11-17 5:24 PM

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, yes the van was exactly level hence the use of planks to raise the front end,

Have decided to add a further .25litre taking the total to 5.25litres.

This gives me peace of mind knowing it will not be under filled or to far over.

Thanks again

Brian

In view of Robinhood's comment above, I note you aren't quoting the make and model of your van, or what make and version of base vehicle it sits on. Just in case we all have in mind different vehicles, I wonder if it might be worth doing so?

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-17 8:08 PM

In view of Robinhood's comment above, I note you aren't quoting the make and model of your van, or what make and version of base vehicle it sits on.

Brian,

It was in Bikey's OP...

bikey - 2021-11-16 6:57 PM

Hi all

Changed oil today handbook for Fiat Ducato x290 130 multijet...

Keithl - 2021-11-17 8:16 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-17 8:08 PM

In view of Robinhood's comment above, I note you aren't quoting the make and model of your van, or what make and version of base vehicle it sits on.

Brian,

It was in Bikey's OP...

bikey - 2021-11-16 6:57 PM

Hi all

Changed oil today handbook for Fiat Ducato x290 130 multijet...

Damn, so it was. Oh dear, Specsavers! :$

...yes, but the year might well be relevant as well.

Mine were both X/290. The first was a Euro 5 150 Multijet, the second was a Euro 6 (first stage - no Adblu) 150 Multijet 2.

I was quite surprised to find the sump capacity had changed - the engine is fundamentally similar albeit with different tweaking and ancillaries. (The same capacity difference applies to the 130 as well).

Patently, the most obvious conclusion is that the sump capacity changed with the move to the Euro 6 engine, though I can't prove it didn't happen in the run-up. On change of such model, there is always a possibility that some of the last of the previous got a wrong batch of dipsticks. (though it is mere conjecture built on rumour).

It seems the change from Euro 5 to Euro 6b should have taken place on 1/9/2015. That is to say all vehicles registered after 1/9/2015 should have been Euro 6b. This was announced some time in, I think, 2014, so it is inevitable that many vehicles sold before 1/9/2015 will have also been to Euro 6b standard.

Ours, 130 Multijet 2, no AdBlue, was built at SEVEL in April 2017, and is confirmed in the CoC as Euro 6b (shown as 6 Y on the CoC, but "Y" seems to be an administrative category for "light commercial" (N1) vehicles that was used in the EU legislation to distinguish them from other vehicle types that have achieved Euro 6b compliance). However, according to the guy who fitted the radio for us, it has a Euro5 steering wheel! :-D

I have an owner's Handbook for a Euro 5 Ducato that clearly states the sump capacity for a 2.3 130 Multijet as 5.3L, and 5.9L including filter. Oil: Selenia WR P.E. (SAE 5W-30 ACEA C2) The manual (in fact a supplement) is dated 08 2017 Edition3.

I have two further Owner's handbooks, one dated 06 2018 Edition 2, the other 06 2018 Edition 5, which both give the sump capacity for the 2,3 130/150 Multijet 2, the 2.3 150 Ecojet 150, the 2.3 Multijet with AdBlue and the 2.3 180 Multijet Power engines as 5.7L and 6.3L with filter. Oil, in all cases: Selenia WR Forward (SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2).

Consulting Fiat eLUM, and entering the VIN, shows the manual Fiat consider relevant. This is dated 03 2017 Edition 3. The results for sump capacity with/without filter, and oil type and specification, are as in the above 2018 manuals.

Don't know if this will help or confuse, but the only engine variant I can find that would register near full on 5 litres is the 2.0 115 Multijet 2, with a stated sump capacity of 4.5L and 5.3L with filter. Possible?

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-18 5:40 PM

It seems the change from Euro 5 to Euro 6b should have taken place on 1/9/2015. That is to say all vehicles registered after 1/9/2015 should have been Euro 6b. This was announced some time in, I think, 2014, so it is inevitable that many vehicles sold before 1/9/2015 will have also been to Euro 6b standard.

There was a derogation for multi-stage vehicles (e.g. most motorhomes) that allowed registration of Euro 5 vehicles at least up to the end of 2016, and possibly even into 2017.

As I recall Euro 6 Ducatos weren't available until September 2016. I ordered a Euro 5+ van in October 2015 and was given a delivery date of February 2016. In the event, there was a problem at the Sevel plant which resulted in the paint plant being demolished and rebuilt, stopping production for several months. Fiat took the opportunity to rejig the production line for Euro 6 production earlier than intended, and I had to be quite firm in stating that I had ordered a Euro 5+ van, and that was what I wanted. In the event, it went down the line in May and must have been slotted in to the first Euro 6 production because it has some Euro 6 parts fitted, although definitely a 5+ engine.

Archived