Oil level indicator on a Boxer

spospe

The oil level indicator (5 circles filled in black) in the instrument panel of my 2013 build Peugeot Boxer 2.2 litre has disappeared and no longer shows on start-up.

I have had a search on-line and found a few suggestions concerning pressing the brake and the accelerator together at the same time as turning on the ignition, but so far no joy.

Does anyone know how to bring the reading back? All suggestions gratefully received.

A Peugeot Boxer’s oil-level indicator was discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/OIL-Warning-message/46696/

and Keithl’s posting of 29 March 2017 7:30 AM within that thread mentions that the indicator can apparently be disabled/enabled through the vehicle’s menu system.

If you’ve been fiddling about with your Boxer’s menu system (say to adjust the clock’s time) you may have inadvertently switched off the oil-level indicator. If the menu indicates that the oil-level indicator option is enabled, then try switching it off and on again. If that doesn’t work, you’ve got a genuine problem...

Derek

Thank you for the lead, but it seems that I do have a problem that is a bit different. When I get to the section of the Owners Manual (Menu item 12) that shows a choice between, "Service (miles/km before oil change), Display the distance before an oil change is due" and "Oil", to display the oil level", my choice is, "Service" followed by either "Distance to oil change", or "Distance to service" i.e. I do not get a choice to display the oil level.

I will have another rummage round the internet, but may have to speak to my local friendly dealer. Either way I will report back when sorted.

Thanks again.

I have been to my local Robins and Day Peugeot dealer and they are to arrange an on-line technical consultation with Peugeot technical support. I will report back next week after this discussion takes place.

My 2012 Euro 5 Citroen Relay (same PAS engine I think) went into no oil level display and a flashing oil light about 500 miles after a service including oil change. Get a franchised dealer to clear the fault by resetting the vehicles computer. Whilst the garage had done this with their generic computer there is a second part to the reset involving the DPF side and if that isn't reset also the van goes into "warning mode" 500 miles after service interval (in my case time) had passed.

Hope this helps. This was my LAST van same model and make but earlier year just to avoid confusion.

There’s a YouTube clip about resetting a Peugeot Boxer’s service/oil-light warnings

but spospe’s problem is not that he’s got an oil warning-light flashing, but that the oil-level indicator that used to appear on his Boxer’s dashboard display has just disappeared, plus the ‘Oil’ option in the vehicle’s Menu system that the Boxer handbook suggests should be there is not present either.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-11 8:49 AM

There’s a YouTube clip about resetting a Peugeot Boxer’s service/oil-light warnings

but spospe’s problem is not that he’s got an oil warning-light flashing, but that the oil-level indicator that used to appear on his Boxer’s dashboard display has just disappeared, plus the ‘Oil’ option in the vehicle’s Menu system that the Boxer handbook suggests should be there is not present either.

Thanks Derek.

I did get the difference and interestingly in your clip at the beginning of the sequence the oil level indication was showing. I was really just speculating that there might be a connection between the two events. I think your clip suggests that that is not the case and I think the second part of the sequence may be the stage which my franchised garage called the DPF bit. Anyway scopse's forthcoming visit to the dealer will hopefully sort it out.

Incidentally because of my experiences in late 2012 with the company which supplied the base vehicle relating to suspension problems they quoted in writing to replace two top mounts and two suspension legs in less than 5000 miles and not covered by warranty because they are wearing parts (something which turned out to be complete nonsense and was documented on here at the time) I won't darken the door of the most obvious multi-franchise very large dealer but another company who is a Ford and Iveco dealer reckoned that their Ford Computer would speak to the Citroen (Puma) engine and it did !!

The engine in my new van is pure PAS and I have yet to get to grips with its vagaries

• 2 weeks later...

Got the van back today after a 6 day investigation at Robins and Day in Stockport. The answer / results are a bit perplexing and in a way unsatisfactory, in that a definite answer has not been found.

To re-cap; the oil level display which is normally visible for a few seconds when the ignition is first turned on; vanished. This was not a case of faulty readings, or no readings at all in the display, it was the case that the display itself had vanished from the instrument panel.

After a lot of rather unsatisfactory 'help' from Peugeot Technical support, Mike the Master Technician at R&D decided to try disconnecting the wires from the oil level sensor, drained a little oil from the sump and disconnected the engine battery. When the battery was re-connected and the system re-booted itself the oil level indicator was back!

According to Mike, the oil level measuring device is sensitive to the sump being over-filled and this just might have been a part of the problem (the oil level was OK on the dipstick).

In conclusion, if your oil level indicator has vanished, firstly make sure the oil level in the sump is below the max mark, secondly pull the plug off the sensor (I do not know where this is located) and thirdly disconnect the vehicle battery for a few minutes.

Archived