Omnistep electric step problem

colin weston

A couple of days ago the electric step on my 2007 Autocruise Starburst failed to retract when leaving a campsite. Its operation is primarily controlled by a rocker switch but if one starts the engine with the step out the step will normally retract after the engine has started. I normally rely on the engine start procedure to retract the step and usually hear the step retract and check all is well with my nearside mirror. On this occasion the step didnt retract. I tried the rocker switch but no luck. Out with the wiring diagram and check the fuse, fuse OK. Swapped fuse for another 20 amp fuse to be sure, still nothing. Checked connections on back of rocker switch and relay, no obvious problem here. Fortunately there was a garage nearby on the industrial estate at Hawes and with their assistance managed to sort out the two feed wires to the motor. Applying a 12v supply to these leads and the step retracted. (First attempt with a short application of volts had no effect as the polarity was incorrect.) At least the motor was not knackered!

I was quite satisfied that I could now at least drive home.

Assuming that the fault is not in the wiring I suspect that either the rocker switch or the relay is at fault although I note that Clive has identified as suspect a limit switch in the step with a similar faulty step. Another Autocruise Starburst owner on site had also had a similar problem but in his case the step was stuck in. A new rocker switch apparently solved his problem.

Question 1 How do I check the operation of the rocker switch and relay without endangering the electrics? Can this be done with the units disconnected and removed from the van? I have a multimeter.

Question 2 Assuming one of the above is faulty does anyone know where replacements can be obtained?

I am planning to attach a wiring diagram (see bottom RH corner)

Any help would be gratefully received.

1835937519_Starburstwiringdiagram.thumb.jpg.a351545a49e464a75154a274abfcfa79.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave

I had a very similar problem, but what is overlooked is that the actual mechanical bits in these steps rarely gets any attention, it is a fairly basic and it some ways a quite crude set up, and more or less exposed to the elements. With mine the mechanism had partially seized preventing the full travel in either direction to actuate the motor switch, if that makes any sense, sometimes it would open, sometimes not, ditto closing. I physically took it off the van ( only four bolts ) got the cover off and gave it a liberal soaking in WD40 left it overnight, then operated it off the van by temporarily extending the wiring at the same time as manually assisting the travel. This eventually did the trick. I have since made it a six monthly task to get the bottom cover off, and give it all a good blast of WD no problem since ( 2 years ), hope that helps.

Sorry just re-read your post, and my input may not be relevant, but then again it could as mine stared off as what could have appeared to be an intermittent electrical fault, and in any event a good blast of oil will help in the longer term ;-)

The on step switch provides an earth path for the "engine running" feed to automatically close the step and it is a common failing. As yours wouldn't work from the switch either (which doesn't use the earth path provided by the on step switch) then it must be either a power supply issue, an earth fault or a faulty switch.

1, I would replace the on step switch, its only a pin switch so cheap and easy to do.

2, I would make sure all earth connections are as good as they can be.

3, I would check the switch is getting power and earth feeds.

D.

Colin,

My Starburst (2005) is fitted with a 'Project 2000' electric step, Are they made by 'Omnistore' ?

or did Autocruise change suppliers (perhaps with the Swift Takeover) ? No problems with mine (yet) but as it operates the same as yours (auto-retract on Engine start) I am very aware of the Problems that a 'Non-retraction' would cause. And have made copies of Clive's and your Wiring Diagrams attached. So if the worst happens I at least know where to start looking. Thanks. ;-) Ray

Guest Tracker

Our Starlet II - a Starburst in Marquis format - has a Project 2000 step and this seems to differ from the aluminium Omnistor step in that it is rubber covered steel.

As ours is yet to give trouble - kiss of death! - I don't yet know who made it - and a quick google has not yet helped identify it - but as it differs visually there may well be wiring and cable colour differences as well so it pays to be cautious when experimenting with wiring alterations and by passes.

The rubber cover on ours appears to have absorbed water which froze over the winter and it had a big bubble in it which I had to 'burst' and glue it back down to allow it to slode in and out! I imagine the chances of getting a new rubber cover are slim and I can't see one online anywhere but we can live with it!

You are not going to believe this! I was rummaging around in my van locker this morning and what did I find? A relay lying on the floor under my folding chairs. When I looked at the relay location at Hawes when I first had the problem I thought it didnt look right but I didnt twig that the relay was not plugged in and was in fact missing! Is this what getting old does? Next job is to make a cover so it cannot get displaced again.

As an aside I found that Rose Awnings of Poole will supply a control switch for £26.80 + £5.00 P&P. This is fairly reasonable as another supplier is selling the switch at £57.45 inc VAT but without delivery! Profiteering or what! It pays to search around a bit when looking for spares.

Thank you again for your assistance. I will keep all the notes, etc in case I suffer a proper fault in the future.

Archived