Omnistep problem

david.hayward

I got a swift freestyle 2005 and the omnistep has just stopped i have checked the fuse in the engine bay and also replaced the rocker switch inside with no success i measured the voltage accross with a volt meter and i am getting 0.5V. Does anyone know what could be up with it? All other electrics are fine Dave

David,

Where are you measuring 0.5V?

I am not that keen on Clive's diagram, as he uses an unsusual set of wire colours, or perhaps the are correct for a folding rather than a slide out step?

Other published diagrams use the following wire colours which match those on my 2006 slide out Omnistep.

Motor connections: Orange and Violet (Purple). Limit Switch connections: Grey and Brown.

The brown wire is usually used as the 12V -ve connection for the relay and warning device.

In static conditions both sides of the step motor should be connected to 12V -ve via the control switch.

Pressing the "raise" end the switch should connect the orange motor wire to 12V +ve, and operating the "lower" end of the switch will connect the violet motor wire to 12V +ve. Please note that the orange wire will be routed via the auto raise / retract relay contacts.

Steps live in a hostile enviroment and can get jammed by mud, grit etc.

If working on a step mechanism, please disconnect the supply first, or you could loose your fingers.

Alan

Hi thanks for the reply

I am measuring accross the terminals on the back of the rocker switch ( terminal to ground)but not good with electrical stuff so should i be measuring this switch differently? i measured the light switch on the other side of the step switch and i get a reading of around 11.5volts

Hi David,

In the resting state, one of the switch terminals should be at 12V +ve to ground or 12V-ve.

The other three connections, that is both sides of the motor and -ve supply should be connected together via the switch contacts.

Looks as though you have lost the supply somewhere.

To check this try measuring the 12V +ve from your light switch to each of the step switch connections.

Three should show 12V, and the fourth (+ve supply should be 0V, but if something else is in parallel you could get a reading at that terminal also.

If you do get a 0V reading, that should be the wire to follow towards 12V +ve.

Looks like you may have a CBE combined step and light switch.

Hope that this helps.

Alan

Morning, Had this problem with mine this year. When you press the in/out switch is there any movement or sound at all?. If there is it's stuck, I took off the bottom cover and spayed everything, runners and motor with wd 40, still no movement, so I phoned I.H. Motorhomes, they advised that I connect up the EHU. then get somebody to press the switch to out while you pull the step out and it worked the step moved slightly but got better until t came out fully. I found when it was out that there are two screws which connect to the pivots arms were sticking, sprayed them with lots of WD 40 and slackened them off slightly. The step has worked since. But as said before watch your fingers. hope this has helped.

Hi David.

Sorry, but that does not exonerate the wiring. The 12V -ve connection for the step motor could be faulty, but that does not explain why you have the same reading on all four switch terminals.

As a check on the method. I have repeated the test on my own PVC, and read almost full battery voltage between the light switch supply terminal, and either of the motor (orange and violet ) wires. In addition a simple 12V test lamp illuminates when applied to the same connections as the meter.

You should see more than 11.5V at the light switch,, but your meter could be giving a low reading. Perhaps you could checkit directly across a battery?

Is the vehicle battery OK? You mention other electrics, but nothing vehicle specific,

Looking at Swift wiring diagrams of the same age as your vehicle, I note that the step is supplied from the starter (vehicle) battery, via a 20A fuse. The wire colour leaving the fuse is shown as brown with a green stripe (Bn/Gn). The 12v -ve connection is giveh as White/Orange. You should be able to light a 12V test lamp between these two wires at the step switch.

Alan

Hi I checked the leisure battery last night and got around 11.5volts

I have not checked the vehicle battery as i assumed the step was ran off the leisure battery i Will check tonight i checked the 3 fuses under the bonnet and they we're ok

I have just had the cambelt changed and i think the step issue started after it came back from the garage maybe

I do hope that it's your meter reading low, rather than the battery. Your 11.5 volts is too low for a healthy battery, and too low for long battery life.

As you hint, it may be a coincidence but a cam belt involves work under the bonnet, and access could be facilitated by removing the battery.

You may wish to check or recheck the connections under the bonnet. From the Swift diagram I would expect two relays (fridge and split charge) plus three fuses. There should be at least one brown wire connecting to the vehicle battery +ve terminal. If reconnecting to the battery positive I would most strongly advise disconnecting the battery negative first. This is an essential safety precaution.

The white/orange 12V -ve wire should also be connected at the vehicle battery negative terminal.

If either of the above connections have been disturbed, from the Swift diagram your step will not work, and your leisure battery will not be charged from the vehicle alternator.

Regarding your meter, is it possible to see what it reads on another vehicle battery?

Alan

Archived