Oyster Vision III Sat Dish initialisation error messsage

Tourope

Hi just pitched up and went to put Sat dish up when it came up with a message saying 'Initialisation error'. Then said 'Initialize Ant.' I've looked in the Oyster Operating Instructions book but it doesn't list any errors. Nor does it say how to initialise the antenna. I've also tried powering the van off and back on but the same error comes up again. And I've tried resetting the system by holding down all 4 buttons together for 2 seconds. Did that but same result.

Any suggestions most welcome.

I contacted Oyster via email and got the following response:

You can try to readjust the antenna.

Make the system powerless. Now go on the roof with a 17er wrench and open the two screws on the hinge. Lift the dish slightly up and tighten the screws. Now turn on the power again and see if the INIT error is gone. If yes go on the roof again, open the two screws, lay the dish flat again and then tighten the screws again firmly.

If it does not work after this procedure, there is a defect on the control board of the antenna or control box.

I went onto the roof with an adjustable spanner but couldn't budge the the hinge bolts. The spanner started to shear the bolt heads so I gave up on that idea. I'll try contacting the guy you recommended and see what he says.

I took Anthony's advice after buying a 17mm wrench and borrowing a ladder from campsite maintenance. Loosened the two bolts on the antenna hinge, reset the system by simultaneously pressing all 4 buttons on the control panel, re-tightening the bolts and then pressing the raise antenna button. All went well. SatNav back in business. Thanks all.

Tourope - 2019-09-14 8:37 PM

I took Anthony's advice after buying a 17mm wrench and borrowing a ladder from campsite maintenance. Loosened the two bolts on the antenna hinge, reset the system by simultaneously pressing all 4 buttons on the control panel, re-tightening the bolts and then pressing the raise antenna button. All went well. SatNav back in business. Thanks all.

Thanks for the feedback and glad you've got it working again.

I had a similar problem with my Oyster Vision 2 although the reset procedure was slightly different. I still had to clamber on the roof to loosen the bolts and retighten following Anthony's instructions for the intermediate steps.

I was in France at the time and contacted Anthony via email. He diagnosed the problem and sent me full step by step instructions for the reset. Brilliant service - his company is the UK representative of the German parent company.

PS. I guess your reference to "SatNav" should read "satellite system".....so as not to confuse subsequent readers of this thread.

Archived