Passport and sudden No Deal

BUGL-air

I have made a last minute decision to go to France in June but realise that my wife's passport expires 10 March 2020 but was last renewed 10 September 2009. I know this is OK by current EU rules but should we have a sudden No Deal Brexit ( extremley unlikely I know) it could be deemed invalid. Does anyone know what the position would be if I was already out there?

It's going into the eu with a nearly expired passport that could be a problem, no mention of coming back.

But the whole things such a mess that I doubt if even the border force know.

Why oh why did people believe those shysters like Liam Fox and Boris who said it would "the easiest negotiations ever"?

No, but why not just change it then you have no worries at all.

We have International Driving Permits and Insurance Green Cards so we know there will be no last minute concerns.

I believe there is a fast track renew system within the UK?

Guest pelmetman
BUGL-air - 2019-05-15 6:46 AM

I have made a last minute decision to go to France in June but realise that my wife's passport expires 10 March 2020 but was last renewed 10 September 2009. I know this is OK by current EU rules but should we have a sudden No Deal Brexit ( extremley unlikely I know) it could be deemed invalid. Does anyone know what the position would be if I was already out there?

What's the worse that can happen? ;-) ...........

They'll deport you :D ........

BUGL-air - 2019-05-15 6:46 AM

Strangely we are in the same boat as you, our Passports also expire next March and we are planning to head for france next week , also our Passports have 6 months added from our previous ones that were expiring,I have looked at the posted GOV web page and got the answer that it all applies from next October so I am none the wiser, we are just going to go and hope for the best.

We returned from 3 months in Spain on the 27th March this year the first no Brexit date expecting mayhem at the ports but it was business as usual at the ports , and we got a Ferry booking a few days prior to our return by phone via the CCC with no problem, we actually got on our Ferry home an hour earlier than the one we were booked on, so l hope all will work as well on our return back to UK in August.

Many thanks for all your advice everyone. I think that I have nothing to worry about but for peace of mind I shall get the passport renewed, get a green card and IDP then I will not have this nagging at me all the time I am away. Trouble is that I am a natural born worrier.

On 11 April 2019 EU leaders agreed to offer the UK an extension on Article 50 until 31 October, 2019, This extension was accepted by Theresa May. Donald Tusk, the president of the European council, said that until that deadline what happens will be in the hands of the UK. It can ratify the withdrawal agreement, and leave. It can change strategy, or it can decide to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit.

So the UK will remain in the EU until 31 October 2019 unless the UK government decides to leave the EU before the 31 October deadline.

If the UK leaves the EU without a ‘deal’ prior to 31 October 2019, then the passport-related advice on the link I provided above will (presumably) apply from the revised leaving date. But it’s highly unlikely (about as much chance as me becoming Pope) that there will be an ‘instant’ no-deal exit with minimal warning beforehand.

Government advice regarding international driving permits (IDPs) and Brexit is provided here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit#driving-licences-and-international-driving-permits

with the same 31 October, 2019 deadline-date being referred to.

My experience of obtaining an IDP at a local Post Office was that it was quick and easy. So if it looks like you MIGHT need one (or two!) when you are abroad, getting an IDP shortly before leaving the UK should not present any great difficulty.

Thanks Derek, your advice matches Comfort Insurance as I have just telephoned them and asked for a Green Card and Laura advised that I do not need one before 31st October as the Certificate of Insurance acts as a Green Card until then,

I think I have been worrying too much and will just go with the usual documents, as had been said, they can only deport me :-D :-D

Can I also say that after 11 years of motorhoming I have only recently joined this site. I have had unfortunate experiences on other sites and am delighted with the friendly and courteous help that I have received. Many thanks.

David

• 4 weeks later...

My mate arrived at Dover last week with the wrong passport for his wife, after a long conversation and showing her driving licence and quoting the passport number. (As they had completed the API) she was allowed to travel, and information prepared for her return, which was time consuming and nerve wracking.

But things may change

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

• 1 month later...
All the leisure magazines including MMM sat on the fence before the referendum. Meanwhile the electorate has been lied to constantly. Now all the negatives are emerging and we need to voice our opinions based on the evidence before us. One thing is certain is that no one voted for what it looks like we are going to get.

644322761_dontblameme.jpg.8d6eda661ecd181c10129c30764afa83.jpg

.....err, a strange comment.

It's the brexit vote that's causing the problems, not the other way around

If we'd not been lied to and decided to remain, none of this would have happened, why are brexiteers so afraid of a people's vote on what has (or hasn't been decided?

In my extensive experience of travelling, anywhere, in general whatever the circumstances are if you have 6 months validity or more on any passport there's no questions asked on entry.

Whatever happens on prior or after 31 Oct, there is very likely to be a "grace period" on a lot of things IMHO nothing will be revoked at midnight on the same day.So what's likely to happen?, you will be given sufficient notice, and as someone said what's the worst that could happen, you'll be deported? like they know where you'll be and they will send someone round. Stop worrying and enjoy your stay in France

"Nobody is compelled to accept the result of a non-legally binding advisory referendum"

.… the result of which the government promised to accept, that promise being ratified by a large majority in a Commons vote.

I really don't want to get into another pointless argument where neither side will accept the other's views, but felt compelled to finish your sentence.

This thread, originally about what passport requirements, is turning into a Chatterbox-style spat about something else. Could a Moderator please freeze it now?

As far as we know at present, a British passport with at least 6 months before expiry will ordinarily be OK to get into Europe after Brexit, even if it has "European Union" on it.

StuartO - 2019-08-10 12:27 PM

This thread, originally about what passport requirements, is turning into a Chatterbox-style spat about something else. Could a Moderator please freeze it now?

As far as we know at present, a British passport with at least 6 months before expiry will ordinarily be OK to get into Europe after Brexit, even if it has "European Union" on it.

Done!!!

Archived