Passport renewal shocker!!!

Keithl

This warning affects anyone travelling with a 'soon to expire' passport.

Be warned!!! The Government has just changed the rules on passport renewals without notifying anyone!

The Gov.UK website used to state, quote from August 21st 2018:

"2. Renew

You can renew your passport at any time. When you renew your passport, time left on your existing passport is added to your new one, up to a maximum of 9 months"

BUT... That entire paragraph has now been removed! Quote from today:

"Renew

If your passport’s expired, you must renew it before you can travel. You can renew your passport at any time.

If your passport will expire soon you might need to renew it before travelling. Check the entry requirements of the countries you’re visiting before booking travel.

You must replace your passport if it’s been lost, stolen or damaged rather than renew it."

No mention of the carrying over for up to nine months! So any remaining time will be lost!

But of course many countries require a minimum of, say, six months to allow entry so in this case you have to apply early and consequently will lose that time!

Info taken from MSE...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/passport-applicants-hit-out-after-being-given-shorter-than-expec/

Keith.

It's possibly linked to the expectation that next March when we leave the eu we will be expected to have six months on our passport as a foreign country. Expect a lot of last minute changes.

(The Daily Mail complained today that one of the consequences of leaving the eu was that we wouldn't have the privileges of being a eu citizen! Doh!)

I venture to suggest that Brexit is a smokescreen hiding stealth tax government money making.

Just as when you change cars you often end up taxing both new and old for a month as a stealth tax revenue raiser, so too it seems with a passport the loss of unexpired time makes the new passport a shorter duration.

Not much per person per passport but It must add up to a lot of revenue over millions of people over lots of years.

Tracker - 2018-09-12 10:08 PM

I venture to suggest that Brexit is a smokescreen hiding stealth tax government money making.

Just as when you change cars you often end up taxing both new and old for a month as a stealth tax revenue raiser, .

This happened to me to-day! Changed the ownership of car from OH to me. Had to renew tax . All of £20.00

I would not mind but I paid for the tax in the first place, so will get the money back on the same CCard, that i paid for both of them So I have ended up paying extra £1.66 , hardly worth the bather.

Progress. And I miss the tax disc on the windscreen!!

PJay

Hi,

It doesn't matter who you vote for ... the Government always get in. Every Government needs to raise taxes, they just do it in different ways. Then they talk about paying our FAIR share. To my mind, a fair share should be calculated by dividing the revenue required by the number of tax payers, and we all pay that ammount.. I bet that idea goes down like a lead balloon.

How many of you resisted having an identity card? Too late now, but a French ID card costs about €20, and is equivalent to a passport in all the EU states.But us Brits have to pay for an all singing, all dancing passport that is acceptable to the Yanks, who most of us will never visit.

I wonder what US citizens pay for a passport?

It's the same when you renew your driving licence at 70, the new one runs from the date of issue, not your birthday. So if you return the form when it arrives, you lose three months!

(By the way, I was mistaken, the eu will expect you to have three months on your passport post brexit, not six)

Randonneur - 2018-09-13 9:47 AM

You dont lose anything after your 70 the renewal licence is free..I would like to thank the DVLA for their quick service as I applied for my renwal driving licence on line on Monday this week and recieved the licence in the post yesterday.

I second that, although it did take them 8 months to decide I am fit to drive following my reporting of medical and sight 'incidents' to them, but then to be fair I was allowed to drive whilst they contemplated!

But then again supposing I had eventually been deemed unfit to drive, that would have been 8 months of legal but unfitness to drive posing a theoretical risk to everyone else? There must be a better way?

Billggski - 2018-09-13 3:47 PM

Just to be pedantic, I didn't say you lose money, but the length of your licence is reduced each time you renew. After three renewals you could be applying a year earlier!

(But it won't be valid in the eu anyway after brexit)

Well I have 4 renewals, and actualy got and extra 4 days added to mine. all returned very quick, and I have to have health check, each time.

PJay

To add to your comment, Should you have children with a Surname different to the mother's Surname or yours, you'll need to take their birth certs,, We had to fly out a week ago and this rule came in a week before we left,, mass panic event while these were obtained,,

"But it won't be valid in the eu anyway after Brexit"

I don't see why not. I used to drive in Europe before we joined the EU and never had anything other than a standard UK driving licence.

Obviously not read the news!

International driving licence needed, £5.50 for 12 months.

<<< It's the same when you renew your driving licence at 70, the new one runs from the date of issue, not your birthday. >>>

Hi,

My wife recieved a driving licence reminder, with a demand for the cost of replacing her photo-card, TWO months before her 70th. (Photocards expire after 10 years, the date is on your licence. £1.000 potential fine if you do not renew ... or surrender it. Doing nothing is not an option).

She wrote back, saying that she could apply for a new licence THREE months before the expiry of her old one,

They sent her a free licence. I suspect that they miight have been confused, as she retained her C and D entitlements until her next renewal, three years after she turned 70 ... not that she ever driven any such vehicle.

PAJay - 2018-09-12 11:56 PM

Just as when you change cars you often end up taxing both new and old for a month as a stealth tax revenue raiser, .

This happened to me to-day! Changed the ownership of car from OH to me. Had to renew tax . All of £20.00

I would not mind but I paid for the tax in the first place, so will get the money back on the same CCard, that i paid for both of them So I have ended up paying extra £1.66 , hardly worth the bather.

PJay

That would hardly buy you a bag of chips!

Billggski - 2018-09-13 8:47 PM

I don't see why not. I used to drive in Europe before we joined the EU and never had anything other than a standard UK driving licence.

I have, but I'm not taken in by scaremongering and speculation, particularly when it conflicts with my own experience.

aandy - 2018-09-14 9:13 AM

I have, but I'm not taken in by scaremongering and speculation, particularly when it conflicts with my own experience.

Pray share your Post-Brexit experience. I’d love to know what it’s like. By the way, is the pound still at parity with the Euro? B-)

My hubby and I have driven in Canada, USA, New Zealand and Australia on our UK Driving Licence, why would it be any different driving in Europe on it after Brexit? It's probably a scaremongering tactic. We have never held International Driving Licences.

starvin marvin - 2018-09-14 9:12 AM

PAJay - 2018-09-12 11:56 PM

PJay

That would hardly buy you a bag of chips!

i guess not. How much are chips these days?

PJay

Cidered - 2018-09-15 9:56 AM

aandy - 2018-09-14 9:13 AM

Pray share your Post-Brexit experience. I’d love to know what it’s like. By the way, is the pound still at parity with the Euro? B-)

Not being in possession of a functioning time machine I don't have post Brexit experience. I do, however, have experience of driving in mainland Europe while the UK was not part of the EU, at which time an ordinary UK licence was sufficient. That experience, along with the knowledge that numerous countries recognise each other's driving licences, leads me to regard such claims with a degree of skepticism.

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself more clearly, but I thought it blindingly obvious from my initial post, particularly the bit where I said "I used to drive in Europe before we joined the EU...".

And no, the pound is not at parity with the euro (currently 1:1.12), and as far as I can recall it never has been.

Archived