Peugeot Boxer Alloy wheels

myshell

I have 15 inch alloy wheels (215-70-R15) on my Autocruise Motorhome, could anyone please give me a definitive answer as to the correct torque setting for the wheel bolts ? all the info I can find is for steel wheels.

Regards

Phil

If you are referring to a Pioneer “Renoir” model, then the torque-setting for appropriate STEEL 15”-diameter wheels would be 160Nm.

Presumably the same-diameter M14 wheel-bolts would have been used when alloy wheels were fitted instead of the standard steel ones and, consequently, the same 160Nm torque should apply.

Derek thanks very much for that info, you are correct it is for a Pioneer Renoir with M14 wheel bolts, but I was unsure if the same torque settings applied to alloy wheels as to steel wheels.

Thank you

Phil

It is sometimes the case when a vehicle is marketed with steel wheels as standard, and alloy wheels as an option, that the torque-setting recommended by the vehicle manufacturer is different for each wheel-type. The Continental webpage in the link below lists wheel-bolt/nut torque-settings for various cars and. although generally a car’s bolt/nut torque-setting is the same for both steel and alloy wheels, there are occasional exceptions.

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/1080706/71cfb5154e939befc74980e98145e9a3/download-torque-settings-data.pdf

Alloy wheels were discussed in this July 2017 forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Alloy-Wheels/47480/

where it was mentioned that the wheel-bolts used with alloy wheels could differ from the bolts appropriate for steel wheels. I note that in that thread you said that your Pioneer Renoir has “Peugeot factory fitted alloys” (and all on-line images of Renoirs show the same design of alloy wheel) and that when you swapped your motorhome’s wheel around "the final task is to tighten all the bolts up to the correct torque (160 Nm / 118 ft lbs)”.

As you stated in 2017 that 160Nm was the correct torque-setting for your Renoir’s wheel-bolts, I’m not sure why you’d want to revisit this now, but if its alloy wheels are genuine Peugeot parts and you want a definitive answer regarding the the wheel-bolt torque-setting, you really need to ask Peugeot.

160Nm is the figure generally quoted for standard Boxer/Ducato 15” steel wheels but (as far as I’m aware) the 160Nm figure does not appear in Owner Handbooks for those vehicles. I’ve not encountered anything to suggest a different torque-setting should be employed when those vehicles have factory-fitted alloy wheels (or alternative retro-fitted alloy wheels for that matter) but that doesn’t 100% guarantee that 160Nm is ‘right’ for your Renoir’s wheels.

You’ve owned your Renoir for a number of years and (presumably) torqued its wheel-bolts to 160Nm during that time without this causing any problems. Working on that basis, there’s no obvious incentive to change the setting, but you might want to check with Peugeot. Good luck with that, as I had a hard time when I asked Fiat about wheel-bolt torque-setting

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-X290-wheel-bolt-torque/38394/

Archived