Peugeot Boxer Wipers

Shady

Need some new wipers for 2006 Boxer Compass. Current ones seem odd in that on the drivers side it seems to be a couple of inches shorter than required, ie it clears just below the driver eye level. I'm Mr average (5'8" in real money). Is there a sage out there who can point me in the right direction - rewards in Heaven:-)

Guest Tracker

Hi Shady and welcome to the madhouse. This is a regular problem with Boxer wipers and raised swivelled seat bases.

Take the old ones off and go into Halfords or similar and check on the charts what the right size is and compare yours with theirs and then buy the right size.

If you have seat base swivels you may find that longer wipers help clear more screen and can help you to avoid bending to see out of the wiped area.

It is easy enough to measure the length of your existing wipers from pivot to each tip and by a process of comparitive elimination seek out slightly longer blades to cover more of the top of the windscreen if it is left unwiped and you need it wiped.

Another alternative is to get lowered seat bases (which is what we have done - but ours were free courtesy of Marquis!) so that you can see out of the part of the windscreen that Mr Sevel intended you to!

This website offers a variety of wiper blades and the standard size for a 1994-2006 Boxer seems to be a nominal 22" for both driver and passenger wipers (the current model Boxer has different blade lengths):

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/peugeot-boxer-years-1994-to-2006-wiper-blades/

I use conventional Bosch wiper blades on my Transit-based Hobby (different length blades being required for driver and passenger sides). I'm satisfied enough with them, but other people have different views. I bought them from Halfords because I needed them in a hurry, but I wasn't much taken by Halfords' prices.

My experience regarding wiper blades is that you tend to get what you pay for and inspection of bargain-price blades is likely to reveal why they are cheap. Obtaining premium-branded blades at a discounted price will normally be a better bet than buying 'cheapo' full-price blades made by an unknown manufacturer.

These are links to some Auto-Express wiper-blade reviews:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/257041/flat_wiper_blades_tested.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/255886/wiper_blades_tested.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/228342/wiper_blades.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/215220/wiper_blade_test.html

The passenger side wiper on my 2001 Boxer was too short for my wife so I bought a wiper blade that was two inches longer than supplied with the van. This does give a slightly more useful wipe but overall the wiper pattern for the passenger is poor. The blade does wipe over the rubber seal in the rest position but this hasn't caused any difficulty in the several years since I started to use a longer blade. My driver side blade is the standard length and gives a useful wipe.

My own view is that the overall wipe pattern is poor. Raising the seating with swivels isn't the problem as there are no standard body lengths/ heights for us motorcaravanners. (lol)

When down in Devon I buy blades at Trago Mills. They are 'Wipac' brand and cheap: about £1.50 to £2.50 per blade depending on size.

I also buy blades from Wilkinsons ( the new Woolworths :-D ) They are similarly priced. Both work well: I have been using them on cars and motorhome for several years,

A tip: when your vehicle is parked up for extended periods or even medium periods, wedge something under the arms to lift the blades off the screen. If you have loadsamoney like I do ( mainly due to my parsimonious attitude to wiper blade purchasing ) use champagne corks or if not ordinary wine corks will do. Those wine bottle screw caps are rather inefective though and shouldn't be considered.

Preventing the blades resting unused on the screen for long periods prevents them sticking and so becoming damaged when used and also prevents them 'setting' at an angle and so not 'flip flopping' in use.

I hope that helps ............... :-D

Harvey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tracker

I've tried all sorts of blades over the years and for quietness, durability, longevity and a jolly good wipe I prefer Bosch blades.

So what if they cost a bit more I don't care because as they last so much longer it's hard to tell whether cheap blades are really cheap in the long run - or is that the long wipe?

fairweather camper - 2012-01-12 11:06 AM

Hi, I have wipers with washer bits stuck on them, and because they look awkward to replace (after all I am a mere woman), I just bought the rubber refills and fitted them, very easy, quick and cheap, 5 refills for about £6, have had them on for 2 years now and been very pleased with them. :-) :-D

OK if you have wiper blades that will accept refills, but many won't - and it's certainly grieving to have to replace the complete blade when it's plain that it's only the rubber bit that's at fault.

(A general point. If a motorhome has 'left-hand-drive' windscreen wipers, then there's a need to ensure when replacing the blades that the replacements are the 'universal' type. Any traditional-style blade marketed in the UK that has a permanently attached 'spoiler' will be unsuitable for LHD-pattern wipers as the spoiler will be on the wrong side of the blade. Similarly, many of the single-piece 'flat' wiper blades that are becoming increasingly common are designed in RHD or LHD formats. A RHD-design flat blade will produce aerodynamic downforce when fitted to a RHD vehicle, but would (potentially) produce lift when fitted to a LHD vehicle.)

• 1 month later...

Of possible interest...

I decided to obtain some new windscreen-wiper blades for my 2005 Ford Transit-based motorhome. As the vehicle is LHD it was questionable whether the modern single-piece 'flat' blades marketed in the UK would be suitable. The traditional-style Bosch blades already on the vehicle had been effective so I chose to get identical replacements.

I purchased the new blades via the following website:

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

and the total cost for a 24" blade and a 28" one was £12.66 including VAT and delivery. I ordered the blades early on 14/2/2012 and received them the following day.

(I can't guarantee that this is the cheapest UK retail source for Bosch wiper blades, but it was the cheapest I could find on-line.)

I too used refill blades for my cars for a long time. I found that they used to last much longer than ready made replacement wiper assemblies.

For anyone contemplating buying a Renault, the Renault original parts for the wipers (front and rear) do not last 5 minutes and are extremely expensive. I would think this will be the same for other makes too.

I place spacers under the van wiper arms and also on the car if a hard frost is forecast.

Always used to use Bosch blades but realised that the ones from Wilkinsons were virtually identical, only difference being that they had not got Bosch stamped on them, and at less than a third of the price I have used them since, very good blades. They are only suitable for the 'universal' type blade replacement not for model specific types so for the one vehicle that I need specific types for I use,

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/

good blades, choice of type and quality, come through the post next day, only downside is you have to pay postage but that can be offset if you buy more than one blade so works out cheaper than most locals, except for Wilkinsons of course B-) B-) !!

Bas

Archived