Peugeot

Pete-B

Hi,

Has anyone tried, or thought of buying, one of the Peugeot 3 wheel motorbikes which I gather can be ridden on your car licence. We normally take our bikes with us when we go away but there are times when I feel a bit of motorised power would be handy and the old duchess doesn't fancy a lecky bike.

I used to ride motorbikes and passed my test whilst serving in the army but somehow or other between DVLA and the army my motorbike category became a roadroller and no amount of protest from me did any good.

This 2011 forum thread discussed ‘3-wheelers’

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/This-may-be-of-interest/25565/

You’d need to confirm that the specific 3-wheeler you’d be interested in can legally be driven on just a “B” car licence.

In the 2011 thread I said that (to be driven on a “B” car licence) the criteria were that the ‘trike’ needed to have its front wheels more than 460mm apart and weigh less than 550kg, but I don’t know if that’s still true. If the distance between the front wheels is still relevant, you might find that only more powerful 3-wheelers are “B"-licence-legal.

It’s stating the obvious, but (unless your motorhome has a large ‘garage’ with a sturdy floor) a 3-wheeler trike is likely to involve using a trailer rather than carrying it on a platform/rack attached to the rear of the motorhome.

Their website say's they can be ridden/driven on a cat B licence and yes I would need to build/buy or covert a trailer to carry one. I don't fancy pulling a tow car with A frame plus the Spanish laws and some other countries are not clear as to the legality on these.

I appreciate we wouldn't get the weather protection that a car gives but on the other hand, what's better than riding a bike on a nice sunny day.

I've just read Chris Evans article about when he had one to trial for a week for his Daily Mail supplement and was so impressed he bought one.

Guess I'll just have to find a dealer and try one out!

I note that Peugeot just offers the Metropolis 400i 3-wheel scooter. This is a hefty trike and - with a 400cc motor - fairly powerful, and (as you’ve said) can be driven on a “B” licence.

This 2013 review of the model is perhaps more focused than Chris Evans’s article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/peugeot/10476252/Peugeot-Metropolis-400i-review.html

(The combination of Chris Evans and the Daily Mail wouldn’t enthuse me to buy anything!!)

3-wheel scooters are marketed by other manufacturers (eg. Piaggio and Yamaha) but not all can be ridden legally on a “B” licence

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/content/yamaha-tricity-review-three-wheeler-2014

Archived