Plastic Shower Tray

ramsay

I had a crack in mine and the first thing to do is to drill a small hole at either end of the crack and this will help it to stop it spliting more.

I used Gorilla epoxy resin . I wedged the crack open slightly and used emery cloth to clean the split then pushed in as much epoxy as I could get in before releasing the wedge, and so far so good.

Mike

Re both this & all others before, may I reflect upon our experience way back in the year 2000 where our 'Swift Royale Ensign 601 SE' had developed a crack in the floor of the shower tray. This was attended to by the local Marquis branch in that they received a new floor tray under Swift's Guarantee and proceeded to fit same, a long and complex task involving removal of most of the wall & fittings within the Bathroom... Upon my collection and inspection of the repaired task, I noted the new floor had far more flexing than had been present prior to the repair. Even hand pressure produced approx. 2cm of flexing, so it was obvious the 'New Replacement' would follow the same path !

When this was brought to the service managers attention the comment was 'They all do that, we can only re fit what we are sent'. As the MH was soon to be 'Out of Warranty' and to avoid what was going to be a repeat episode. After some research, found and spoke to the Mftg. source of the Shower Tray, who where sympathetic in that, and I quote " yes we are aware of this type of problem developing, BUT we can only Mfgt to Swift's Spec. & Cost requirements"... After some serious thoughts, (and further conversation with the 'Tray Mfgt' re compatibility) - I fully cured the flexing problem in my application of 'Expanding Foam', injected via a couple of carefully located holes drilled (from underneath !) through the timber floor, (then wood dowel glue plugged). A 'house brick' being placed upon the Shower Tray floor to avoid excessive 'up lift'... This simple cure proved to be permanent with no further problem during our following 9 years of ownership (ie:- No Flexing = No Cracking !)... Note:- Swift must have learned, as our 2009 E695 Bessie (now into its 11th year with us) hasn't / never had any Shower Tray problems !..

Take Care All.

Mine cracked a year ago, had it repaired by dealer under warranty. It's now cracked again, in a different area.

The van is only 6 years old, but the shower tray seems too brittle to withstand much flexing. I am now having it "Speedcoated", which I am assured will extend it's life indefinitely.

Google Speedcoat if you don't already know about it.

This 2019 MHFun thread may be of interest

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/shower-tray-fix-speedcoat.201113/

As has been touched on above, unless a plastic shower-tray is adequately supported from beneath, cracking is pretty much inevitable given the thinness of the material commonly employed.

Ramsay’s motorhome is 2003-vintage and obtained quite recently. Sourcing a replacement tray off-the-shelf may be impossible nowadays, so the first step is (as Ramsays says) to make the tray watertight now so that the shower can be used and then decide later how best to proceed,

Archived