Polishers

Pete-B

Her in the kitchen - she refers to me as him in the shed - has said she will buy me an electric polisher for the van for Christmas.

Can anyone recommend a fairly decent one which will do the job but doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks for any help.

We use Eastern Europeans. Do a very good job using polish we supply. We leave the van or car with them have a look round the garden centre and a coffee while the do the job. With about six of them working like maniacs at once they do a very good full valet for a very reasonable price. If you want it done at a weekend they are in such demand you have to book a slot! You've got to admire their enterpricse and chearfull enthusiasum.

Colin Leake - 2016-11-28 7:15 PM

We use Eastern Europeans. Do a very good job using polish we supply. We leave the van or car with them have a look round the garden centre and a coffee while the do the job. With about six of them working like maniacs at once they do a very good full valet for a very reasonable price. If you want it done at a weekend they are in such demand you have to book a slot! You've got to admire their enterpricse and chearfull enthusiasum.

And their total lack of knowledge of how delicate motorhomes are, believe me I have seen some horrors

My kids bought me a two handed orbital polisher for my birthday. I went at the van with great enthusiasm. it did not last for long though as I realised I was polishing the colour out of the of the side stripes, so I gave up on it, put in the garage and never bothered with it again.

So be carful how you use it. Hand polishing is hard work but at least you cant do much damage.

Cliffy - 2016-11-30 9:09 PM

My kids bought me a two handed orbital polisher for my birthday. I went at the van with great enthusiasm. it did not last for long though as I realised I was polishing the colour out of the of the side stripes, so I gave up on it, put in the garage and never bothered with it again.

So be carful hoiw you use it. Hand polishing is hard work but at least you cant do much damage.

I have to agree,I have seen some really bad damage caused by inexperienced use of a polisher. If you want to use one get an old car panel to practise on and when confident keep away from the graphics on your van

Slightly off-topic but what polish is best for hand polishing?

I am aware that a polish is intended to smooth out the imperfections in the paint surface before applying a wax such as Collinite.

A polish contains an abrasive element. I assume that if you use a rotary polisher you need to use a less abrasive polish. But, if you hand-polish then perhaps a more abrasive polish would be beneficial.

I have an old container of MER polish but perhaps there are better products on the market these days.

A lot of cleaning products seem to be a combined polish/wax. I just want a plain polish and will apply the wax afterwards.

Any views would be most welcome.

fjmike - 2016-11-28 7:19 PM

Colin Leake - 2016-11-28 7:15 PM

And their total lack of knowledge of how delicate motorhomes are, believe me I have seen some horrors

Admittedly we have a more robust PVC and always remind them not to use the pressure washer anywhere near the vents but they've always done a very good job for us even washing the roof off using a mobile platform they have.

Archived