Portable freezer?

weldted

Hi all just after your thoughts, we have a Burstner Iexo with the garage under the rear bed. Have been thinking of possibly getting a portable freezer as although a new van the freezer compartment is really small as in next to useless. We will eventually have 440 watts of solar and 200 amps of lithium batteries. As we hopefully will be able to resume our wild camping abroad where and when permitted. One of the concerns is how much noise from the unit as it will be right under my head at night.

Hi.we have a 6m PVC and have been using a freezer box, on and off, for some years.

Our old one was 12v only, didn’t notice the noise.

Useful for more remote trips, eg Scandinavia, Where we want to carry more food.

We don’t tend to wild camp for more than two nights without visiting a campsite and the batteries coped fine (no solar panel) but we only really use batteries for lights and pump and charging iPads.

Old freezer died last year so have a new modern one, both 12v and mains. Seems very quiet on test but no opportunity to use in anger yet.

You need to leave space for heat to escape so can’t pack stuff around it.

Peter

weldted - 2020-05-30 11:14 AM

Hi all just after your thoughts, we have a Burstner Iexo with the garage under the rear bed. Have been thinking of possibly getting a portable freezer as although a new van the freezer compartment is really small as in next to useless. We will eventually have 440 watts of solar and 200 amps of lithium batteries. As we hopefully will be able to resume our wild camping abroad where and when permitted. One of the concerns is how much noise from the unit as it will be right under my head at night.

I’ve got the Dometic CFX fridge/ freezer ( not twin , either one or the other ) and I’ve been using it at home as an extra freezer during covid and it’s been outstandingly good , quiet and efficient, would highly recommend.

The point about heat dissipation is well made. If the garage is well vented then I don’t foresee an issue as long as the air is free to circulate around the freezer. However, if the garage is not vented, in a well insulated motorhome it’s going to become toasty in the garage, the freezer will struggle to maintain temperature and you’ll use a lot more electrical power than needed.

When we were in Benicàssim last summer we used it outside as a drinks and salad fridge and it was outstanding in v extreme temps , kept it in the shade as much as poss and kept a supermarket bag of ice in there as well for insurance , bonus was that we had ice on demand without using up freezer space as the ice hardly melted , every couple of days had to mop the bottom of fridge due to a bit of condensation water , nothing too extreme tho .

Archived