Portugal trip last stages...........Castrojeriz....wow!

snowie

At this stage on a trip like this I normally enter "get me home " mode, not very enthusiastic and ready for a haircut.

This trip is different;

After snow yesterday in Salamanca; what a city!

Woke up today to reasonable weather.

Left Don Quijote and headed north to a site at Castrojeriz just west of Burgos.

Nice little site on edge of village.

Not sure what the village does these days apart from pilgrims accommodation , it's on the route to Santiago da C'"..

Dates from 940ish, is almost restored and is amazing.

Has a website. Worth a look on way south or north, and a few more people would make it even better. Campsite is Acsi and €17 per night

Have a look,

Regards

Alan b

starvin marvin - 2017-03-25 9:36 AMI'm going to be walking through there soon. I start my pilgrimage walk at St Jean Pied de Port towards the end of May.Got to get some serious training done, and keep on my weight loss programme and running schedule. Hope to take 5 weeks for the 500 miles.

Is this just a penance for being stroppy on here occassionally or have you done something really naughty in your earlier life? :)

StuartO - 2017-03-26 11:01 AM
starvin marvin - 2017-03-25 9:36 AMI'm going to be walking through there soon. I start my pilgrimage walk at St Jean Pied de Port towards the end of May.Got to get some serious training done, and keep on my weight loss programme and running schedule. Hope to take 5 weeks for the 500 miles.

Is this just a penance for being stroppy on here occassionally or have you done something really naughty in your earlier life? :)

I can allay your heartfelt concerns. Something I've been interested in for years, and walked bits of in the past. I'm not doing it for religious or spiritual reasons. Not surprisingly I don't have a religious belief, just fancy a long demanding walk.

We were at Castrojerez last week, agree its a wow stop and the campsite is great (although the showers take some working out! )

The convent on the edge of the village, Santa Clara's worth a quick stop, the nuns sell wonderful cakes and cookies - you don't see anyone the transaction takes place on a spinning shelf 8-) :-D

We are not long distance walkers, mainly due to age related arthritic issues, but we could see this site as a base for a few walks and "da d" does bird of prey outings from the site.

Agree, showers and cold shaves a bit basic, but it's camping after all, and in spring and summer no problem.

Convent and spinning thing sounds interesting!

Regards

Alan b

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2017-03-26 3:08 PM

I can allay your heartfelt concerns. Something I've been interested in for years, and walked bits of in the past. I'm not doing it for religious or spiritual reasons. Not surprisingly I don't have a religious belief, just fancy a long demanding walk.
Blimey are those pilgrims in for a shock :D .......

pelmetman - 2017-03-26 8:14 PM
starvin marvin - 2017-03-26 3:08 PM

Blimey are those pilgrims in for a shock :D .......
I'm hoping to meet one or two UKIPers along the way, should be fun. Blood sports are legal in Spain, and sometimes the bull wins, but only temporarily. Seriously I'm looking forward to it, so I'll probably break an ankle on the 2nd day, and the pilgrims will have a let off!

Good for you Marvin, I hope it goes well.  We met a very healthy (and pleasant) 60 yr old lady who was cycling from UK to Santiago, mostly camping with the tent she carried and cooking for herself,  when we were in France last year and followed her Blog thereafter - she made it and then carried on to Gibraltar.  She was taking a "year off" break to sort herself out in some way.  (We made her a bacon sandwich for breakfast on the day she moved on from our camp site in the Loire and we'd do the same for you!)

Archived