Posting Photos?

ron.

First you need to make sure the photo is smaller than 100kb, then when writing a reply, look just below the dialog box (just above 'submit' button) and you need to tick box 'attach file after posting', you will then be presented with a page which allows you to choose and submit photo.

Another method is to post your written message, then click on edit, so your message can be changed, and click on the ' attachment ' box in lower left hand corner ( if I remember rightly ).

Then re - submit the complete package.

;-)

Are you sure that you have resized the photos to less than 100k bytes..

make sure the pics are in a directory on their own, and no bigger pic is in the same directory.

make sure you are chosing the correct directory name and picname..typing error.?

Dont try adding 2 pics at same time as they collectively might be over 100k limit..

tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-04-12 9:54 PM

Are you sure that you have resized the photos to less than 100k bytes..

make sure the pics are in a directory on their own, and no bigger pic is in the same directory.

make sure you are chosing the correct directory name and picname..typing error.?

Dont try adding 2 pics at same time as they collectively might be over 100k limit..

tonyg3nwl.

Thanks Tony but it's all sorted. Once I realised that you had to submit your post first and then the photo, rather than both together, it was all fair sailing.

Ron

• 4 years later...
ron. - 2015-04-12 10:35 PM

...Once I realised that you had to submit your post first and then the photo, rather than both together, it was all fair sailing.

Ron

Ron,

If you check the box 'Attach a file after posting' at the bottom of your posting it will then open the editor to select your photos and continue in one action.

Keith.

ron. - 2015-04-12 10:35 PM

...Once I realised that you had to submit your post first and then the photo, rather than both together, it was all fair sailing.

Ron

Ron,

If you check the box 'Attach a file after posting' at the bottom of your reply before submitting it will then open the 'Attach a file' window to select your photos and continue in one action. You can then click 'Return to thread' to get back to the thread.

Keith.

Attaching a file to a posting is a 2-stage procedure as far as the forum’s software is concerned.

The initial stage is a check by the forum’s software that the size of the file to be attached is no larger than 100kb. It doesn’t matter what type of file it is - as long as it is no larger than 100kb attachment should take place. Conversely, if the 100kb limit is exceeded attachment will be unsuccessful and an (unhelpful) error message may appear.

If the file-size does not exceed 100kb, what happens next depends on the forum’s software and the type of file that is being attached.

If a file has a .jpg extension (eg. photo.jpg) the image should be permanently visible on the posting.

If a file has a .jpeg extension (eg. photo.jpeg) just the name of the file will be shown at the foot of the posting. If a forum-member then clicks on the file-name, the member’s own device (PC, Mac, tablet, etc.) will attempt to handle it and the image will normally become visible.

It is possible to attach other file-types provided that the file-size is no larger than 100kb (for example I’ve attached to this posting a file with a .gif extension) but there’s no certainty how the forum’s software will react.

It has also been reported in the past that a few forum-members have had problems viewing files that have been attached to postings. Such problems don’t seem to be related to the forum’s software as such, but to the particular combination of software that the forum-member is using (say a specific version of Windows and/or internet browser).

(It perhaps needs saying that, when the O&AL forums were created in 2004, people were generally accessing them via ‘desk top’ computers, not via phones or tablets, and the way the elderly software functions tends to reflect this.)

beetle.gif.e3fc0b94f197be9d7102dae355820a72.gif

Derek Uzzell - 2019-07-07 7:52 AM

(It perhaps needs saying that, when the O&AL forums were created in 2004, people were generally accessing them via ‘desk top’ computers, not via phones or tablets, and the way the elderly software functions tends to reflect this.)

May I add that some of the elderly contributors now use use laptops instead.

Alan

I only have a Laptop.

AND … would never entertain owning a smart phone or any other digital device.

From what I see of the digital world 'it' has only one aim … to fleece you of money by persuading you the holder to conform to the hundreds of adverts and offers.

Make no mistake I view the whole system as corrupt and an open market to steal from its users.

Alanb - 2019-07-07 9:02 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2019-07-07 7:52 AM

May I add that some of the elderly contributors now use use laptops instead.

Alan

You’ll note that I deliberately put quotation marks around “desk top”.

In the late-1980s I was trialling laptop usage for the organisation I was working for, but these devices had very limited battery life and no internet capability.

The basic procedure for attaching a file to a forum posting is as follows:

1: Type the posting’s text into the Message box.

2: Tick the box titled "Attach a file after posting”.

3: Click the posting’s SUBMIT button.

An “Attach a file” box should now appear, When it does

4: Click on the “Choose File” button.

The response to clicking on the “Choose File” button will depend on the device you are using - I use an Apple iMac desk-top computer and an Apple iPad and the response of the former differs from that of the latter as their file management systems differ. But however your device (PC, Mac, tablet, phone) responds, you’ll need to identify and choose the file you want to attach. The file-name should now appear alongside the “Choose File” button. When it does

5: Click on the “Submit” button.

If the file you are trying to attach has a format that the forum’s software can handle, a message (in red) “Upload successful” should appear, plus information showing the name of the file and its size.

6: Now click on "Return to the thread” in the “Actions” box to complete the process. (If you want to attach several files, repeat actions 4 and 5 as necessary, and then click on "Return to the thread”.)

......................................................................................................................................

If I attempt to attach a fairly large file I may get the following error message

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forums/includes/include-upload.asp, line 51

However, if the file is really large, the attachment process sometimes seems to fail with no error message and with “no file selected” appearing alongside the “Choose File” button.

The critical thing is to ensure that the size of the file being attached does not exceed 100KB.

• 11 months later...

As I said above (almost a year ago)

16 years ago ‘office systems’ had a relatively small amount of available data storage, so it should be no surprise that the size of an attachment to a forum posting was set to a 100KB maximum. Since the O&AL forums were created, I’m aware of a significantt Warners hardware upgrade a few years ago when the forums were staggering badly, but (to the best of my knowledge) there are no plans to replace the present forum software (that is not maintained in-house) or increase the attachment 100KB file-size. (For what it’s worth, forum Moderators can attach files up to 200KB in size.)

If files are being hosted elsewhere (like your album of photos) there will be no storage ‘load’ on the Warners system and a link can be provided to the images instead of using the forum’s own attaching method. That has always been so and I recall Photobucket being popular for photo storage and sharing.

In the Forum User Guide (towards the top of the main forum webpage) in the Forum FAQ section I have included step-by-step guidance on “Uploading a file or image”, but I can’t alter the software itself.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Code-of-Conduct-and-User-Guidelines/Forum-User-Guide/Forums-FAQ/3930/

Many forum members seem able to post an image ’essential’ to a discussion easily, and most people can do it with a little help.

The O&AL forums are like elderly Dormobile campervans - they are usable, have some value, but are not particularly pleasant to drive.

Archived