Power failure

Sunlight 59

I have a 2009 Sunlight on a Transit and it sometimes loses the 12 volt power, on recommendation I have changed the Shaudt ebl99 power pack and both batteries, I have changed the solar regulator for a Shaudt unit and I have tested the continuity of the cable to the switch unit but it still keeps happening sometimes not resetting for hour's. Help

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

The usual cause is the 2a fuse next to big Red 50A fuse by the habitation battery.

On Fiats there is one pair next to the Starter battery and another next to the habitation battery.

On the Transit you may find 2 pairs of fuses (2a and 50a or something like that as they sometimes get swapped for different sizes) in a similar location next to the Starter battery. However, one pair is for the Starter battery and one pair for the habitation battery.

Suggest that you replace both 2amp fuses as they deteriorate/corrode with age.

If that doesn't fix it, have a look at the connector Block 2 and check that pin 5 and pin 2 are making good contact.

Hello, no they are part of the battery sense circuitry.

The EBL uses a separate 12v feed direct from the battery, therefore less likely hood of voltage drop etc, to monitor the batteries voltage.

If the fuse in this line becomes corroded it causes higher resistance and the EBL 'sees' a reduced voltage, sometimes so low it thinks the battery is dying and shuts down.

Strongly suggest you don't add any other wiring, just make sure what you have is perfect, well connected to the battery with good fuses/connections. Obviously the connection at the battery should be good, it's normally a thin Black wire to the Positive Clamp.

It is rare for the wiring/connectors to be poor, but very common for the fuse to be rough.

Who advised you to replace all the things you did? The EBL 99 can use any Solar regulator, but obviously the Schaudt one is easier and safer to install.

I followed the advice from a company on eBay in this business, obviously they were selling parts and I was in trouble but even if the advice was sound nobody has a crystal ball, it's just a problem that has to go and it always appears somewhere like Spain were I am now. God's way of saying you are not always in control perhaps ??

Archived