Proud to be a motorhomer?

fesspark

The mind boggles?A freind of mine who has a place in Arunal ,Javea Spain pointed out to me the other day that the wild campers in the road behind their property are not just tipping there toilet waste in the manholes but it appears some have used the hedgerow at the side of the field.The m,homes have been there up to 3 months,all nationalities including Brits.One day the police will wake up here.?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm proud too, but I have no truck with people who wild camp in that sort of way.

What's happening in one place in Spain, even if it's not the only place, is a problem which the Spanish authorities could solve quickly and easily if they wanted to and I hope they do so soon.

Yes to the question have the police been informed,no action as yet,I have been a motorhome owner and foriegn tourist longer than most and I think the wild campers that are doing the things I have mentioned should all be locked up, If they were on your doorstep and done these things I am sure you would would welcome them with open arms.?A time will come when aires and wild camping will be banned thanks to these selfish people.

fesspark - 2017-01-17 10:44 AM

The mind boggles?A freind of mine who has a place in Arunal ,Javea Spain pointed out to me the other day that the wild campers in the road behind their property are not just tipping there toilet waste in the manholes but it appears some have used the hedgerow at the side of the field.The m,homes have been there up to 3 months,all nationalities including Brits.One day the police will wake up here.?

Need to see it to make an informed opinion.

If its in the manholes isn't it in the same place as flushing it down the toilet?

If its going in te hedgerows is it doing any more harm than farmers muckspreading on their fields?

PS Proud to be a motorhomer? You might as well say are you proud to be a car user.

There is no character check before being allowed to enter a motorhome. I guess motorhome users are as varied as car users - from the best to the worst people and everyone in between I guess?

I stopped wildcamping when I found my fellow motorhomers digging holes on a Spanish beach into which they emptied the contents of their toilets. All done under the cover of darkness of course only to see children playing nearby the following day. Some motorhomers are a total embarrassment to decent people.

I can't believe ANYONE would even contemplate justifying these sort of actions. None of us may be responsible for the actions of others but they will certainly be responsible for restricting where e may be allowed in the future.

I've seen it myself before when a british registered van stopped and emptied their waste and toilet in a manhole, in a deserted carpark, now I don't think that many car parks (without toilet facilities) have sewerage systems. This manhole was a surface water drain.

I don't think you can sit on the fence about this sort of thing - it's an appalling practice and should be condemned by any right thinking motorhomer.

David

That reminds me of one of my earliest trips down through france, some 50 plus years ago.

Then, on the juorney, if it was necessary to find a "convenience", travelling through the farmland, it was quite common to see the male person standing at the side of the road, "admiring the scenery",.

But we oten wondered how the ladies managed.

We found the a decent field of maize frequently provided sufficient cover for them.

Often the aroma noticed at those pulin stops at the roadside, which might have been useful fo a mealbreak, persuaded us to wait and hold on..

Now days, with the advantage of aires, campsites etc, and on board facilities, there is no excuse for emptying , at places other than recognised facilities, .. certainly not burying it on beaches, or down roadside storm drains..

Tonyg3nwl

Not sure muck spreading is the same as disposing of human excrement!

And given the nice cocktail of urine, poo and toilet roll that gets churned up in a cassette, that's really unacceptable.

The truth is some people are just slovenly, idle, selfish thickheads.

There was even bloke who used to come on this forum who professed to crapping in a bag and throwing it in the nearest waste bin! If I recall he thought that was ok too!!!

Well nobody seems to know whether it was a surface water drain or a sewer? Doesn't that suggest if it was causing any problems they would know about it?

Incidentally Scarborough Council put forward as a reason for banning motorhomes parking overnight - they might pour waste down surface water drains. But I notice the 2 take away food kiosks sited on Scarborough South beach pouring their waste buckets down the srface water drain because they don't have any drains of their own.

globebuster - 2017-01-17 9:49 PM

And given the nice cocktail of urine, poo and toilet roll that gets churned up in a cassette, that's really unacceptable.

How do you know what they were pouring down what sort of drain and whether it was any worse than farmer's muckspreading?

There was even bloke who used to come on this forum who professed to crapping in a bag and throwing it in the nearest waste bin! If I recall he thought that was ok too!!!

Well you haven't explained why you think human waste in a hedgerow is worse than farmers muckspeading.

Can you logically explain why bagged human waste is any worse than bagged dog waste in a dog waste bin (or an ordinary litter bin that accepts bagged dog waste?)

Or are you only capable of spreading insults?

Yep..and these Motor-Hobos will be amongst the first to bleat about how "unfair" it all is, when their preferred pitching locations ends up with restrictions..

(blaming everybody- "nimbys"/local councillors/campsite owners/hoteliers etc etc- but themselves).

Guest pelmetman
globebuster - 2017-01-17 10:22 PM

You mentioned hedgerows, and seemed to imply that disposing of WC waste there was no worse than muck spreading - are you now saying you simply meant waste water?!?

If I recall correctly the EU banned the spreading of human waste on fields some years ago ;-) ..........

Which is why the cost of emptying our cesspit trebled 8-) ...........

It was still cheaper than sewage rates though :D

globebuster - 2017-01-17 10:34 PM

Why would I need to explain the obvious difference between muck spreading and someone chucking HUMAN excrement in a hedge!

As for insulting anyone - where did that come from!

well here for a start

I watched the Leeds Liverpool Canal programme by Tony Robinson (Baldrick) that showed its use to transport the waste of 80,000 liverpudlians to be spread on the fields of Lancashire whose farmers were very glad to get it because they found it ery good for their crops.

If chucking small amounts in a hedge is really such a terrible thing, it would be more civiised to explain why instead of just throwing insults around. People would be more likely to listen to you, and take notice if you have a valid argument.

Would you really go up to a row of campers and talk to them like that in real life *-)

I doubt it, and if you did I'm sure it wouldn't get you very far. Wheras if you approached them in a civilised and logical manner, explaining why you think it is so much more harmful than farmers muckspreading, they might be prepared to listen.

pelmetman - 2017-01-18 8:59 AM

If I recall correctly the EU banned the spreading of human waste on fields some years ago ;-) ..........

Seems like a lot of things we have done for hundreds of years (and some people still do) that don't comply with new Health and Safety Regulations. *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-01-18 9:36 AM

pelmetman - 2017-01-18 8:59 AM

Seems like a lot of things we have done for hundreds of years (and some people still do) that don't comply with new Health and Safety Regulations. *-)

Apparently the reason was because human poo no longer contains just poo.......but traces of all the drugs we pop to 8-) ........that said farmers still spread animal poo, and they're just as dosed up with drugs as us humans :-S ..........

PS if they are pouring it down a manhole its far more likely to be a sewer than a rainwater drain. Rainwater generally just goes into soakaways, no manhole covers over those. Given its almost certainly a sewer, its hardly fair to accuse them of pouring it down a rainwater drain.

Archived