Rabies injection prices for dogs

Mickydripin

Hi all you dog owners

I have just found out that my dog has passed his anaversary for his booster rabies injection they say even if you are an hour over you have to start again well as my vet did not remind me it was due (I know i should have checked) I have had a shock as he said that it would cost me £145 to restart it again has anyone had there dog vacinated recently and how much has it cost it sounds a lot for just one injection and a blood test.

Micky - what rabies vaccination did they give your dog last time? The one our dogs get now lasts for 3 years so might be worth 'Googling' the one your dog was given to make sure the vet has put the right 'expiry' date in the passpsort etc, you never know ......

As for the cost, not sure what dog you've got but it does depend on the size. The blood test unfortunately is expensive as it has to go away to an 'official' testing facility and can't be done in-house by the vet. Check if the fee includes a new passport as they can cost anywhere between £20-£40 and, as you've already got an old one, I can't see why that can't be used still so you might be able to save some cost there.

Our vets are very good and send us reminder letter for the dogs' standard annual boosters and rabies vaccinations but we make sure we don't forget either, after all, a letter can easily be lost in the post.

One last thought, do ring round to other vets too as the prices can vary enormously and there's nothing to say you have to have it done at your usual vet.

I know exactly how you feel as I managed to miss my dog's rabies booster three years' ago by only two days. It was doubly annoying as the vaccine that had been administered was only valid for the one year at that time but it was exactly the same numbered serum which was licenced for three years only days after!

Back to the thrust of your query. I had to pay for the whole re-test etc. and it came to roughly the same amount that you are quoting and that was three years'ago. It was a shame for the dog too of course but she kept the same passport. She now has to have the booster again (English vet quotes £48 but will last for three years) but as I am stuck in France I will have to take her to the local vet here and the licence will only last for one year. I expect it to cost around €48. Incidentally the size of the dog is unimportant with this particular vaccine.

hi if they've not change the rules if you miss your booster you not only have to have the rabies inj and blood test but you have to wait 6 months before you can return back into this country. As the vaccine is date sensitive thats why Vets don't send reminders out as they could get lost in the post and thats the reason. I know its a pain but the onus is on you as the owner of the dog to make sure you remember. :-S

well diky me ansum, rabies may well be 5 dollars a jab in phenix, but i really don recommend it. fred as seen for imself the sufferin and fatalities it as caused my biddies, so i would advise going for sumthing else. alice would do you a list, but as this is a family forum, us better not.

f

Have just returned from French vet who only charged me €27 for the rabies booster whereas my English vet quoted £48. Why such a huge difference in price? Although this booster is only licenced for one year the French vet assured me that it was exactly the same injection that the dog would have received in England.

I am now wondering if all the other boosters are cheaper in France. Everyone at the vets was really surprised that I was only having one booster but her others are not due until February.

Archived