Rapido fuses?

Paul in Brum

Hi folks

The fridge has stopped working in my 02 962M Rapido.

Freezer works fine.

I checked the user manual to see where the fuses are. It states: dresser.

Ive looked in the wardrobe and to be honest in every cupboard and I can't find those fuses anywhere. There are a load under cover on steering column but I assume those are for van not habitation. The circuit breaker is in garage by leisure batt and all fine.

Anyone else got an old Rapido and have any bright ideas?!

I'd rather not have to take a day off work and pay someone to do it for me. I'm sure it's straightforward, assuming the fridge isn't bust.

The user manual isn't the most enlightening document ever. There are a load of wiring diagrams that I couldn't understand even if I did know French.

Cheers,

Paul in Brum

Historically (and still nowadays) Rapido has fitted a CBE-made modular electrical system with the 12V fuses relating to ‘habitation’ equipment being housed in a ‘distribution box’ of the type shown in the attached photo.

I can’t tell you where that box might be in a 2002 962M, but it’s reasonably common for it to be near the battery-charger. The wardrobe seems a reasonable place to site a distribution-box and battery-charger, so if that’s where your manual suggests the fuses should be but you can’t spot any ‘kit’ there, look for a removable panel in the wardrobe (say in the base) behind/beneath which the equipment might be hiding.

CBE.JPG.19b8e7a84c13513a0dbc1ee630b2a7cf.JPG

Paul

This 2011 MHFacts thread

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/63-rapido-motorhomes/87869-location-fuse-box-rapido-770f.html

refers to not being able to find the habitation fuse-box on a 1999 Rapido 770F and the motorhome’s owner says that the Manual states that this is in the “dresser”. However, the advice given is very questionable.

There’s an oldish Rapido Instruction Manual here

http://www.chrismart.byethost15.com/Materials/Manuals/Rapido/I.htm?i=1

that indicates that Rapido fitted CBE or Scheiber ‘habitation’ electrical equipment at one stage.

On a French forum I came across another Manual that would seem to apply to a 2002 Rapido 962M. That Manual suggests that Scheiber equipment would have been fitted to 9-Series models then and, although the 12V fuses are mentioned and plenty of drawings and wiring-diagrams are provided, the exact location of the fuse-box is defined as “See end-page of Manual” which is not there!

Tonyishuk’s Rapido has its (CBE-made) fuse-box in the rear garage: my Rapido has it under the bed: my Hobby motorhome had it under the passenger cab-seat. I don’t know what French word has been translated to “dresser”, but it’s to be hoped that, wherever Rapido put the fuse-box in a 2002 962M, it will be reasonably accessible even though its location may not be immediately apparent.

Suggest you try asking Wokingham Motorhomes

https://wokinghammotorhomes.com/

as they could probably say immediately where the damn thing is.

A brief follow-up...

Having looked at some old documentation I have relating to Pilote motorhomes, it seems that - if Scheiber equipment has been used on Rapido’s 9M models - the number of 12V ‘habitation’ fuses may be very few (just three perhaps). So the advice in the MHFacts link may be right.

(The wiring-diagrams in Paul’s handbook should at least give a clue as to how many fuses there are, even if it doesn’t identify where they can be found.)

Thank you. People are so helpful here. Haven't found it yet though!

The info re manual certainly matches mine. Van is back in storage for a fortnight til next trip out but I might have to go investigating again at the weekend. I will keep you posted. I am both amateur at motorhomes and electrics so very appreciative of the advice I've received.

Funnily enough I just had Brownhills on the phone about a new spot headlight bulb (another story) and they reckon it is in steering column. Where there are lots of fuses but I assumed were actual van rather than habitation.

Updates to follow.

P

As I suggested earlier, seek advice from Wokingham Motorhomes. I believe they were the first UK agent for Rapido motorhomes and should be very familiar with earlier 9M models. Ask them where the “dresser” is.

This 2013 MHFacts forum thread, relating to a Rapido 997M (a later vintage than yours)

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/153-mercedes-chassis/107583-rapido-997m-interior-lights.html

says "there is a fuse box under the drivers seat LHD and a further fuse box on the steering column”.

Archived