• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take one tin of curry.

Remove lid (this step is essential)

Place contents in saucepan.

Heat

Eat.

Seriously though I think you are right and would be interested to see some that were a bit more complicated than mine :-D

Although I still give preference to anything with curry...

I'm opposite of Ralph here - NOTHING with curry for me, or anywhere near me. But your prawn recipe sounds great Michele, we'll try it.

One evening in 1991 we struggled up the wet, misty Pyrenees (have I spelt that right?) in a battered 1977 Glendale, pulled into a car park in the first town in Andorra, and I said "I'm not going any further."

We then found everything was shut, and the kids were starving. The van's lockers produced a tin of corned beef, a tin of beans, and a big tin of new potatoes. Liz cooked them all up in a pan and it's been "PYRENEES POTATO PIE" ever since. (And yes, of course we had a bottle of red in the cellar to wash it down!)

Tony

When my wife / cook /bottle washer/ general dogsbody (only jesting) shes brilliant, cooks a Lasagne there is always some leftover enough for one person,so its into a foil dish on with the lid dated and into the freezer until required.The other weekend spent at Brownhills Liesureword we had two of these Lasagne`s reheated , garlic a bread bottle of wine grapefruit segments as starter small trifle each for sweet an excellent meal ample for less than a tenner and only a few minutes to prepare.

Be Happy kelly :->

Well we're off to a good start on this one. Michele's is first into the Knaus cookbook, sounds really good and definitely one to try.

Ralph you got the accolade for first response but I don't think that recipe would quite maintain my reputation as a miracle worker with 'er indoors...

Thanks for the other ideas guys, all noted. Keep 'em coming.

Bob

Paella,

Using fresh ingredients from the shoreside shops and just one ring on the burner. Its a tradition for us when at Agde.

Like this!

Ingredients.

Serves 2 to 3 persons

½ lb freshly cooked muscles

2 crushed garlic cloves

1 large tomato finely chopped

2 table spoons of olive oil

½ large onion chopped finely

1 red pepper chopped finely

6 oz boned & chopped chicken. (Preferably thighs)

small pinch of chilli flakes

½ teaspoon paprika

5 oz risotto rice

1 good pinch of saffron

1 pint of vegetable or chicken stock.

6 large prawns

1 ½ table spoons of sherry

2oz frozen peas

lemon to garnish

salt & pepper seasoning.

Procedure

Heat oil in pan and add onions.

Fry for 7 minutes.

Add garlic, tomato, red pepper and chicken chunks.

Stir well, sprinkle with chilli & paprika stir well again.

Cook over gentle heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally

Add rice.

Cook for 5 minutes stirring until all grains are well coated.

Sprinkle in saffron and add stock all at once. Season well, give good stir and bring to boil.

Reduce heat & simmer uncovered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until rice is cooked a and most of stock absorbed.

Stir in prawns, sherry, peas, & muscles and cook for further 2-3 minutes until heated through.

Serve.

EAT!

Oh, and a bottle of local wine of the region.

PAELLA.jpg.d9a90d78441514085a60154998d9736b.jpg

Boring but Fresh Rib Eye Steak.

Green beans

New potatoes ....

glass of Vino .......

The Rib Eye just melts in your mouth ......

Another ..........

Ciabata Bread or French stick toasted.

Drizzle over if you like French dressing

Load it with Rocket salad ...

Smidgen of Dijon mustard

Slap on the Rib Eye.........

both quick and easy...........

Clive can I come with you & Rick Stein there?

If barbecues are allowed and you have one with a lid, proceed as follows.

One leg of lamb wrapped in foil and placed in atin or on griddle plate - about five layers of foil are best because this stops burning. Cook thoroughly and the meat will just fall from the bone. If you have enough room roast potatoes can be done alongside in a tin.

Vegetables can be cooked in the van. Now, where's the mint sauce?

Camp beside a Scottish loch.  While the other half heats a pot of white wine and garlic, trundle down to the shore and collect a bucket of mussels.  Clean them, throw them into the pot while slicing some fresh bread and pouring a glass of Samur sparkling.

Simple, brilliant, and true!

Normandy Pork - favourite of ours

Ingredients:

Pork chops - according to number to be fed.

Apples - ditto - cut into small segments.

Olive oil

butter

garlic

small amount of cider

Melt olive oil, butter and garlic in pan and add chops. When cooked remove from pan and keep warm.

Add slurp of cider and warm through. Then add apple segments to pan and cook for a few minutes until soft and cider is almost evaporated. Return chops to pan and dish up.

Serve with green beans if wished or just lovely French bread (and wine!)

Empress

Welcome James.

You'll meet some strange people on here (some are so strange they even think I'M odd!) but we try to look after each other. Don't take any of us (including yourself) too seriously and you'll enjoy yourself.

Back on thread - funny how all these recipes require a bottle of wine ... ??

Tony

Writing them down is a good idea.

Maybe someone should paste them into a booklet & sell for some worthwhile charity (I don't THINK there's a "fund for impoverished motorcaravanners" - but given the prices we're asked when we buy our vehicles, it's ojnly a matter of time!).

Seriously, how would people who've contributed recipes feel about that idea? (not that I'm volunteering)

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-01-25 12:56 PM

(And yes, of course we had a bottle of red in the cellar to wash it down!)

Tony

First we get vans with Garages, when the van should only go in the garage for parking purposes.

Now I see we have a van with Cellar.

What will the manufactures they think of next?

Hope it's no further DOWN.

Flicka

Tony Jones - 2007-01-26 3:39 PM MOM, I think I'd need to know how to clean mussels properly before trying your idea - and I'd want to look for them somewhere warmer - every time we've been anywhere near a Scottish loch we've been cooped up in the van out of the rain - and that's August!

Oh no!  Catastroph!  (said with a French accent!)

May is best in Scotland... before the midges, and warm enough to be outside.  As for the mussels, you need a salt water loch with a fresh water stream entering.  At the join, collect the mussels, discard any not fully closed.  Wash them in water, then with an old knife or very stiff scrubbing brush, get rid of any extraneous material on each mussel.  If a furry bit extrudes, pull this out.  Then throw into a boiling broth of white wine, butter and garlic.  After about 10 minutes, any unopened mussels should be discarded.  The rest, go for it.  Pour the broth into bowls, then toss in the mussels.  Fresh bread should be dunked in the broth.  The wine should start with a sparkler, but then progress to a heavy white like a chardonnay (preferably unwooded if you are inviting me over to join you!).

Enjoy!

The one who should be obeyed and I, after a long continental drive, often prefer a simple meal.  Some tinned tomatoes, or fresh with some tomato juice, garlic, sliced peppers, chilli if you're up for it, mushies, a green herb of your choice.  Heat it all up in a pot.  On the other burner, cook some pasta of choice.  If the sauce is less than you're used too, some beanfest or quorn will help avoid the need to carry meat.  Or add mince if you like.  Grate some parmesan, or failing that some strong cheddar, and open a bottle of rough Chianti.  Be as carefree as you like, shovel a mouthful and wash with Chianti.  Repeat.  Drop some on your shirt.  Shovel some more.  Wash with Chianti.  As far as I'm concerned, life doesn't get much better than this!

Archived