Remis electric roof light, manual over ride

rooster63

I have a Remis electric roof light fitted to my Timberland Destiny. In the manual it refers to a handle to close the roof light in the event of some sort of failure of the electric system. I don't seem to have that handle but no idea what it looks like. The instructions refer to removing a blanking disk located at the front end of the roof light, I can do that and there is a small hole but too difficult to see what sort of tool would engage with what. Have tried searching internet but not found anything helpful. Hopefully will never need it but thought better be prepared. The van also has an electric awning and there is a winding handle for that if electric system fails.

rooster63 - 2021-03-03 9:37 PM

Can’t see any model identification and it’s a very small access hole, winder looks too big but I’ll check it out thanks.

Try following this video "Which Remis Rooflight Do I Have?"

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ventilation/camper-van-conversion/remis-rooflights-and-spare-parts/remis-remistar-rooflight#ppSales[iframes]/2/

But there is only ONE electric model, the 'REMISTAR' and "Dome raised by electric motor but has a manual winding handle as a back-up"

And this COULD be the part you are missing...

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ventilation/caravan-roof-vent/remis-rooflights-and-spare-parts/remistar-rooflight-crank

And instructions including emergency operation on the last page...

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/pdf/Remistar_user_guide.pdf

Keith.

Try detaching the round cap and see what shape or splines the crank drive uses.

You may strike lucky and find it is a simple hex drive in which case you could find a suitable driver or make up a crank for emergency use only. Or if not hex then try Torx or other similar drives.

Keith.

I’ve attached below the relevant extract from the Remistar manual Keith gave a link to above, and this shows a simple shiny metal ‘crank handle’ that could be used for manual operation of that rooflight.

There is something slightly odd about this crank as the Remistar section of the Remis catalogue includes a reference to a ‘crank’ with a Part Number of 10010446. This Part Number is unique in the catalogue, but when a GOOGLE-search is carried on “Remis 10010446” what comes back is this thing

https://shop.miriad-products.com/Remitop-Crank

that relates to a Remitop rooflight not a Remistar.

It would be worth contacting Leisureshopdirect just to confirm that the “REMISTAR ROOFLIGHT CRANK” they advertise is the thing that’s needed for emergency operation.

302818706_Remiscrank.png.461d2c2a9089f00f56cbd9f02263276b.png

After a bit more investigation it would appear that a 8mm hex key will fit. Hopefully will never need it but as there seems to be a bit of confusion over the exact part and a long waiting time it gives reassurance that I have a back up in the event of some sort of electrical failure.

There was some movement of the roof light. Once I was satisfied it seemed to be doing the job I stopped as it will probably need some sort of extension as I had to insert the longer side of the key as short side not long enough to engage in socket so not much leverage to rotate. Hopefully never needed but at least I know I have a back up. I presume the previous owner of the van either lost the crank or forgot to pass it on. Have contacted the dealer I bought the van from to see if they can source one for me but if not I'm sure the hex key will work. At least the manual winder for the electric awning is there, as are the wheel changing tools and crank handle for lowering the spare wheel.

Just to update. Firstly its a 5mm hex that fits and not an 8mm, need to go to Specsavers!. Bought a set of T hex keys as useful for bike maintenance. With the long arm inserted the 'T' gives good leverage as opposed to using a standard hex key where there is very little leverage using the short side. Tested manual opening and closing and works a treat. Hopefully won't be needed but good to have a back up if the electric motor fails. Set of keys cheaper than buying the official crank which is not available anyway. Can't wait until we are given the green light to go away. Spent many a happy hour pottering in the new van checking the systems, locating fuses, working out a storage plan etc

I carry a small electric screwdriver in my onboard toolbox, Some carry electric drills for steadies (mostly caravans), so if you could find or make a long enough adapter for one of these devices, you could drive the rooflight open and closed, a bit like using the electric....

• 1 year later...

You are all lifesavers....6 mths trying to figure out manually opening our Remistar electric vent in bedroom and just pulled out our bike tool set and yes, hex key (think 5mm) fitted in perfectly, pushed in the button (left on my vent) and turned the key and fresh air at last.... hopefully electrician fixes loose wire but now found another longer spare key off another set and put into tv cabinet ready for if ever need to open/close manually

5mm hex key for remistar vent manual override.jpg

Archived