Removing 3M sticky pads from windscreen

Steve928

It was stitched-on really; I bought a new dashcam and it came only with a sticky mount and not a suction one. I spent a good time agonising over the position, but in hindsight it's not quite right and needs to be a bit lower so that it's fully hidden behind the satnav (although still illegal..).

Does anyone have a good method method for removing the (probably genuine and not Chinese) 3M sticky stuff?

I'm thinking first pare the mount off with a scalpel and then attack the residue with a plastic scraper and acetone?

Any experiences gratefully received.

Thanks all, I was imagining it would be seriously bonded on but of course it was easy to slice it off with a sharp knife and then remove the residue with meths. Did the same for a redundant Sanef tag bracket at the same time. Thanks for your help.

Yes I can see that that would work with the Sanef one which was more like a gel, a bit like the stuff used to stick credit cards to letters, than a foam pad. They've sent us a second generation Sanef tag which is much smaller but uses a different mount.

Archived