Replacement gas bottles in Spain

stevec176

I've got 2 6kg gas bottles in my Rapido 665f and I'm thinking of going to Spain for a few weeks but I'm not sure they will last so I'm wondering if it might be possible to buy a Spanish bottle if I do. Has anyone purchased a bottle in Spain and are there any problems with fitting it?

Thanks

Officially done it can be a little expensive as you are supposed to have your van check out by a gas fitter then you buy a contract with the supplier. Usually Repsol. But if you ask some kind soul for an empty repsol bottle, check that it will fit your gas locker. Go to a hardware store or Motorhome dealer and by the connector and fittings for the repsol bottle. Then take your empty bottle to a garage and exchange it for a full one. I would get Propane at the moment in Spain as Butane doesn't gas very well below about 3c. The gas connector/valve should cost about 15-20€ and a full propane bottle 11.5€ and Butane about 15€

Steve

I hesitate to ask this, but wouldn’t you be better doing what you were enquiring about recently

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gaslow-filler-point/46069/

rather than potentially running out of gas in Spain and having to obtain a Spanish bottle?

If you did take the Spanish bottle approach, don’t forget that you’d need to obtain the appropriate ‘full pressure’ connector for the bottle

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-Spanish-Jumbo-Adapte

not a regulator.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-20 9:05 AM

Steve

I hesitate to ask this, but wouldn’t you be better doing what you were enquiring about recently

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gaslow-filler-point/46069/

rather than potentially running out of gas in Spain and having to obtain a Spanish bottle?

If you did take the Spanish bottle approach, don’t forget that you’d need to obtain the appropriate ‘full pressure’ connector for the bottle

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-Spanish-Jumbo-Adapte

not a regulator.

yes your right, I should have pointed that out. It is just a connector and valve. Some have small lever & some have a red knob on the top of the unit, you can turn on and off just like a tap

These are your options if you go for Repsol/Cepsa ( yes Cepsa are the same dimensions as Repsol ) .

You can also use the same Regulator and or a straight connector depending on your set up from either supplier.

As for getting a bottle ,as mentioned you can get a contract with one of the above Co s. (never heard of getting a Certificate for a van a house yes ), but some camp site will supply and exchange bottles for a small deposit ...the small 6kg is harder to come by second hand.

As for fitting it will depends if you have a fixed regulator if so the you only need the Valve (righthand side in the Picture) and possibly Orange tubing from a ferretería.

Occationally there are Spanish bottles for sale on EBAY UK ..one there at the moment £20 a bit pricey normally they go for 10€ empty second hand over here.

If you look on FaceBook in Spain at For Sale sites there are always some available.at 10€.

Brian K

437152161_13-11KgGasBottle.jpg.f296272746066788edc74cfd96367a01.jpg

226538166_6KgGasBottle.jpg.e4604bc620610d6dbe6ba6bbaba56d69.jpg

1058667435_GasRegulator.jpg.4dfc7089e02a447624b0d0d2e0c1777d.jpg

Guest pelmetman
BKen1 - 2017-01-20 12:19 PM

Occationally there are Spanish bottles for sale on EBAY UK ..one there at the moment £20 a bit pricey normally they go for 10€ empty second hand over here.

If you look on FaceBook in Spain at For Sale sites there are always some available.at 10€.

Brian K

We got our bottle from the gas man who delivers daily to the Calpemar site, can't remember how much we paid, but today just bought a spare bottle so I have a back up 15.40 euro complete, and the refills have just gone up to 12 euro a bottle here ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2017-01-20 1:44 PM

We got our bottle from the gas man who delivers daily to the Calpemar site, can't remember how much we paid, but today just bought a spare bottle so I have a back up 15.40 euro complete, and the refills have just gone up to 12 euro a bottle here ;-) ...........

Thats the way to do it .....the Propane bottles are cheaper than the Butano because they have less gas in them (11Kg as opposed to 13Kg) although the dimensions are the same.

You will find there are lots of different colour bottles now as they are being replaced slowly with new designs and not as heavy from both suppliers.

Steve’s Rapido 665F is near-new and (like my own 640F model) will have a Truma DuoControl CS changeover-regulator and Truma gas-hoses with anti-rupture protection. As he is currently using 6kg gas-bottles, it’s reasonably to assume that each gas-hose has a UK-norm propane-bottle male LH-threaded POL connector at the gas-bottle end. Such hoses will not attach to a Spanish gas-bottle, so - besides requiring the appropriate Spanish on-bottle connecter - there will be a need to obtain a different threaded-ended gas-hose to connect to the Spanish on-bottle connector or (I think) one of these

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-4331

Guest pelmetman
stevec176 - 2017-01-20 5:07 PM

Thanks everyone, I've decided to bite the bullet and pay up and change my system over to Gasflow. Obviously a lot more expensive but I know where I am. Hopefully Europe here we come :-D

Apparently once you've got it, if you decide to change your moho then you can have it transferred ;-) .......

At what cost I have no idea :-S .......

pelmetman - 2017-01-20 5:29 PM

Thanks everyone, I've decided to bite the bullet and pay up and change my system over to Gasflow. Obviously a lot more expensive but I know where I am. Hopefully Europe here we come :-D

Apparently once you've got it, if you decide to change your moho then you can have it transferred ;-) .......

In my case the transfer-cost would be nil as (as I’ve said before) I chose the Gaslow “Direct Fill” approach that uses an on-bottle filling adapter

http://tinyurl.com/j8m6jnm

If a ‘full house’ Gaslow sysyem has been chosen with a remote filling-point in the motorhome’s bodywork, transferring that system to a different motorhome would entail more effort and cost more unless the task were DIYed.

A Gaslow 11kg R67 bottle, a 1.5m filler hose (which Steve would probably need if the filling-point is to go in the locker door) and a 0.75m stainless-steel bottle-to-regulator hose (which Steve will also probably need) is priced at around £290 on the Gaslow website. On top of that would be filling adapters which can either be bought individually or as a set. Gaslow price with adapters around £343

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-20 6:40 PM

In my case the transfer-cost would be nil as (as I’ve said before) I chose the Gaslow “Direct Fill” approach that uses an on-bottle filling adapter

I don't doubt your right Derek ;-) .......but a certain amount of numpty proofing is wise for us numpties :D ......

pelmetman - 2017-01-20 7:15 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-20 6:40 PM

I don't doubt your right Derek ;-) .......but a certain amount of numpty proofing is wise for us numpties :D ......

Any motorcaravanner who can change a Calor gas-bottle and fit a threaded-end gas-hose should (in principle at least) have little difficulty installing a basic ‘direct fill’ type of user-refillable gas-bottle system or transferring the system between motorhomes.

Installation of a Gaslow R67 bottle in my Rapido 640F was complicated by the peculiar shape of the gas-locker’s ceiling, the position of the change-over regulator, the design of the Gaslow R67 bottle’s outlet, Rapido’s poor bottle-retention arrangement and the fact that I had chosen the 11kg container. If I had picked Gaslow’s smaller 6kg bottle, or one of these

http://tinyurl.com/hupnlhz

I could have installed the system in minutes.

Archived