Replacement interior lamp bulb in Hymer Exsis i588

RFC7

I have a failed lamp in the small spotlight over the dining table, it is of a type I have never seen before. The lamp on/off switch lights up blue to the touch, but the small (very small) lamp itself requires replacing. Does anyone have any experience of this light, if so please advise.

Regards

RFC7

Try a Hymer dealer and see what they can find. The actual lamp will be a commercially available item, though how readily available on the retail market I have no idea. It will almost certainly be costly via Hymer, but if you can get hold of one you may then be able to source the unit at a lower price elsewhere.

This would seem to be a premature failure, since your van can't be that old and I'd guess that lamp isn't in use as often as most others. I wonder if the fault might lie in the touch switch rather than the lamp? I assume it still switches to the blue glow on first touch, but then fails to bring on the lamp on second touch?

Might it be more straightforward to change the whole fitting in the first instance, and then see if you can get to the bottom of the fault after the original has been removed? If the original fitting can be repaired/re-lamped, you could fit it as a second over table lamp. It's always struck me that just that one lamp was a bit parsimonious! :-D

Hi Lenny and Brian,

Thank you for your prompt responces re the above, I never fail to be amazed at the speed some of you more regular contributers to the site, pick up some of the initial queries so quickly, are you linked up with some form of alarm/alert system .....?

However, moving on as they say, I have unscrewed the front of the unit and exposed the very strange looking, minute, lamp. It defiately looks like an item that is not meant to fail, and if it does, just replace replace the whole unit.

Which, as Brian suggested, I intend doing, I just thought I would be patient and await some responses just in case there was an alternative option to consider. I have no doubt a quick search on the internet will show up a suitable replacement, in fact I will probavly fit two, as again I agree with Brian, one small spot light above the table is very 'Skimpy' by Hymer standards.

Note: For Brian, I am traveling up to Conwy on October 23rd and meeting Allen Evans the following morning for the fitting of an up-graded Elektroblock EBL 119 along with a matched pair of new Varta LFD 90 Batteries, obtained from Megastore at £95.00 each inc a next day delivery service. Five star recomendation.

Thank you as always for your valuable contributions.

Kind regards

RFC7

You got lucky with me, been looking at the forum this week often don't bother much these days but I'm very active on Motorhome Fun, monitor that one all day, this one is not mobile friendly and software is so dated.

Back to the lights last van was an Exsis i678 bed area lights used every night didn't have any fail

In the lounge I fitted a dimmer with remote control on the main lights around the rooflight hardly ever used the light above the table.

Current van is a Dynamic Line same lights no problems again only use bedroom ones so probably only used for an hour a day.

Hi Lenny,

Thank you for your reply, I have never checked out Motorhome fun, but will do later. I have only ever received very friendly and helpful responses from this site so have no problem with it, as they say 'it works for me.

I have been into boating for many, many years, however, to quote my favorite quote 'Nothing is forever', so my Fairline Squadron 58 was sold last year, I then decided that maybe a shore-based boat (on wheels) may satisfy the still active 'Wanderlust', hence the arrival of the two-year-old LHD Hymer Exsis i588 in April this year. I plan to be active with it in Europe in 2018.

Regarding the replacement interior light, I located a new one on the internet, via images and ordered it yesterday, having stripped the existing one I could see a replacement lamp was never part of the original design concept.

Regards

RFC7

Hi Lenny,

The replacement lamp, which was identical, was ordered on Amazon on Saturday and arrived the following day (yes Sunday), total cost £17.25, after connecting it up it worked fine.

I then wanted to make certain the original lamp was total history before binning it so I hard wired it across two battery terminals, as before, just the blue neon switch was operative so the internal (very complicated looking minuscule lamp assembly) was history.

Nb: I retained the screw on glass shade as a future spare!

Well why not, as my Father would say, 'Its always easier to save a pound than make one.

RFC7

RFC7 - 2017-10-16 7:10 AM

Hi Lenny,

The replacement lamp, which was identical, was ordered on Amazon on Saturday and arrived the following day (yes Sunday), total cost £17.25, after connecting it up it worked fine......................RFC7

Might be helpful for anyone else who finds one of these lamps has failed, if you could post the details of what you bought, sufficient to allow them to readily identify it.

• 3 months later...

Lighteu LT-77120CH Chrome D1 on Amazon. Found it by searching for “Motorhome LED”

I looked for these a few years ago but couldn’t find them. We have four in our Hymer, two of which failed and were replaced under warranty. The first one loosened mechanically internally and its replacement became dim and eventually failed. The colour temperature of the replacement was different and is a little less bright than the others but I’ve just put up with it.

Just ordered a pair of these from Amazon for delivery today. £18 each or a bit less than twice this for a pair. Looking at the reviews, the failures I experienced seem to be common. I’ll fit this pair and keep the two front lounge ones as spares. The other two over the bed seem to be ok.

Ive tried to mend these lights mechanically and electrically without success. Coincidentally, I bought an outside LED light from B&Q this weekend and noticed that one of the benefits of their units is that there is no need to worry about changing the LED if it fails. You just throw the whole unit away. Progress.

I’ve just fitted the two LEDs in the lounge of our Hymer. Neither of the originals had failed but I felt that one in particular was less bright. The replacements are much brighter! In fact, I have to dim them to their lowest setting to give them same light levels as before.

I have just been reading about LED lights and Lumen Degradation. Our lights should be lasting longer than the old incandescent bulbs but they do not maintain the same output throughout. Old LEDs fade away rather than die. The old units were dated 23/2013 but we didn’t take delivery of the van until May 2014. So these LEDs were approaching 4 years old. I can’t say if they were ever as bright as the new ones. The electronics are slightly different and remember the dimmed level when turned off and on again (but not after the power is turned off at main panel).

So, if your lounge and/or bedroom seems to be less bright than it once was it may not be your imagination.

Archived