Reversing camera for double-back-door van

REMCODEGRAVE

Reversing camera for double-back-door van  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi

Does anyone have experience with buying/installing a reversing camera for a van with a double back-door (like my Ford Transit 2010)? Most reversing camera's seem intended to go behind the license plate, which is off-centre for my van, so not ideal. The tow-hook also complicates options in my case, but somewhere around there is probably my best bet.

Many thanks for your suggestions

Hi

My only experience is with rear mounted cameras is the type that go over the door so in turn looking down I find them a great help and leave mine on all the time while traveling. If you have the low level ones I believe they suffer from picking up all the dust and crap from the road.

..that type is perfectly adequate for a reversing camera, but be aware the amount of adjustment from the vertical down is not great (I.e. Not great for a wider rear view)

I had similar on a Fiat PVC, and it was just enough to function OK with a rear bike rack fitted.

Try https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com for a cheaper price.

I suspect the rear brake light might be off-centre in one of the doors, however. You might find something like this, roof mounted, might be better (and note the extension bracket at the bottom of the same page)

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/ccd-reversing-camera-for-vans.html

Mk7 high top Transit, I mounted two cameras on a simple bracket made from scrap pieces of aluminium and a stainless cavity wall brace held on to the roof with neodymium magnets and double sided carpet tape (still there after 12 years)

2 x 4 pin camera set up from ebay £60 one pointing down for reversing and one facing behind, they are both easily re-adjusted, stuck the screen on the back of the drivers sun visor. weather shield/hood made from an old aluminium computer case side panel.

No holes drilled there is a way inside the roof space behind the door top.

It works a treat, good picture, I'e always been pleased with it.

IMG_20191118_144855125_HDR.jpg.0975841700d8d85976b7eb55627e776a.jpg

I have a Citroen relay and mounted the camera above the back doors just above the top brake light and it works well. I had to reverse a few times to get used to how far behind things were as there is a bar showing distance on the view screen but once I worked out how far things were away then all was good. However looking down from that height is a bit off putting at first but I think that was because the camera used to be where the number plate is.

Guest pelmetman
AliB - 2019-11-18 5:05 PM

There is not usually an issue with the camera being mounted off centre. The angle of view is usually great enough to accommodate. If using a camera like a Licence Plate model you can fit a washer under one of the mounting screws to compensate.

Lots of good prices here:

http://2seetv.co.uk/sellerdeck/Reversing-Cameras-p1.html

Have to say I'm well pleased with the double camera set up you supplied B-) .........

The hard bit is the counter-intuitive steering when reversing ;-) .........

I'm hoping for Day-glow knob/hitch cover for Christmas B-) ......

To improve my accuracy when reversing up to our trailer :D ........

P1010899.JPG.a776504078009b64288f8b3962cf85bd.JPG

I hesitate to ask this, but is your reversing-camera not producing a 'mirror image’?

The norm would be for a reversing-camera’s monitor to produce the same image orientation as an ordinary interior rear-view mirror that - when the driver looks in the mirror - things that are behind the vehicle and towards its left appear in the left part of the mirror, with things that are behind the vehicle and towards its right appearing in the right part of the mirror. So, if a reversing-camera’s monitor is providing a ‘mirror image’ view, manoeuvring in reverse while looking at the monitor should be much the same as manoeuvring in reverse while looking at an interior rear-view mirror.

There are plenty of on-line comments about reversing-camera systems producing an image that is ‘the wrong way round’ (or even upside down!) and there is usually the option to switch the image around via the monitor’s menu.

Dave's camera is, without a doubt, producing a mirror image. I also assume he is talking about reversing a trailer. I can't remember which monitor he is using but many models have a image flip option within the menu so you can choose either a straight or mirror image.

Guest pelmetman
dipsticks - 2019-11-22 8:41 AM

I thought the same, then decided he meant the counter directional steering when reversing with a trailer.

Correct ;-) ........

Guest pelmetman
AliB - 2019-11-23 5:13 PM

Dave's camera is, without a doubt, producing a mirror image. I also assume he is talking about reversing a trailer. I can't remember which monitor he is using but many models have a image flip option within the menu so you can choose either a straight or mirror image.

I have the double camera ;-) .........

I have set one up to look behind.......and the other at my knob/hitch :D ......

The image is not flipped ........It's just about being aware that what I'm looking at on the monitor requires the opposite turns on the steering wheel to reach it.........Well to my mind it does 8-) .......

The best option is a stick on (or magnet / velcro) wifi camera, usb powered, close door on cable and plug into a power bank if nothing else. £26 ebay - search wifi reversing camera usb

Viewed via smart phone. My power bank would last weeks even if left on permanently

Mirrored views are usually caused by the camera being installed upside down, meant for bumper location

many offer an option to switch views

Archived