Road Tax

kiters70

Subject to the MTPLM being no higher than 3500kg (as standard, that model complies), and subject to the final stage CoC not showing a CO2 figure (it shouldn't), then the vehicle should be registered in the Private/Light Goods category (TC11) which currently attracts a sum of £255 per year.

I note that searching the Government's web pages for info on this is currently less than helpful (since the rules were rewritten for motorhomes with a CO2 figure inserted in their final stage CoC), but I can assure you the above is the case, unless anyone makes a mistake (a regular dealer shouldn't).

weldted - 2019-01-10 9:17 AM

I believe the £40,000 price tag only applies to cars?

Or MH's where a CO2 figure IS quoted (ie VW California where CO2 figure is measured on a finished vehicle).

As soon as a vehicle undergoes a 'Second stage' conversion which affects CO2 figure, eg body conversion, weight alteration, etc. then the original manufacturers CO2 figure no longer applies.

Keith.

If (as my post above) the vehicle is correctly registered in the PLG (TC11) category, then none of the implications of its list price being above £40,000 apply.

(Fundamentally, the issue for a motorhome is to ensure that the final stage CoC (certificate of conformity) does not have a CO2 figure inserted. Converters and dealers are well aware of this, so, for a UK-retail sourced vehicle, regardless of its country of origin, it is very unlikely for one to be present. As per some correspondence on here over the last year, this is not necessarily going to be so with a personal import from a country where the tax rules are different. I'm pretty sure that an Elddis will not be a personal import, however ;-) )

The £40K threshold is for 'vehicles' so does include motorhomes. I've just registered my Challenger Vany LHD import and had to provide proof of the list price. Note its the list price, not what you paid for it. I was fortunate in that mine cam in at under £35,500 after taking into account the exchange rate. As its quite new March 2018, I was concerned about CO2 emissions but as these were not on the CoC then PLG was the correct class. I think issues will arise when a motorhome list price is over the threshold AND manufacturers begin to put emissions on the final CoC.

The OP has not mentioned price or age on the motorhome so its difficult to give advice.

Cheers

Dave

rael - 2019-01-14 3:23 PM

The £40K threshold is for 'vehicles' so does include motorhomes........

Dave

Nope.

If both the following apply, then the £40,000 purchase price conditions will apply:

- it’s in the M1SP category

- its CO2 emissions are included on the ‘type approval certificate’ (this might be called a ‘certificate of

conformity’ or ‘individual vehicle approval’)

But, though most motorhomes will fall in the M1SP category, as posted above, the vast majority of UK-sourced motorhomes will not have a CO2 figure on the final CoC, and are thus taxed in a completely different manner, not depending on emissions, and not subject to the £40,000 list price implications.

To restate, they will be taxed as either PLG (TC11) currently £255 pa or PHG (TC10) currently £165 pa if over 3.5t .

I'm pretty sure that was what I was saying! Something got lost along the way. If the CO2 emissions appear on the CoC AND the vehicle is over £40000 then you could have quite an expensive problem Luckily thats not been the case with the majority of UK motorhomes.

I'm only going on my experience of the last few weeks. Despite there being no CO2 emissions on the CoC I was still expected to prove the list price of the vehicle on the V55/5. The help notes state:

You must provide the list price/notional price for M1 type approved vehicles only. This

will be the price the day before the date from which the vehicle was originally registered.

I simply didn't want any misunderstanding - your post was certainly open to misinterpretation, especially around you use of the wording "I was fortunate in that mine cam in at under £35,500 " in the context of your opening words detailing the £40K ceiling as being applicable to motorhomes. (As there was no CO" rating on your final CoC, then list price was irrelevant to road tax, whether or not you had to declare it).

:-)

The OP provided enough information on vehicle type and potential age (Euro 6) to be completely clear that (E&OE) the vehicle should fall into the PLG (TC11) category.

The government invented a way to try to persuade people to buy vehicles with relatively low exhaust emissions, by imposing relatively punitive VED on those with high emissions - and for some reason added a purchase cost barrier above which the VED became even more punitive. Maybe they were swayed by tax revenus considerations? :-)

When the UK motorhome manufacturers saw what that would do to the cost of taxing their products, almost all of which cost in excess of £40K, they got into a huddle with DVLA, and came up with an argument that, since the CO2 figure relates to the base vehicle, which is a commercial van, it was illogical to base the taxation of a motorhome upon those CO2 levels because the motorhome is (generally) rebodied to become much less aerodynamically efficient, and generally heavier, so that the base vehicle figures would be unreliable. (Paradoxically, the actual emissions will inevitably be worse, due to the worse aerodynamics and extra weight, but let's not go there! :-D)

As there was no requirement to conduct CO2 tests on such extensively modified, but small scale production, vehicles, it was decided that inclusion of the CO2 figures on the CoC would be inappropriate, and that in their absence the level of VED should fall into either PLG or PHGV categories, as hitherto, but depending on MAM.

In order not to discriminate unfairly against imports, this was conveyed to foreign manufacturers of motorhomes, and, for reason known only to themselves, they decided to adopt the UK CoC format for vehicles they export to the UK. :-)

Any EU produced motorhome manufactured outside the UK should now come with a CoC bearing blanks for CO2 emissions. If the vehicle is a personal import from within the EU it should be possible, if you ask nicely, to obtain a copy of the CoC in the UK format direct from the manufacturer (before registering it), as they are now all set up to provide these for RHD or LHD vehicles destined for the UK market - 'though I guess some may make an admin charge for doing this.

(Copied from a November 2018 forum thread.)

..........................................................................................................................

The UK’s current VED system is explained here

https://tinyurl.com/y9x3hkwa

Where UK-registration of new MOTOR CARAVANS is concerned the critical criteria are the vehicle’s Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) and whether there is a CO2 emissions figure on the vehicle’s final Certificate of Conformity (CofC).

VED involving the CO2 emissions figure APPLIES ONLY if the vehicle's MAM DOES NOT exceed 3500kg.

If a new motor caravan’s MAM DOES EXCEED 3500kg it should be registered in Tax Class 10 (Private HGV) at a current annual cost of £165. (This is irrespective of whether or not its final CofC carries a CO2 figure.)

https://tinyurl.com/yby5uqp9

if a new motor caravan’s MAM DOES NOT exceed 3500kg and its final CofC DOES NOT carry a CO2 figure, the vehicle should be registered in Tax Class 11 (Private/light goods vehicle) at a current annual cost of £255 if its motor’s capacity exceeds 1549cc, or £155 if its motor’s capacity does not exceed 1549cc.

https://tinyurl.com/y8u63ftg

if a new motor caravan’s MAM DOES NOT exceed 3500kg and its final CofC DOES carry a CO2 figure, the vehicle should be registered in the appropriate emissions-related VED class based on the vehicle’s final CofC’s CO2 figure, and an additional charge will apply if the motor caravan’s list-price exceeds £40,000

Derek,

your notes above on vehicles above 3.5t falling under PHG arrangements regardless of any CO2 figure conflicts somewhat with the DVLA's own advice.

There is a very useful article published by them here, with a clear flow chart embedded.

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2017/03/27/new-vehicle-tax-rates-how-motorhomes-kit-built-and-multi-stage-build-vehicles-are-affected/

...which clearly gives precedence to the CO2 figure being published.

Nonetheless, overall the published DVLA information is confusing, and sometimes contradictory (the above document itself, for instance, only covers in the text the positioning as PLG if no CO2 figure is present, ignoring the possibility of PHG for heavier vehicles).

The flowchart is, however, very straightforward to follow, and implies that heavier vehicles can come under the new arrangement if there is a CO2 figure present - whether it is correct or not is another matter ;-)

In a February 2016 forum thread I mentioned that I had sought clarification from the DVLA about UK first registration of motorhomes with ECWVTA.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-licensing-road-tax/40754/

A vehicle’s weight is critical to whether or not it is assigned to a VED class based on a CO2 emissions datum. The three ‘emissions’ Tax Classes are TC48, TC49 and TC59 and these are referred to respectively as “Petrol Car”, “Diesel Car” and “Alternative Fuel Car” on the V355/1 document on the following link, with each of those three Tax Classes applying to a vehicle with a ‘revenue weight’ not exceeding 3500kg.

https://tinyurl.com/y9n4a9rf

The V355/1 document on the link has a “3/17” marking and (as far as I’m aware) no changes have been made to V355/1’s guidance since then.

The latest V149 document is here

It would be a simple matter to ask the DVLA if the Tax Classes TC48, TC49 and TC59 shown on the latest V149 document apply only to vehicles with a ‘revenue weight’ not exceeding 3500kg.

If the DVLA’s answer were “Yes” (which was the situation in 2016) then any vehicle with a ‘revenue weight’ exceeding 3500kg would need to be assigned to another Tax Class, and - for a motorhome with a MAM over 3500kg - that Class would be TC10 (Private HGV).

• 6 months later...

I have seen a post this evening on the motorhomefun forum with a link to the Spinney Motorhomes website, which indicates 2020 model motorhomes, registered after 1 September this year, will be liable to all the additional taxation.

https://www.spinney.co.uk/about/news/tax-increase?fbclid=IwAR2U2l0GmpCbA8Sbo4xmPk2bvcHt76Uxp1-C00xH2br5eWeFL9EUqqH6TOk

I am not convinced Spinney is correct, but would be interested to learn what other members on this forum believe?

mikebeaches - 2019-07-20 11:26 PM

I have seen a post this evening on the motorhomefun forum with a link to the Spinney Motorhomes website, which indicates 2020 model motorhomes, registered after 1 September this year, will be liable to all the additional taxation.

https://www.spinney.co.uk/about/news/tax-increase?fbclid=IwAR2U2l0GmpCbA8Sbo4xmPk2bvcHt76Uxp1-C00xH2br5eWeFL9EUqqH6TOk

I am not convinced Spinney is correct, but would be interested to learn what other members on this forum believe?

Historically, motorhomes with European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (EWVTA) that were converted in more than one ‘stage’ have (usually) had no CO2 emissions figure on their ‘final stage’ Certificate of Conformity (ie. the Certificate of Conformity (CoC) that will have been issued by the motorhome converter). Consequently, those vehicles could not be assigned to any of the UK’s VED ‘car’ classes that are CO2-emissions related.

However, if motorhome converters will (from 1 September 2019) be compelled to include a CO2 figure on the ‘final stage’ CoC, the DVLA will be in a position to treat those vehicles as ‘cars’ at first UK-registration and assign them to the UK’s VED ‘car’ classes that are CO2-emissions related. This action would not affect new motorhomes with a maximum overall weight exceeding 3500kg as the UK’s VED ‘car’ classes that are CO2-emissions related only apply to vehicles with a maximum overall weight not exceeding 3500kg.

So, if the information on the Spinney webpage is correct, the VED charge when a new ‘up-to-3500kg’ motorhome is first registered will rise dramatically.

(Obviously this would only impact on new motorhomes at UK first-registration. not on motorhomes that are already registered.)

It’s not easy to see how a motorhome manufacturer that produces ‘3 stage’ models

1st stage - obtaining cab or cowl unit

2nd stage - adding AL-KO chassis

3rd stage - adding habitation unit

could provide a credible CO2 figure for each fully converted model, never mind the additional complication of it being possible for a buyer to specify different engines, transmissions and wheel diameters.

I’ve no problem with what the impact would be on UK VED if all motorhome manufacturers MUST provide a CO2 figure on the final stage CoC, but I’m wary that this will indeed be the case.

(If I wanted to investigate this I’d begin by raising the issue through the Bailey Facebook pages, as Bailey produces ‘3 stage’ motorhomes that would be affected.)

This article from earlier this year adds some background:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/motorhome-advice-motorhome-emissions

As for the Spinney extract, I must say I find it (in particular the September 2019 date) questionable (and if I were being cynical I'd regard it as a good incentive to buy (old) stock vehicles).

If we take each of the statements in turn:

European Parliament has introduced new regulations 'The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) to be introduced across Europe on the 1 st September 2019. This has resulted in new vehicle emission tests being based on 'real driving data' which better matches on-the-road performance.

Yes - though the 2019 date is for LCVs, cars have been subject to this since 2018.

In future all road vehicles including motorhomes will have a published Co2 output figure on the type approval certificate.

Quite possibly/probably

HM Treasury has included motorhomes for the purposes of applying VED within the passenger car taxation banding.

It already has, where CO2 figures are quoted (which is rare for multi-stage vehicles)

Motorhome manufacturers building on a Euro 6D/2 base vehicle must specify the WLTP Co2 values on the type approval certificate to allow to tax accordingly.

Quite possibly, but from which date - there is no evidence that this will apply to motorhomes immediately, (and the article from January linked to above implies this will be at a later date if it happens) or that the mechanisms to ensure WLTP and RDE figures can be determined for a multi-stage vehicle are yet in place. (The base vehicle CoC will certainly have to carry a WLTP-derived CO2 figure, but, as currently, I can find no evidence that, as yet, this needs to be/can be carried through to subsequent stage CoC(s) )

Motorhomes with the new Euro 6D/2 specification engine will already pay at least £2,000 over and above a Euro 6B/1 spec motorhome. In addition, all Euro 6D/2 based motorhomes will have a Co2 level that exceed the higher taxation band for the first registration.

I assume the £2000 figure is the extra base-vehicle list price - actual cost increase will obviously depend on market conditions.

VED is likely to be £2,125+ if the motorhome is worth over £40,000 there an additional tax of £320.

If and when any regulations change for motorhomes, that seems likely (under current taxation regulations)

If your motorhome is over 3,500kg no impact as these will still be registered as a heavy goods vehicle at £165.

Possibly (under current taxation regulations - though bringing motorcaravans fully into the "car, CO2-based" taxation regime would be an opportunity to resolve this long-term anomaly)

I suspect change is coming, but I doubt it will be in the next few weeks.

This change to taxation of Euro 6d vans indicated by Spinney is what I was told a couple of weeks ago by another dealer in the NW. The NCC is apparently asking MH dealers to lobby their MPs & are in talks with the relevant authorities to try & get this changed. IIRC the comment was that this was an oversight on the part of Customs & Excise that will require Govenment action to change & the current pre-occupation with the "B" word means a lack of parliamentary time (or maybe will ?) in the near future to make any changes.

A further complication for early delivery of Euro 6d vans is, apparently. the lack of "homologation" - I was told that there are only 2 testing houses that can carry out the homologation testing & they won't start testing new MHs until September. That means a big backlog of vans that will not have a Certificate of Conformity until they can be tested and so cannot be registered. The dealer concerned said he didn't expect to be delivering a Euro 6d van to a customer until December at the earliest as things stand at the moment - he would have vans on the forecourt, could sell those vans, but couldn't register & deliver them until the CoCs arrived. I presume that this homologation of complete vans by an independant testing outfit mentioned is to determine the CO2 emissions of the finished product - if I recall the conversation correctly I think it was said that late supply of Euro 6d chassis to the MH manufacturers had caused delays in the homologation process, but it was a telephone conversation a couple of weeks ago and I could be mis-remembering.

WRT to any Euro 6b vans still on forecourts - they have an exception that allows them to be registered up to the end of August 2020. Any still unsold approaching that point would have to be pre-registered before 1st September 2020.

Nigel B

Archived