Road to Italy.

Ninian

Hi, Driving back in a few weeks time from Spain into France and was thinking of heading over to Italy from Grenoble. I'll be crossing the border at Le Perthus. Have any of you travelled this route and was it OK. Also do I need any special paperwork or permits for Italy as I've never been before. Thanks.

You'll be in high Alp Skiing country between Grenoble & Italy where passes are few and far between. (- and some may still be shut now?) Where in Italy are you thinking of going?

May be better to go into Italy to the South, over eg Tende pass just north of Nice and work your way up to Turin then Chamonix, Geneva etc. That'll give you a taste of Northern Italy and the Alps. Any further East you'll be in Switzerland where you'll need a Vignette.

No special paperwork, it's all eu so free passage over borders. But as said, it's alpine passes and they've had a lot of snow, Mont Blanc and Frejus tunnels are expensive, but I've done Petite St Bernard pass which is leisurely and scenic.

You'll have the same problem heading north, Italy is surrounded by high mountains.

In Switzerland and Austria you need to buy an appropriate sticker.

Ninian - 2018-06-14 4:21 PM

Hi, Driving back in a few weeks time from Spain into France and was thinking of heading over to Italy from Grenoble. I'll be crossing the border at Le Perthus. Have any of you travelled this route and was it OK. Also do I need any special paperwork or permits for Italy as I've never been before. Thanks.

Italy from Spain via Grenoble seems an odd route, as the coastal route would be shorter and quicker, but the route will surely depend on where in Italy you want to go, which you haven't said. As above, there are numerous possible ways across the Alps, many of which will still be closed or open only to vehicles carrying snow chains. Can you clarify where you are heading in Italy?

BTW, if going via Grenoble, it may pay you to get the French CritAir sticker first. Don't know how you'd do that en-route, sorry!

Hi, Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of heading to Turin and I already have the Crit air sticker. I thought the snow would have cleared by now. I don’t have snow chains so possibly coming back via Grenoble is a no go if I went the coastal route as suggested. Thanks.

Archived